Final Drive (Shaft) Oil Change

Bike
92 ST1100
1st stuff that came out smelled like old fish on my ST1100 and Chris's ST1300.
I replaced with synthetic 75-90wt gear oil.

Mark
Acually, if using synthetic gear lube, it shold be be 75-140w variety, NOT the 80w nor the 75-90w conventionable gear lube viscosity. As a synthetic lube of the lesser viscosity doesn't have near the 'cushion' needed for ring/pinion gears nor bearings;).

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Acually, if using synthetic gear lube, it shold be be 75-140w variety, NOT the 80w nor the 75-90w conventionable gear lube viscosity. As a synthetic lube of the lesser viscosity doesn't have near the 'cushion' needed for ring/pinion gears nor bearings;).
I guess if you say it enough times, people will believe it! ;)

Good to see you up and at 'em Brant.

Bike
92 ST1100
I guess if you say it enough times, people will believe it! ;)

Good to see you up and at 'em Brant.
Thanks Bush! Not sure bout' the at' em part cept to offer info in areas where my knowledge exists. In this case, have seen internals of Yamaha XS1100 final drives that did LD rides on the 'slab' of 2K or more miles that used synthetic lubes of viscosities equal to conventional gear lube in final drive.....bearings in particular were in a sad state of condition as a result. Additional housing heat was also noted. Heat=additional friction with ring and pinion gear teeth engagement;).

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
While everyone is changing their lube, remember that the fill/drain plugs are subject to breaking. So.... It's better to remove the upper fill plug first. Some folks have drained their lube and THEN found out the fill plug can't be removed, to fill the drive. If either plug breaks and you don't have a spare, the valve adjustment cover plug off many older Hondas will fit.

Ride Safe
John and Janis

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
While everyone is changing their lube, remember that the fill/drain plugs are subject to breaking. So.... It's better to remove the upper fill plug first. Some folks have drained their lube and THEN found out the fill plug can't be removed, to fill the drive. If either plug breaks and you don't have a spare, the valve adjustment cover plug off many older Hondas will fit.

Ride Safe
John and Janis
+1 on the old parts. I have had this happen. Rear end oil changes aren't all that frequent so the O-ring can stick fiercely to both the case and cover groove over that time. I've had the hex head twist right off. Just used a brass hammer and chisel to unscrew the remaining donut. Valve covers from a Trail 90 look similar and fit.
Lube the o-ring groove with a tiny bit of oil to prevent this.

Bike
'05 ST1300 "STinger"
Will [h=1]SAE 80W-90 work? How much does it take?[/h]
80W-90 should be fine. It doesn't take much, 5 or 6 ounces, not sure what that is in ml.
Just fill it until a little spills out the filler hole.

Jeff

Bike
Suzuki GSX F 750
Thanks. Good to know so i dont buy way more or less than i need.

Sent fra min SM-A310F via Tapatalk

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thanks. Good to know so i dont buy way more or less than i need.

I change mine often on shaft drive bikes simply because it's easy and not all that expensive at all... I change about every other oil change. It's overkill but hey, sometimes I just get bored.

Bike
Suzuki GSX F 750
Hehe yeah might as well. Planning on doing full service on my car too. So its going to keep me busy a while. The front on my car have to come off hehehe

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Geo, don't tighten the filler cap too tight, it WILL break. It has an o-ring to seal, so just snug it to close the cap and it's mating surface.

Top Bottom