MCL Highway Blades-ST1300

Bike
Bonnie
the previous owner had them. i prob wouldn't have added them myself. but after a few 500 mi trips i find its nice to be able to change position usin the blades. and on warm days it's nice to have your legs out in the air too.

I would love to see a pic of someone using the blades.
The way they get mounted, they seem to be too close to the rider (for me anyway)

On my previous bike, hwy pegs were an almost "must have" addon to the bike, as they allwed you to stretch right out and change riding position, excellent for long rides.

Tazmool

Bike
Bonnie
i'm 6'. it's def not the same position that i see most cruisers types with their legs almost completely straight. my legs are prob bent at the knee ~45 degrees iirc

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I just switched to the STeed STicks instead of the MCL blades because of knee pain that I got from using them. Your legs are up higher than the normal pegs and are bent at 45 deg angle. The STeed STicks are lower and farther forward.

Diggers1300

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The blades work for me. I'm 5'10". I don't use them much, just to give my legs a different position for a short period of time. You can always set your boots on top of the pegs to completely straighten out your knees. Can't wait to use them on my really long trip to CampSTOC in CT next month.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
They didn't work for me... 5'8" and 28 inseam... My legs never felt like they were resting.

The steed sticks look like a better option, but the ones mounted lower just don't give me a good 'clearance' feel and the ones mounted higher look too high.

Mick O Pegs is supposed to be coming out with some new retractable ones, many Wingers have them and like them a lot so keep your eye out for those...

RCS

I thought about them and changing the seat too since virtually each of my rides is 600 miles as fast as I can - of course within the legal speed limit.

In reading threads here I found a workaround that has served me well for the last 8 rides or 4,800 miles. I use a stock seat and when on the fairly deserted highway I put my heals on the passenger pegs and my knees on the fairing pads. That gives me four points of contact - heals, knees, butt, and hands. Takes the weight off the seat. I also occasionally will briefly rest my calfs on the tip over bar covers to stretch my knees. With this work around I'm good for 2 to 3 hours between rest stops.

I'm sure the highway sticks will work great, I just didn't need them. I'm 6', 34 inch inseam, 185lbs.

MCL wings provide a welcome change of position on long rides, and they are very well made. But without a backrest I can never keep my feet on the wings for very long. Too much strain on the old belly muscles and hanging on to the handlebars to keep from falling backwards. Next trip I'm gonna try using my big tail bag strapped to the back seat as a backrest.

pete

Bike
BMW Grand America
STOC #
I installed mine two weeks ago and have tested them on one fairly long ride. They work as advertised -- very easy to install, well made and they offer a nice change of position. You get a lot of air up your legs -- a good thing on hot days.

My only concern so far is that one of the two wings won't stay completely tucked away when not in use. I've emailed MCL to see if siimply tightening the pivot bolt will fix that (he warns against making any adjustments to that bolt). So far no response from him.

I'm 6'2" and find the wings are in a good position for me. You don't want to leave your feet up there for hours on end, and it takes a second or so to get back into braking position.

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
I use them all the time (Thanks Mellow) and I find them to be more like rudder controls when I ride without hands.

I am 5'11"

I think it was rickj who had a picture of him riding with them in use, but he does not have a photo album and he has since changed his profile picture.

Last edited:

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I use the MCL wings and a large Motofizz camping bag on the passenger seat for a backrest and it is very comfy. I am 6'3" with a 35" inseam.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I installed the MCL Wings on Thursday and rode about 350 miles on Friday and Saturday. So far I love them. They let me change up my positions enough to give my back a rest. I'm riding to Florida (1500 miles from home) later in the month, so I'll see how they do for a long ride.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I like mine to change position, and especially when my legs are cooking, it really sucked on my second tip over because the blade was out. Really bent it at a 45 up angle, seemed to bend back ok, no cracks, still stows away ok, they r tough.

Top Bottom