Article [11] ST1100 - Extend Key To Clear Gap From Risers

Bike
ST1100 & FXSTC
This is a repost from my introduction post with some corrections and add-ons.
I'm going to get some pictures posted for a bit of visual aid.
I hope someone can use this info.

So, here's my contribution to this forum.
It's a completely original creation or idea, if you will.
Any other idea that maybe similar is purely coincidental.
Please let me know if you have heard of this idea before.
Read through this entire process once before you try to figure it out.

When I first got my ST1100, it was equipped with 1" handlebar risers, as many ST's that I've notice are also modded.
Great invention, these risers.
However, these risers cause the handlebar trim/cover panel to float up to 1" above the ignition/key switch.
This 1" gap causes the stock Honda keygrip to drag inside of the trim hole and sometimes bind.

It also offers less of the key to hold and turn comfortably.
I looked through many key blanks at many hardware stores for a suitable substitute that would help with this problem.
I had these many stores cut many experimental keys for me before I finally put together the right combination of
key blank and key cutting method to work perfectly for this configuration.
Go to a Lowes or Home Depot or any store where you can purchase at least two Axxess brand key blanks, number 30 only!!
Do not allow them to cut the key!!
The Axxess key cutting machine does not allow for proper locating of the key blank for this cutting.
Take these key blanks to your friendly neighborhood ACE hardware store.
You may also opt to take these blanks to a locksmith.
In any case, make sure that the store has the old style key cutting machine with the open cutters
where the operator can freely clamp the key into the machine.

First, you must convince the key cutting operator to be patient and you that know exactly what you want to achieve here.
You'll have to supervise the operation in order to have it done properly,
but it shouldn't be a difficult concept for an experienced key cutting operator to grasp.
Have the original/stock key clamped normally into the cutting machine to be copied,
then have the operator carefully clamp your number 30 key blank into the machine.
It must be clamped so as to match the shoulder of the keys to one another.
The original key's shoulder will be square, as oppsosed to the tapered shoulder of the #30 key blank.
Match the widest point of the taper to the square shoulder of original key.
It sounds complicated but, it's a simple concept, if you examine and compare the original to your #30 key blank.
The next and final cut is more critical than the first because it must match the first opposed cut perfectly in order to work in the lock/switch.
Make sure that the widest points of the tapered shoulder are used as the points of reference
for getting the cuts exactly opposite from one another.
Your efforts will be richly rewarded with an ST key, that is almost an inch taller where it counts.
This new key will clear your handlebar cover/panel, with a large, comfortable gripping surface and will operate all of your ST's locks.

If you take the project to a locksmith shop, they may know exactly what you're trying to achieve and cut it without too much supervision.

You want the length of the cut portion of the #30 key to precisely match the original.
Also both sides must be cut in symmetry in order for the key to work.

A cheap fix for what I found to be a very annoying problem.
Try it out and please let me know your comments.

This idea should work on most any bike that has the same problem.
You'll just have to find the compatible key blank.

Last edited:

JD5

Re: Extended ST1100 key to clear gap from installed risers

After doing the flip clip mod I tried your #30 two axxess key mod. I didnt want to let a minute go by without thanking you. The key works perfectly.I know you must have gone thru hell with all the different possible combinations of blanks and I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge in such great detail... pics and all . Its guys like you and all the others here that make this forum such a great resource of information for a bike that we all love. ...THANK YOU!

Bike
91-ST1100 & PC800
STOC #

Hi
I have a 91 ST1100 and want to put bar back/bar risers on it but have been told that all
bar risers on this motorcycle require not using the plastic cover over the bars... is the key
problem all there is or is there more to it? everyone says you must leave it off.
you can reply directly if you wish to motorcycledave@mac.com
Thanks a million
Dave

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #

Hello ___,

A good find, nicely done.

One comment: there are two versions of ST1100 ignition keys, Type 1 and Type 2, the main difference being the keys' cross-section. It appears that your key blank has the same cross-section as the OEM Type 2 keys:
Ignition Key Code Info (ST1100 Archive Of Wisdom - ST-Riders.net)
I suspect that there is probably an Axxess key blank for the other type too.

There have been many different approaches to the recessed ignition switch problem over the years, but yours is the first with a single/one-piece key. All the others involved attaching an extension to a modified OEM-size key.

Regards, John

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #

I took that plastic cover off as soon as I got the bike for no other reason than not wanting to have to constantly look at that ugly thing..

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #

I took that plastic cover off as soon as I got the bike for no other reason than not wanting to have to constantly look at that ugly thing..
Dean, you don't have the early model years' handlebars with the ugly rectangular mounting plate welded to the middle of them. :)

John

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #

That doesn't sound pretty John. I'll have to have a closer look at those older 1100s..

Re: ST1100-Extend Key To Clear Gap From Risers

The Honda "Type 1 key" uses an AXXESS 50 LONG KEY. ( for an 2001 ST1100 )
I did this and it works! The cut is on the left side for a 1 sided stronger key.
2 sided not needed.

The (much appreciated) above tech notes refer to a #30 long, key blank..

Cheers,
Bob G.:bow1:

Bike
ST1100

Here in Australia I found that a generic Toyota key had the same profile and was the desired length. The only difference was the thickness of the key. After getting the locksmith the grind down both sides just a touch the key fits perfectly and clears the panel nicely. What's more they are available at every locksmith I have tried.
Cheers,
A

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #

Not to say this is not a great fix for the short key question when using a riser, but there is a nice option I have seen that allows one to keep the cover in the stock location and gives your back a break too. BMW K75 bars for one will mount up and give you about 3" rise. You will need to trim some on the cover to allow for the added verticle rise of the bars but it looks good.
Cudos to both methods. :clap2:

Bike
99 ST1100 (Std)

My NTM '99 ST1100 came with 1" risers so of course the key was just barely sticking out of the ignition. Inspired by the discussion in this thread I came up with my own solution - in my workshop I found an old remote transmitter from the Ford Explorer we had scrapped a couple of years ago so I pulled it apart, removed the circuit board & battery, and cut a recess out of the bottom end so my ST key would fit into the remote. I then filled the remote case with epoxy, set the key in position, closed up the case, and after letting the epoxy dry for 24 hrs finished the job by enclosing the entire remote with shrink wrap tubing. Here's the end result -

Attachments

Top Bottom