steering head bearing 1300

STOC #
I have decided im going to replace the steering head bearing with roller bearing. 60k thousand on the stock bearing and I figure its time for a change.

Time to gather parts. CBR bearing will be called this week. I will have to get bearing races and seals. I think they sell everything i need but i could be wrong. I might as well change out the front wheel bearing as the wheel will be off. Bearing races and seals for the wheel also.

If memory serves me correctly there is a tool floating around to do the steering bearing. How can I get it if its avail for the 1300? What am i missing or forgetting?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have decided im going to replace the steering head bearing with roller bearing. 60k thousand on the stock bearing and I figure its time for a change.

Time to gather parts. CBR bearing will be called this week. I will have to get bearing races and seals. I think they sell everything i need but i could be wrong. I might as well change out the front wheel bearing as the wheel will be off. Bearing races and seals for the wheel also.

If memory serves me correctly there is a tool floating around to do the steering bearing. How can I get it if its avail for the 1300? What am i missing or forgetting?
I have one, PM me your address and I'll send it out in the morning.. just send it back when you're done. It works on the ST11/ST13/GL18 and probably many others.

OP
OP
nybryan
STOC #
Mellow and i spoke and he has the socket with teeth <spanner wrench I think> like i do. I thought there was another tool to get the races out or drive the new races in. I know i could use the original worn races to tap in the new ones but i though there was something else that makes it easier.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
There was another set of tools floating around that had the tools to remove and set the new races. I borrowed them from a member of the ST mailing list that is now defunct. This was back in 2007 though, so I don't know if the info is still good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nybryan
STOC #
mleck
Did you put tappered bearing in? Did it make a difference in the bike? I figure any fresh bearing race set up is going to feel better then these worn ones.

bryan

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I put the tapered bearings in my ST1100 when I had it and it did make quite a difference in the steering feel. I only had 30,000 miles when I made the switch. The biggest thing is getting the preload on the bearings correct. I ended up using the scale method of measuring the turning resistance that is found in the Honda common service manual. The link I listed above contains some links to other articles that describe the process very nicely.

My ST1300 only has 4500 miles on it now, but I will convert it to tapered bearings sometime down the road.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Re: steering head bearing 1300 / STOC ST1100 R&R Tool Kit

There was another set of tools floating around that had the tools to remove and set the new races. I borrowed them from a member of the ST mailing list that is now defunct. His email address was: xxxxx@xxxx. This was back in 2007 though, so I don't know if the info is still good.

Michael... Michael... The LiST isn't defunct! It just changed form from an email based listserv to a web-based forum:
www.ST-Riders.net
It's STill the longeST running and biggeST internet community of ST1100riders.

I still don't know if the stem tool kit that I loan out:
HONDA ST1100 STEERING STEM RACES/BEARINGS R&R TOOL KIT
will work on the ST1300. I'm still waiting to hear if the Honda special tool for the ST1100 stem adjustment nut works on the ST1300.

Also, I need to know:
- the maximum OD of the ST1300 steering stem above the bottom section where the race/bearing is fitted
- the ID of the ST1300 lower stem race (OEM)/tapered bearing (aftermarket)
TIA

John

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I'm still waiting to hear if the Honda special tool for the ST1100 stem adjustment nut works on the ST1300.
John, is this the tool you're talking about, if so, this will work on many Hondas.

Attachments

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #

John, is this the tool you're talking about, if so, this will work on many Hondas.
Hi Joe. Looks the same. The Honda part number is listed in my tool loan post, above.

[edit: OK, the PN spec'd for the ST1100 stem is: 07916-3710100 / SOCKET STEM]

[ALSO - I assume the races remover will work on any bike with large ID races, BUT the stem races drivers/press tool are custom made for the ST1100 OEM and tapered bearings; so...
are the ST1300 races the same size as the ST1100s'..????]

The stem tapered bearing driver holder in the kit is hand-made and the ID of the common pipe stock used is a tight fit over the top portion of ST1100 stems (had to be slightly bored out to fit 96-02 ABS stems).

And the driver itself (a common pipe coupler) was carefully ground by hand to fit the OEM race and inner race of aftermarket tapered bearings...

Hence my questions about these measurements.

John

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yeah, the part number is 07916-3710100 and if you do a search on the net you'll find many different honda forums and online shops saying that's the one for that particular bike/product.

Thanks John!

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Yeah, the part number is 07916-3710100 and if you do a search on the net you'll find many different honda forums and online shops saying that's the one for that particular bike/product.

Thanks John!
Thanks, Joe. I added some more questions in an edit of my previous last post you might have missed.

The real star of my tool kit is the hand-made races press tool (item #1 in the loan post pic) that Martin Belef, STOC 4148, made and donated to STOC (ST-Riders, ST-O, and MY-MC). Makes a difficult task quite easy. If it fits ST1300s' stem frame races also, I'll be more than happy to lend the whole kit to STOC ST1300riders also.

Somebody let me know, please.

John

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Not at all, I know the 'kit' is much more than that one tool. I just always here of the 'special tool' which I wasn't sure if that was this or the items you mentioned or the whole 'kit'.

OP
OP
nybryan
STOC #
Hi John.

If you would be so kind as to lend me your kit I would be most grateful. A fellow ster is going to help me out with this project. I will be ordering parts this week but he will be away next weekend, the weekend after that is easter so that might delay us one more week but we might go for it on sat the 12th but it could easily be the 19th. If you would lend it to me i would be glad to pay shipping both ways and throw a few bucks in the tool kitty. I'm not sure if laying it up for a few weeks with me is an issue.

Just let me know and I will private message my contact info

Bryan

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Sorry John, after the end of the mailing list I initially joined ST-Riders.net. Things took a little while to get going on that forum, so I started hanging out here and forgot about ST-Riders.net. The mailing list served me well and I learned a lot about farkling ST's from the list. You helped me when I replaced the head and swing arm bearings on my ST1100. I meant no disrespect to ST-Riders.net when I called the mailing list defunct.

Sorry about the email address thing too.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Bryan and all,

I've been lending out ST1100 tools for many years now. I don't coordinate the loans of any of the kits by individual posts/requests on any of the three ST forums, including PMs. Direct email only, and only after borrowees have read the tool loan info poSTed on ST-Riders, and agree to/accept the simple terms experience has taught me to make.

All the kits and the info to borrow them are poSTed here:
http://www.stocrallies.com/st-riders/index.php?board=15.0

Here's the direct link to the stem tools info:
http://www.stocrallies.com/st-riders/index.php?topic=714.0

Bryan, when you order your races and bearings, please find out if they also fit the ST1100. TIA

Regards, John

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
FWIW, here's a picture of the ST1100 stem tools from my Webshots album, with its caption added below:

"This is the tool kit for removing and replacing OEM or aftermarket bearings races and bearings on Honda ST1100 steering stems.
1 - upper and lower frame races press
2 - steering stem tapered bearing (or OEM race) driver
3 - races remover
4 - steering bearing adjustment nut wrench
5 - spacer for lock nut tightening
6 - frame races driver [optional]
7 - steering stem nut socket (30mm)
8 - hook wrench for lock nut tightening"

Last edited:
Top Bottom