Highway Pegs

MorleyJC

Der Weg ist das Ziel
Bike
'05 ST1300A
So I am prioritizing my list of eventual Farkles and I'm really interested in Highway Pegs. Ive done a search on the forum and have found a few threads discussing pros/cons and installation but what I am lacking is a good set of pictures of them installed.

Can anyone link or take a picture of the pegs installed, and even more important of someone sitting on the bike with their feet on their pegs so I can get an idea of what posture they put you in?

Much thanks in advance :bow1:

OP
OP
MorleyJC

MorleyJC

Der Weg ist das Ziel
Bike
'05 ST1300A
Well whether my vernacular is correct I think were talking about the same thing- I guess next question would be how to highway pegs, MCL wings, and Steed Sticks differ?

I just installed Larry Buck's Touring Pegs today. I like them. They look nice and seem to function well, too. I'll give them a ride tomorrow. Excellent quality and instructions, too.

These may be an alternative to some choices.

Here's some photos:

Hey, James ...

Well, I went out for a short hour ride this afternoon in the wind here in New England.

It was coolish ... but, on the way home I pushed down the pegs and placed my feet ... and later ... my legs on these deals.

Yes, they do allow for a different leg position. This is good. But, I'm a larger person. I'm 6' 3" and have a 35" inseam. These Buck pegs don't allow me to reach out much. I did like the difference in the position my feet were in ... but, I'd like more 'reach'.

I have Mic O'Pegs (?) on my Wing. I do not use them. They are not comfy for me. And, not EZ to hook up either. Plus, they look odd.

Still looking for a solution to long distance riding. Guess "IT" will never really come. Just how riding a motocycle is, eh. :)

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
For comparison, here some "not that professional" pics of the Motorcycle Larry highway pegs. You'll probably get better pics at his web site "MCL OUT OF BUSINESS - DO NOT ORDER"

I like the looks when folded up and not being used (which is most of the time) and they're easy to fold out with your foot while riding. They provide a good leg stretch (I'm 6'2" with long legs). I can straighten my legs out which pushes me back on the seat to the lip of the rear seat - just a short stretch then ride back in the normal seated position with legs slightly bent. Good for catching some air up the riding suit on a warm day.

Well designed, durable and easy to install. Takes about 5 minutes a side. It's a quality product and from what I've observed at several STOC events, the most prevalent on STs.

Shuey

Pics: Closed, Open, foot on peg (note, excuse the cheesecake, bike is in the closed garage, I'm actually an ATGATT kind of rider)

Attachments

stellarpod

It's hungry in here...
Bike
'07 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam so I understand your concern about leg room. I looked at MCL's Wings and Steed Sticks. Ultimately, I chose the Steed Sticks (purchsed off eBay) for a couple of reasons:

1) By my estimation the Steed Sticks allow about 3" more stretch length than the MCL Wings, because the pivot point is substantially further forward.

2) The shape of the Steed Sticks is traditionally round. They are Kuryakyn pegs which include rubber inserts to enhance better boot purchase. The normal cylindrical shape allows you to lay your ankles on top of the pegs in comfort without them trying to fold back in. I had concern whether the MCL Wings would try to fold up if I laid my ankles on them. This is purely speculative, as I have no firsthand experience. Perhaps someone who has them can verify or dispute.

Although the Steed Sticks fold in somewhat inconspicuously underneath the tipover wings, they definitely are not as aesthetically appealing as the MCL Wings. In that regard I must give Motorcycle Larry the edge. But for me, it is an issue of form following function.

The single biggest detraction for the Steed Sticks is that you must remove them anytime you need to take the side panels off. This gets old and really makes you think twice about installing new farkles within.

If I had it to do over again, I'd still opt for the Steed Sticks. For the taller rider, I believe they're a clearly superior solution, albeit with a couple of compromises as stated above.

Steve

OP
OP
MorleyJC

MorleyJC

Der Weg ist das Ziel
Bike
'05 ST1300A
How hard were the Steed Sticks to install?

I think aesthetically I like the MCL wings better, but the Steed Sticks look more functional with the longer reach and being able to rest your leg and not just your foot on them.

Ill have to compare them price-wise

stellarpod

It's hungry in here...
Bike
'07 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
How hard were the Steed Sticks to install?

I think aesthetically I like the MCL wings better, but the Steed Sticks look more functional with the longer reach and being able to rest your leg and not just your foot on them.

Ill have to compare them price-wise

Installation requires that the tipover wing covers be removed. The Steed Sticks are mounted on a bracket/plate which is positioned on top of the tipover bar. It is then secured from the bottom with two clamps and retained by four socket-head capscrews. The screws are not metric, so that's a minor hassle (very minor). A couple of the screws are however a bit hard to get to. But like everything else on the ST, it gets easier with experience.

One issue that I had is that the screws only catch a few threads in the bracket plate. In fact, you've got to really crank down on them to get them to even come up flush with the plate on the opposite side. I have to use a box end wrench looped over the end of my Allen wrench to give me enough cheater to really crank them down. Although I worry that over time, removing and reinstalling them might wear the threads on the plate, it hasn't seemed to do so yet. And I've probably removed/re-installed them at least a half a dozen times. I use a bit of anti-seize on the threads just in case. A squirt of WD-40 would probably suffice too.

Once they are installed you must cut out the tipover wing covers to accommodate the bracket. This is no big deal as a template is supplied. If you've got a Dremel tool it's a piece of cake.

I could probably take a few shots of the bracket with the covers off if that would help you.

Steve

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
1) By my estimation the Steed Sticks allow about 3" more stretch length than the MCL Wings, because the pivot point is substantially further forward.

2) . . . I had concern whether the MCL Wings would try to fold up if I laid my ankles on them.
The Stick pics look great. Regarding Point #1, from pics, looks like an accurate estimate. Definitely more forward.

Regarding the question in Point #2 - They DO fold up if you try to use them for a leg rest, doesn't work well for that.

But, they bolt on without any modifications and don't block any of the tupperware. Easy to install, easy to take off and as for me, I don't use them all that much anyway.

Shuey

PS: Another tip for we long leggers, replacing the STock foot pegs with GL1800 pegs will lower the pegs about 1 1/2". Again, very easy to put on as it attaches exactly the same with the same pins. I asked a mech at my local Honda shop and he gave me a pair for free out of a parts box.

stellarpod

It's hungry in here...
Bike
'07 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Thanks for the firsthand info,Shuey.

BTW - We missed you at the Hutchinson,KS - Roy's BBQ run. :D

Now, back to the original topic.

Steve

OP
OP
MorleyJC

MorleyJC

Der Weg ist das Ziel
Bike
'05 ST1300A
I test road a bike that had lower pegs and found my feet hit the ground nearly every significant turn. Do you run into that issue?

Im inclined a bit more to the Steed Sticks for the function over asthetics. You said you got yours off ebay? How much did they run you?

PopJack

Die young, after a long life.
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Information only: I have the MCL wings. I frequently rest my ankles on them when I'm riding and they haven't folded for me. I have to be a little careful my leg doesn't slide off and land heel first on the pavement... hasn't happened yet, but if it does I'll try and organize something for everyone to sign my cast.

I'm not a tall as you guys, though. 6'0" and 5'11" of it is above the waist.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I have to be a little careful my leg doesn't slide off and land heel first on the pavement... hasn't happened yet, but if it does I'll try and organize something for everyone to sign my cast.
I fixed that problem this weekend by a product that happens to be two fold for me. I took out the little acorn nuts off the ends and replaced them with a RAM ball on the end of each. I actually installed the RAM ball to mount my GoPro Hero camera off of, but on the ride home I found they double quite nicely as a leg holder also. I will attach pictures in another thread and then post the link here.

Last edited:

stellarpod

It's hungry in here...
Bike
'07 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I test road a bike that had lower pegs and found my feet hit the ground nearly every significant turn. Do you run into that issue?
I've heard claim that the bolt that holds the peg on the bracket becomes a hardpoint and the first point to touch in a hard lean, but I've never had an issue. Now, I'm not the most aggressive rider out there, but I'm no slouch either. I've also seen suggestions to reverse the bolt with the head down so as to minimize the bolts bottom protrusion. But, as I've not had an issue I haven't seen fit to do this, as the whole affair looks cleaner with the bolt head properly on top.

Im inclined a bit more to the Steed Sticks for the function over asthetics. You said you got yours off ebay? How much did they run you?
I believe I paid $250 as shown in STNY's link.

I fixed that problem this weekend by a product that happens to be two fold for me. I took out the little acorn nuts off the ends and replaced them with a RAM ball on the end of each. I actually installed the RAM ball to mount my GoPro Hero camera off of, but on the ride home I found they double quite nicely as a leg holder also. I will attach pictures in another thread and then post the link here.
That's a pretty slick set up. Good idea!

Steve

I,m also looking for pegs and from what I've seen in some of your replies I think Steed Stickers are the ones I want. Anyone know where I can purchase them? Please my old legs hurt.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I have never used Steed Sticks, but they look like they could possible be a danger in being below the tip over wing and draggin on the ground earlier than other parts of the bike. Not sure, just an observation.

stellarpod

It's hungry in here...
Bike
'07 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I have never used Steed Sticks, but they look like they could possible be a danger in being below the tip over wing and dragging on the ground earlier than other parts of the bike. Not sure, just an observation.
There is no doubt that an unexpected hardpoint touching the ground in a hard turn could spell disaster for the rider. But it would be no less disastrous than the actual tipover wing touching. The difference is that the Steed Sticks do extend that potential hardpoint a bit lower and you could therefore touch pavement a bit sooner.

As I stated previously, I'm sure that a better rider than I could lay into a turn to such a degree that this would become an issue. But, I have ridden pretty darn aggressively and have yet to have them touch. Let's just say that if they touch I would already be in way over my head and well beyond my ability.

It then becomes an issue of threshold, whether you ride so aggressively that you would not want anything protruding at all lower than what comes on the stock bike. Again, however, if you're not familiar with where your bike touches in the first place, then touching a tipover wing is going to be just as unexpected and shocking. :eek:4:

For me, it would just mean that I was in even further over my head. :D

Your mileage may vary.

Steve

Top Bottom