Cardo Scala Rider Q2 & Volume

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I'm very interested in the Cardo Scala Rider Q2 and would have ordered it tonight had I not run across a post about the unit and low speaker volume. Both my wife & I have full faces helmets and ride with 32 db earplugs.

My Question: Does anyone know if the Cardo Scala Rider Q2 has sufficient volume to put out clearly audible sound at highway speeds while wearing earplugs?

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I can hear my Autocom music & intercom while wearing earplugs. However, I can't hear the phone very well. I usually use in ear speakers so it really doesn't matter. Keith has the Autocom Active Plus Duo for something like $265 right now.

My son and I have been using the Cardo system for Bike to Bike comms
for nearly a year. We can both, highly RECOMEND these units.
He is riding a Suzuki SV 650 with a full face helmet and I am riding a Goldwing
with a 3/4 helmet.
To the point, we only use earplugs when we expect to be riding all day.
When using earplugs neither of us have had trouble hearing the comms.

We use the standard foam type earplugs. Plenty of volume.

The units are monaural, the FM part we rarely use. Occasionally, we bluetooth our phones built-in MP3 players to the Scala riders.

If I could have one improvement, it would be Stereo, an AD2P protocall.

I hope this helps. ........Don

P.S. battery life has been about 8-10 hours, recharge time 1 hour.
I recharge them from my wing's DC outlets.

A thought about "low speaker volume" I found that speaker placement within the ear cavity of the helmet made a Large difference. I know, that is just common sense, but I experienced low volume at first also. A little tinkering with placement solved this issue for me. I also have a full face helmet set-up for the Scala Rider and simply switch the electronic unit onto
the extra clamp to change helmets. I belive the extra headsets are about
20-30 dollars I don't remember exactly. Good Luck .......Don

:TiWing1: and Beau :sbs1:

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
I'm very interested in the Cardo Scala Rider Q2 and would have ordered it tonight had I not run across a post about the unit and low speaker volume. Both my wife & I have full faces helmets and ride with 32 db earplugs.

My Question: Does anyone know if the Cardo Scala Rider Q2 has sufficient volume to put out clearly audible sound at highway speeds while wearing earplugs?
We have the Teamset installed in our RF1000 Shoeis and have no problem hearing the intercom over the music with our noise isolating earbuds in.
Bluetooth is great cause I hate wires dangling.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Keith has the Autocom Active Plus Duo for something like $265 right now.
Ray, I was just on Autocom's website and they don't show a "Duo" Active Plus. Only a "Solo" with a list price of $199. Is this perhaps a discontinued unit?

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
When using earplugs neither of us have had trouble hearing the comms.

We use the standard foam type earplugs. Plenty of volume.

Any idea what the decibel rating of your earplugs are? The Db rating of mine are 32. I want to make sure before plopping down $300+ that I can hear my passenger OK with the earplugs in while doing 70 mph down the highway.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I hate wires dangling.
I hate wires for another reason. They always fail at some point. Most wired electric devices I have, seem to only be good for about one or two seasons then a wire looses connection due to an internal break.

I just had a radar interface fail that was only 2 years old. I thought I could just repair it myself by cutting the headset wire and soldering in a new socket. When I got in I found that the wires were so incredibly thin that there was no way I'd be able to solder them. Not only were they thin but a couple of the wires were actually dual feed wires. These super thin wires are an obvious cost cutting measure. If they used some decent, robust wiring these things would be much more reliable. Nothing screws up a once a year, long distance trip like having your electronics fail on you while on the road.

Last edited:

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Mick, here is Keith's phone number and some prices. He is in Oklahoma and his screen name here is Keith if you would like to PM him.
Autocom's are not wireless, but they will last for years and they are expandable. You can buy a BT adapter to BT your phone to it though.
Here is the post with Keith's info.

"Everybody keeps talking about Autocom being pricey well here are some prices:

Kit 200 solo rider $165.00
kit 200 Duo 265.00
Kit 300 Super Pro 275.00

accessories 15% off of list..............compare that to starcom...

918-446*2245"

kieth

Autocom
The Active Plus Duo kit has been discontinued, it is simply a active plus kit with the addition of a 2nd headset and passenger extension lead. Kieth

give me a call if you want to discuss....918-446-2245

Mick

Sorry, I have no idea how many db standard foam earplugs reduce ambient noise.
I am sure that both sets were expensive, but I dont remember how much I spent on them.
Oddly, I DO remember the price I paid for all the other equipment that we tried and didn't work.

Good Luck

Bike
'05 ST1300
I purchased the Scala 2 Multi-set in November of last year. It was the best purchase I've ever made. High marks in all areas. I've never had a problem w/ volume. The voice answer on bluetooth is the best. I've never missed a call while riding. I agree with some of the others about stereo. If that was available on the unit, the experience would be that much better.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I purchased the Scala 2 Multi-set in November of last year. It was the best purchase I've ever made. High marks in all areas. I've never had a problem w/ volume. The voice answer on bluetooth is the best. I've never missed a call while riding. I agree with some of the others about stereo. If that was available on the unit, the experience would be that much better.

Do you wear ear plugs while riding?

I always wear the foam earplugs. My wife and I bought the Q2 team set last summer. We love ours.

At first I couldn't hardly hear her. then I realized my speakers were off about an inch. fixed that so they are directly opposite my ear canals and I can hear just fine.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Another question. I notice that the Scala Q2 has an auxiliary audio input for MP3 players. Can this be used to plug in a Valentine One radar detector somehow?

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
Any idea what the decibel rating of your earplugs are? The Db rating of mine are 32. I want to make sure before plopping down $300+ that I can hear my passenger OK with the earplugs in while doing 70 mph down the highway.
The earplugs I wear have a NRR(Noise Reduction Rating) of 33DbA and I can hear the intercom easily with those in my ears at 70MPH.
The placement of the speakers in the helmet is the key and you may have to play with it until you get it the way you want.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
The earplugs I wear have a NRR(Noise Reduction Rating) of 33DbA and I can hear the intercom easily with those in my ears at 70MPH.
The placement of the speakers in the helmet is the key and you may have to play with it until you get it the way you want.

Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks Chris.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I read something in this article that spooks me a little bit. Several folks responded with emails (bottom of the article) saying they had battery problems. Each time they charged the units up, the useful charge life became less and less. Potentially big problem here because the batteries are built in,... not replaceable. Anyone have this problem or were these respondents just doing something wrong??

Top Bottom