Article [13] ST1300 - Remote Key FOB Syetem (~$50)

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
But lets remeber folks.. this isn't RFID. This is a on-off via remote control. So once you start the bike, you can't turn it off without the remote (or at least a pair of wire cutters).

RFID (or the keyless push button start of new cars lately and the Connie) is a different critter then was being explained and demonstrated here.

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
Re: DIY - Remote Key FOB syetem (about $50)

PS: I just went on a 300 mile ride with a friend and he left his turn signals on for 299 miles. I'm thinking about hooking ones these up to his blinkers so I can turn them off remotely!!!!
maybe you were going in a circle :}

Hi Jerry. Your Key FOB system looks great. I'm looking to try this on my 2006 ST. It looks like one of the PDF files is missing from the attached files. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bike
06 ST1300
I second what jackie says. it looks like page 2 is missing. I am definitely going to try this on my 2006 ST.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Even without RFID this seem like a very cool mod. I don't see needing the key for the locks to be a drawback. Many of us carry a spare anyway and you may want to lock the forks. In the event of a fob's dead battery or a failure of the receiver module the key keeps you from being stranded.

I'm not really clear on how an RFID fob is used in cars. A neighbor had a Cadillac CTS that released the driver's door as she approached. I believe she started the car with a button. She may have had to press the same button for Off/Shutdown. So now the engine is shutdown but is the ignition off? Does that button in Start mode activate both the ignition and the starter?

I can see RFID adding a level of complexity not just in installation but in daily use. I'm just lazy enough to appreciate keeping a fob in the same pocket all the time and not have to take it out to "arm" the ignition. Saying "Wake up!" or "Let's roll!" and pushing the button would be good for some laughs.

Bandito let us know how it goes!

Bike
06 ST1300
I did this mod on my ST. It works great. The only thing I did that was slightly different, was I used these relays. They are nice because the plugs lock together and it makes it easy if you ever have to replace one of the relays.

Top Bottom