headlight motor problem need help

Bike
06 ST1300
so I was driving home tonight and noticed my head lights were aimed down alot more than usual, i i turnt he knob and nothing, *** so i get home and check fuses al good, i pull the front fairing and all good, i check voltage running to the motor, good, so i figure its the motor,

anyone else had this problem, and does anybody know someone parting out a st. or is the ST 1100 the same one possibley

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Several of us have had the motor assembly replaced under warranty. My symptoms were the headlight "hunting" up and down at random.

Bike
ST1300
Several of us have had the motor assembly replaced under warranty. My symptoms were the headlight "hunting" up and down at random.
+1. I had the same symptoms (hunting up and down) last fall with the same resolution.

George
Posted via Mobile Device

MOTO JUNKIE

South Louisiana
I have heard some motor action sounds eminating from that area. Could my headlight motor be going out? Hunting describes it exactly, few moments here, fraction there.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
It will usually begin just making noise (hunting) on start-up. It then gets worse until it finally quits.

The dealers often don't understand the smart motor and start shotgunning the problem by having to order and replace the adjuster on the dash. It's the motor that fails. The part number is 33130-MCA-003. Save time and clue the dealer in if it's under warranty. If not, just order the part and replace it yourself.

Ray

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Yup,,, this describes today's problem. The first symptom was that an unusually larger number of teen males driving pickup trucks were flipping me double birds. Then,, I noticed the headlight motor hunting on start ups. Now I just want to unplug the auto system,,, and adjust the vertical aim manually,, while I look into a new motor. Is this possible ?? thx,, Cat'

It will usually begin just making noise (hunting) on start-up. It then gets worse until it finally quits.

The dealers often don't understand the smart motor and start shotgunning the problem by having to order and replace the adjuster on the dash. It's the motor that fails. The part number is 33130-MCA-003. Save time and clue the dealer in if it's under warranty. If not, just order the part and replace it yourself.

Ray

Last edited:

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yup,,, this describes today's problem. The first symptom was that an unusually larger number of teen males driving pickup trucks were flipping me double birds. Then,, I noticed the headlight motor hunting on start ups. Now I just want to unplug the auto system,,, and adjust the vertical aim manually,, while I look into a new motor. Is this possible ?? thx,, Cat'
To go manual just unplug the gray wiring connector found right in the middle of the back of the headlight housing.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
So just got the parts quote from Honda Canada,, $160 plus taxes,,, so $180.cdn total. Or,,, I could just wait till my next US trip,, and pick it up for $55.us ($75.cdn),, less than half price. Till then,, manual adjustment seems to be the way to go,,, Cat'

Bike
2005 ST1300
To go manual just unplug the gray wiring connector found right in the middle of the back of the headlight housing.

Hoping to get clarification. Is the wire I need to disconnect located where I circled in this pic?

Hoping the wire just disconnects the adjustment motor and nothing else? What kind of connector is it can I just pull on it or do I need to squeeze some ears too? This won't disconnect power to my headlights will it?

If I can't get my hand in there what do you think would happen if I just cut the wire when the bike was turned off?

I am going to attempt to do it without removing any Tupperware. Any tips?

Kind of curious , what are those white knobs on either side of this assembly?

Thanks, all input is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, that's the location of the connector for the adjuster motor, and only the motor. The connector will have a locking tab you release by squeezing or pressing down on it. I think this one only has one tab and it's on the side facing directly back. Might be one on either side though.

Don't cut the wire. Don't even.

Come up from underneath to get fingers on the connector.

The white knobs are horizontal adjustments for the headlights.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I removed my plug-in from below,,, going in right above the fender. You have to press the release catch on the exterior of the plug. Take a flashlight,, and get a visual on things from the top first,,, as you will be working blind. Acutally,,, I have not been missing my adjustor motor,, and have not arranged for a replacement as yet. Cat'

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I don't think mine has worked sense I got the bike. I tried to use the adjuster a few times when I first got it and it didn't seem to do anything so I haven't touched it again.
I think it would be nice to have for going two up so you can adjust the light a bit down if needed and then adjust back up when solo. But, I really don't know as I haven't used it. lol
At some point I will troubleshoot the issue when the plastic is off for other reasons but until then it stays how it is.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I removed my plug-in from below,,, going in right above the fender. You have to press the release catch on the exterior of the plug. Take a flashlight,, and get a visual on things from the top first,,, as you will be working blind. Acutally,,, I have not been missing my adjustor motor,, and have not arranged for a replacement as yet. Cat'
Good advice to review w/flashlight. Somehow I was able to get a pair of small pliers on to the connector and clip. Slight squeeze and pull. Took all of 60 seconds.

I just let the wire dangle.

Thanks All !

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Onicabbit

Tailess Cabbit!
Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour
STOC #
Ah damn guess mine was failing as well. I though that was normal. I ended up having the Stealer replace it while replacing the alternator.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
So my headlight motor has quit. Has anyone replaced the motor themselves? I have the headlight off and haven't been able to figure out how to remove the motor. Ive got the cover off the motor unit and see that the shaft that enters the headlight housing but cant tell how to disconnect the shaft.

Thanks Jeff

Top Bottom