Article [13] ST1300 - Remote Key FOB Syetem (~$50)

Bike
ST1300
The 1? riser and ball mount holding my CB makes the key a bear to get in/out.
After searching the net, I was able to source parts (for about $50) to build a DIY Remote Key FOB system.
Basically it?s a low cost keyless remote module (+2 FOBs) connected to 3 relays wired in parallel with the Ign switch.

It?s not a difficult project for anyone with some electrical experience and a ?key? phobia.

My other reasons for the project:

1. It freaks out other riders.

2. The winters are very, very, very, long in upstate NY.

3. The wife retired last month, and we were spending too much ?quality time? together.

Enough said, the parts list, schematic, and install instructions are attached.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Re: DIY - Remote Key FOB syetem (about $50)

So, as long as the bike is in neutral, the key fobs will start it?

Very nice!

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #

Very slick. Even without a RAM mount, the ignition switch on the ST is a pain. I just might do this next winter. Thanks for the detailed diagrams and instructions.

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #

So, do you leave the key in place and this is an override?

Or does it completely bypass the key completely.

Looking via iPhone, so I didn't look all through the pdfs.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Jerry55
Bike
ST1300

The Remote only turns on the Ign switch, it doesn't start the bike. The remote completely bypasses the key.
Having the bike start is way too freaky!! I always leave it in gear anyway.

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #

The Remote only turns on the Ign switch, it doesn't start the bike. The remote completely bypasses the key.
Having the bike start is way too freaky!! I always leave it in gear anyway.
LOL, oh I didn't think you were doing auto-start, that would be crazy.

No, what I want to know is -

1 - Do you need the key?

2 - If the fob fails will the key work?

3 - Do the headlights and all turn off when you walk away or how is that handled?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Jerry55
Bike
ST1300

1. No you don't need a key (except for gas/bags), the FOB replaces it.
2. Should the FOB fails, the key works. You can use either.
3. When you walk away, press the "off" button on the FOB and the bike totally shuts down, same as turning off the key.

PS: I just went on a 300 mile ride with a friend and he left his turn signals on for 299 miles. I'm thinking about hooking ones these up to his blinkers so I can turn them off remotely!!!!

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #

Ah, OK I can now see what you are using, it is a remote switch, not a RFID FOB as I thought you were describing.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #

....or, if you don't really have a need for the Remote Key feature, the FOB system would be an ideal way to "remote-control" your Stebel :D

Bike
03' ST1300
STOC #
Hmm, I wonder if something like this could be used to make it RFID? :confused: Maybe some of you electrical engineer types could wrap your noodle around this and get us a working prototype. I'm thinking put it in a radio shack plastic enclosure so it can be installed on the bike, link the relay output to energize the ignition system when the FOB is in proximity. I've got a pretty good idea on how to do it but would like to have the brainy guys look at it and see what they think. Looks like a pretty inexpensive option compared to the $400 RFID systems I've seen advertised.

Last edited:
Bike
03' ST1300
STOC #
After some research I found kits available on ebay to make your ignition system RFID, however, I started thinking about it and came up with a few draw-backs.

1. Still need to carry key to access gas tank/saddle bags/handlebar lock.
2. All of the systems I saw required you swipe the FOB within 3" of the sensor.

I had envisioned something like my wife's car, get in/on and start. But with the systems I saw you would still have to pull the FOB out of your pocket and swipe the sensor.

If your still interested, look here. If the link is dead, just search EBAY for RFID car controller. Looks like a pretty simple system to install.

Bike
2006 ST 1300A
STOC #
Winston66,
Northampton ,western Australia.

Now I am confused. Can someone please tell me how all this preceding remote stuff works, particularly in relation to, or with reference to the Honda HISS system that my 2003 ST 1300 is fitted with as the standard system for this ride.
Do you still need to have the chipped key in the ignition lock in order to overcome the ECU preventing the starting function of the motor.
Or is there something magic going on here that I do not understand.
So that I do not miss any replies, If you can help me,or want to comment, I would appreciate a personal message which could be sent direct to me at my email meontop@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks,
and cheers,
Winston Lee

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
This is the first time I've seen this thread. This is a very cool idea. But making it RFID based would be awesome. Get on the bike, push the starter button and ride off. My next car will do that. It's a feature in several cars now.

Carrying a key for the gas and bags doesn't bother me a bit. Shorty keyed-knobs could be left in the locks until you park the bike in a dodgy location. Some riders do that now.

Would somebody describe what the Connie does for its "keyless ignition"? It's not RFID based from what I was told.

JZH

International Bodger
Now I am confused. Can someone please tell me how all this preceding remote stuff works, particularly in relation to, or with reference to the Honda HISS system that my 2003 ST 1300 is fitted with as the standard system for this ride.
US-spec bikes do not have HISS, so it is possible that this modification would not be viable on a HISS-equipped ST1300. An analysis of the relevant wiring diagrams and how this mod interacts with the bike's wiring would reveal the answer.

Ciao,

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Would somebody describe what the Connie does for its "keyless ignition"?
Connie system is using a bluetooth unit, same as many of the current keyless car systems are doing.

so it is possible that this modification would not be viable on a HISS-equipped ST1300
Correct, unless you replaced your computer with a non-HISS model or maybe pulled the HISS receiver and duct taped a known key chip to it.

Bike
2006 ST 1300A
STOC #
Winston Lee

Hi JZH and T_C ,
Now I find your comments interesting, At the present I do not have a problem with the HISS system on my ride , but I am interested to find more about the concept., and how to overcome any possible problems.without having to invest a couple of thousand dollars for a new system at the dealers, (ECU, locks, Etc.)
Do you know anyone who has investigated this convoluted system?
I am intrigued that you say that some European or USA bikes do not have that HISS system (computer) etc, do you have any idea , or leads ,as to where I can source some further information please?.
Looking forward to any comments.
Cheers. Winston Lee , Northampton, Western Australia

Bike
2006 ST1300
I like it, but here are some thoughts:

-By going RFID, you would need to wire in a manual switch. You would want a way to turn off the ignition while you are close to the bike, such as rest stops, doing maintenance, etc. Look at other vehicles with this technology, and you'll see they don't turn on and off by themselves, there is still an ON/OFF switch.

-Check the distance. The one I saw linked to showed a range of 8 meters. That is far enough to reach from many people's houses to their driveway or garage. Hang out a bit too close to your bike and you find the battery dead if you don't have a manual switch. This goes back to my first point above.

-You can overcome the key requirements with a keyless gas cap (I want one anyway for convenience) and the key knob mod for the pannier locks. You would still want to carry a key with you, however, in case of failure.

JZH

International Bodger
I am intrigued that you say that some European or USA bikes do not have that HISS system (computer) etc, do you have any idea , or leads ,as to where I can source some further information please?
My ST1300 Haynes manual is currently in a shipping container, but I believe it has complete colour wiring diagrams for at least the US and UK versions (the UK version has HISS). If I wanted to learn more about the wiring differences between HISS and non-HISS models I would start there. Good luck.

Ciao,

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
I read about a Harley rider who, on his 35,000 dollar FLXTGCCHAKLFASDKLABD or whatever, had a remote fob system. He got on the bike in his garage, started it up, rode 75 miles, stopped for gasoline and discovered the hard way that the fob was in his other riding jacket, still hanging in his garage. :D

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I read about a Harley rider who, on his 35,000 dollar FLXTGCCHAKLFASDKLABD or whatever, had a remote fob system. He got on the bike in his garage, started it up, rode 75 miles, stopped for gasoline and discovered the hard way that the fob was in his other riding jacket, still hanging in his garage. :D
With most of us older guys, that would probably be the norm! :rofl1:

Top Bottom