1991 ST1100 project

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
How do you guys clean up the swing arm area after pulling the fuel tank and top of the engine block after pulling the carbs and what product do you use? Obviously you cant apply engine degreaser and then rinse it off. I sure like the look of the clean engines I have seen in various pictures in some of the links in this thread.

OP
OP
jaysponger

jaysponger

Jay Rena
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Well, she is finally running. George and David came by and did a helluva job, thank you for all the help, thanks also for all the knowledge you provided me, it will be passed on. My happiness can not be contained and I think I went a little bit longer on the test run than expected. A little more in depth history about the bike before I tell you guys what was done to the bike. The bike was owned by a dealer in New Mexico, my buddy bought it from him three years out with a little over than 10,000 miles in 1994. My buddy Blain, rode the bike like the way it should be ridden. However, the September 11, 2001 attack changed all that. My buddy and I are both in the service, Marines, then came the deployments which we love to do.However, we are always out 6-8 months at a time after being home a year. So, coming back from a deployment early 2005 the bike was barely ridden for the last year. With that he just not had the time to get her back in good operating condition. It was not ridden since then. When he came back early summer last year we talked about the bike and after a cigar or two we agreed that I will buy the bike but, I told him I need the title before I pay him. Well, a few weeks ago he was packing his house because he is going out again to deploy for the umphhteen times, he finally found the title, he drop off the bike March 19 and in less than ten days the bike was back from the grave. Thank you George for bringing back to life a wonderful piece of history and machinery. Well, here is the list:

-the problem I encountered was the bike will start on choke but dies after taking it off choke. Meaning carbs are bad, it is bypassing the jets to feed the engine.
-carburator assembly was taken off, the best way is to take off the tank. This will give you more space to work on and you will need to take off the old fuel from the tank anyways. A few "broomstick" was broken for this step. I cleaned the carb a few days before George showed up however he opened it up and the jets are clogged again. So, he brought out his secret weapon, acetone and copper wire. When George looked for the pilot screws he noticed that 2 of them are missing then after a few minutes he found it, it was placed on the outside of the carbs. Mission accomplished!
-drained the radiator and flushed it with hot water about 3 times. During the run up I heard the fan coming on so as far as I know the thermostat is working.
-drained the engine, changed the oil and filter.
-drained the gear oil
-drained the front brake and clutch
-drained the rear brake, well it is more like put fluid than drain. Found out that the piston is sticking so calipers were taken off, gunk taken off, piston scrubbed with scotch brite. Problem solved, rear wheel is spinning freely.
-fuel tank was drained, filter changed. New fuel was put in and some seafoam was also mixed in.
-a couple of connectors with history of problems by the battery was also looked at and vaseline was applied.
-the bike was put together minus the fairings and was started..........ohhh boy! Talking about a kid finally getting his ultimate toy, you guys know the feeling!
-George did the carb sync with his handy dandy tool. Did the drop test, yep the pilot srews were there after all.
-and I rode it for the test run, damn that was good! And I think I took it out a little bit longer than I should for a test run.
-the brakes will be opened up again in conjunction with pads being replaced to change the o-rings.

Again thank you George for everything, David thank you also for your help. When you are in the area stop by and filipino dish will be served. Don't worry no balut! This is not my last entry to this thread. There is a lot of things I will be doing to this bike and it will be posted here. Pictures will be posted as soon as I download it from the camera, George if you don't mind post what you have also. To all the tips that was given to me by you guys thank you, you have been helpful! The cult is alive and well!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jaysponger

jaysponger

Jay Rena
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I forgot to mention, there is a hose under the carb assembly which is a well a known problem for ST's. The clip is rubbing the hose, the clip was moved so it won't touch the hose

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Gotta love hearing about another classic SSMST being taken care of properly! Good work guys!! Wish I could have joined you.

Regards, John
[Keeper of the Unofficial SSMST ReigiSTry]

STOC #
Jay,

Hello and thank you for the nice summary on your motorcycle. It was very nice meeting you and your family. Lunch was great! Again, I think I was just as happy for you as you were to hear your ST start and idle so nicely. You will have many wonderful memories on your new ride and may find you enjoy your 120 mile RT commute. Please consider the headlight and brakelight modulator to minimize your risk. Take care and please stay in touch!

'STaint George',

I sincerely want to thank you for your time and generosity. I learned a lot about the ST1100 while rubbing elbows with you in only two days. It was a pleasure to get to know you better and to chat about telecom, ST's and life in general. Since I may never be able to repay you for your time and efforts, I can only promise to 'pass it along'.... You're one of the most generous souls walking the planet! I look forward to viewing your photographs.

All,

George was 2 for 2 this weekend while not only reviving Jay's ST, but also reviving my ST. Both bikes were stored and neglected for five years. My low speed jets were very badly clogged and it took a bit of effort to open them up while using different size wires. The low speed jets were placed in acetone overnight. Reassembly was delayed due to determining the location CA vacuum equipment. I would suggest taking good notes or labeling as much as possible during disassembly. A digital camera may even be helpful for documenting. After referencing the manual, George was able to determine the manual's diagram was from the perspective of looking up at the bottom of the carb assembly.

Also, George's troubleshooting of the limp clutch isolated the issue to the mastercyclinder. The right header was removed in order to access and remove the slave. It appears the slave may be capable of functioning properly but the hydraulic fluid pressure simply isn't strong enough. Attempts to bleed the clutch manually were unsuccessful. The next step is to disassemble, clean and possibly rebuild the mastercyclinder. Once that is completed, my '96 will be like new and ready for the road!

Thanks again Jay, George and all who contributed to this thread/forum!!!

David Kunze

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Pics from the weekend wrenching.
Just another SSMST (Jay's bike in mid-refresh)san diego 016.jpg

David and Jaysan diego 017.jpg

George and Jaysan diego 018.jpg

Jay and Agnes (most excellent Filipino dishes!)san diego 020.jpg

SSMST undressed but ready to ridesan diego 021.jpg

san diego 022.jpg

san diego 023.jpg

san diego 024.jpg

san diego 025.jpg

Inside David's clutch slave cylinder housing. Obvious water damage, but this area is not critical to clutch operation.san diego 026.jpg

David's three 1100 (98 ABS, 93 standard and 96 ABS (in the garage. STick is just hanging out. :Dsan diego 028.jpg

As Jay mentioned, this coolant hose can get abraided by the clamp from the PAIR valve house under it. David added a couple pieces of inner tube, tie-wrapped in place.san diego 029.jpg

Very gratifying to get Jay's bike running really well. Rebuilding the rear brake caliper wasn't on the original list but was really needed. This bike is in very good shape, STick was/is jealous.

David's 96 ABS is in phenomenal condition (apart from the malfunctioning clutch.) The rubber blanket under the carbs is clean. The exhaust clamps have zero rust. The entire bike is showroom apart from a couple minor scratches. Only 3300 miles!!! To me, that is bike abuse! The CARB hoses (that's California Air Resources Board) were a bit of a PITA, but finally got'em all sorted. (David, I missed getting the Tag by about 3 hours!! :()

Glad to help, guys. The food makes it all worthwhile. :D I topped off the weekend with pie and coffee in Julian on the way home.

OH, and I get to add another 968 miles to my total. :D

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Nice... another great example of members helping each other and George among the best to help you with an ST1100.

OP
OP
jaysponger

jaysponger

Jay Rena
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I will be registering the bike tommorrow. I would like to know, what gas premium or regular. I know premium is the recommended but is there really a difference?

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I will be registering the bike tommorrow. I would like to know, what gas premium or regular. I know premium is the recommended but is there really a difference?
Honda recommends 87 (regular) for the 1100s. Premium for the 1300s.

I'm getting a solid 49 MPG on ReSTored running at highway speeds, 123000 on the bike.

Jay, we need pics with the plastic in place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jaysponger

jaysponger

Jay Rena
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks George, I am buying a few pan head screws and I will be putting the last piece tonight. By the way I got caught by the wife last night caressing my other baby...he he

STOC #
Jay,

Good luck assembling everything. Please post a photo of the finished product and your first impressions of the ST. How are those test rides going? Are you adjusting to the weight of the ST?

I am imagining that you are smiling inside that new helmet<g>.

Take care,

David K.

OP
OP
jaysponger

jaysponger

Jay Rena
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Well, I am about to go out with the bike and I found out that there is a slow leak on the front tire. it will not loose air if it is on center stand but will if on side stand . So the front tire is off and I will get it to a tire store today.:(

Top Bottom