Article Painting Wheels

Bike
ST1100
STOC #
I have never been fond of the wheel colour on the anniversary pan, there dull and dark. So when James my son said he had a quiet weekend at the paint shop I decided he should be working on my wheels and booked him.
We had discussed doing the job for a while and had talked about colours for the wheels. I thought about colour coding them to the bike in gold James said it would look a dog, so I left the choice up to him. Here's a pictorial of the job.

First job is to move the 2000TC Rally Rover out the shop it's in getting a new lease of life

At last my bike is in the paint shop

Those leds are going to get in the way

This is the famous If I put these here I will remember where I put them bit.

I should really check these more often

I got my moneys worth out of this pair

Back wheel out shows that the exhaust is going to need work soon and my swing arm cover.

rear drive unit looks good thanks to Molly

Look at the trapped filth in here

This is our special development stand very technical

OK here's the secret. Fun emptying the crate.

Both wheels are now out.

As Saturday boy I get the job of cleaning and rubbing down the wheels.

So this is the colour James has chosen it looks black to me!!!

James cleans the wheels properly to his standard...what's he trying to say by that????

the tyres/tires are masked out again by James as my masking is rubbish.

As you can see I masked the bike and turned it into a bubble.

The base coat is on OK it's not black but it is a bit grey!!

I'm a bit worried now by James' colour choice it still looks drab to me.

OK I should trust James more he knows his job, after the clear coat there no longer drab

James has mixed colours into the lacquer and I end up with wheels that change colour in the light they flip from graphite to gold with a hint of green to match the leds....very nice. The pics cant show the full effect shame.

I get to put the rim graphics on there a bit sporty but I like them

Front wheel in all goes well

Rear wheel in ....now if I could just remember where I put that bolt from earlier!!

All done all back together.....with new pads too

Ready to go home and what a difference the wheels make. I'm really pleased with the job...Thanks to James.

Hope you enjoy the pics...more than I did fitting the rear wheel without the elusive bolt.
Cheers
Paul

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Re: Wheels Painted

Just looked at the UK weather for today.....guess you'll be caging it for a day or two. Enjoyed the read!

Forest

OP
OP
alphafang
Bike
ST1100
STOC #

Thanks for the comments guys
Forest don't belive any weather forcaster my friend. I've been out on the bike today only a short run but we have clear sunny skys and dry roads here at the minute......it's darn cold though.
Paul

48V

Bike
Honda ST 1100
STOC #

Thanks for the comments guys
Forest don't belive any weather forcaster my friend. I've been out on the bike today only a short run but we have clear sunny skys and dry roads here at the minute......it's darn cold though.
Paul
Not that I would wish to thread-jack, but its now snowing fairly heavily here in Bucks.

OP
OP
alphafang
Bike
ST1100
STOC #

Keep it down there 48V your welcome to it matey were doing just fine thanks...lol
Paul

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #

Very smart. I think you should send James down here to paint my topbox lid Shasta White. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
alphafang
Bike
ST1100
STOC #

You didnt do as I asked 48V it's snowing and sticking up here now thanks mate...lol
e-mail coming Houndy

48V

Bike
Honda ST 1100
STOC #

Ach, I'm sorry....its the kicking against authority thing, I can't help it......look on the bright side, at least you weren't in Achnahara, -18 last night!!!!

Brass monkeys beware!!

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!

Thanks for sharing your wheels paint job. Very cool. :cool:

Wish I could see them in person to appreciate the color changing. I bet it's really trick.

Ray

Bike
95 red ST
STOC #

Paul
Great pics, the color of the pan is awesome. I have not yet seen that color. The wheels look great as well. could you recommend a preferred prep method prior to painting the rims? I am setting up to paint mine black on my red 95 ST.
Vinnie

OP
OP
alphafang
Bike
ST1100
STOC #

Hi Vinnie
Thanks for the comments, I had to have the anniversary colour I think the gold really suits the shape of the 1100, it's a shame you guys over there didn't get the limited option.
Preperation is all relative to the state of the wheels before you start. Mine wernt too bad they had the odd chip but the powder coating wasnt lifting any where. If the coating is lifting you have got some serious rubbing down to do. If there not too bad all I did was scotch pad them to get rid of the shine and then made sure they were clean mine were washed down with thinners then panal wipe and a tack rag. They have to be clean you would be amazed at how much grease is on the wheels. Black on a Red bike should look great I think.
Hope all goes well with the paint
Paul

Bike
1994 ST1100

Paul
Great pics, the color of the pan is awesome. I have not yet seen that color. The wheels look great as well. could you recommend a preferred prep method prior to painting the rims? I am setting up to paint mine black on my red 95 ST.
Vinnie
I had mine done at the same time as the frame. Both were in a very sorry state with a patch of bare aluminium on the rear wheel about the same size as the palm of my hand. (I have quite big hands...) I had them shotblasted and then taken straight to a powdercoaters here in Swindon. The bike is maroon (the best colour IMHO) so I had the wheels done light grey. I replaced all the bearings once the blast media was shaken out of the inside... There were plugs and masking plates etc fitted but that stuff gets everywhere. Both frame and rims back as new.

Top Bottom