Article [13] ST1300 - Saddlebag Power

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I wanted to have the option of riding with or without my top box
and I have a powerlet bulkhead kit already hooked up to it so I wanted to take advantage of that.

Here's the bulkhead kit - connected directly to the battery w/fuse and
connectors to make them easy to connect/disconnect - click the
picture to go to the powerlet site.

http://www.powerletproducts.com/product/basic-luggage-electrix-tankbag-saddlebag-power-kit/288

I looked all over the saddlebag and found one spot that appeared like it would work.

I used the retaining ring that came with the kit as a template for
cutting the plastic.

I took a deep breath and plugged in the dremel too.

The bulkhead part of the kit.

I don't feel it's really needed but I did add some RTV sealant
just to ensure no leaks.

Put the screws in.

Install retainer ring and locknuts and tighten.

Now you can hook up whatever powerlet adapters you have, the kit
comes with an SAE and standard cig lighter connector.

View from outside.

I routed the battery connection over from the battery to the left
side of the bike.

I routed the wire down the frame and also made sure to leave some slack.

You can now look up power to the saddlebag using a secure and watertight connection.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Re: Saddlebag Power

That looks really, really tight.
It's a pretty good fit. It's not touching and the connector is very snug so I don't see it coming loose.

PopJack

Die young, after a long life.
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #

Only 45 and you're already loosing touch with modern lingo!

(Veeeeery nice installation. I'm trying to figure out if I have enough courage to make that hole!)

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Only 45 and you're already loosing touch with modern lingo!

(Veeeeery nice installation. I'm trying to figure out if I have enough courage to make that hole!)
It's not too bad... After drilling into painted goldwing parts this is simple.

nice looking job.

Any particular reason you picked the left instead of the right?
Is the bag still detachable? I often take mine off when I'm cleaning the bike which may mean another connection?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

nice looking job.

Any particular reason you picked the left instead of the right?
Is the bag still detachable? I often take mine off when I'm cleaning the bike which may mean another connection?
I usually have my clothes in the right bag and misc stuff in the left.. but it shouldn't matter.

The bags are still detachable.. you give some slack so the wire curves as you put the bag on.. and that gives you some slack to pull the bag out and then reach down and unplug the connector.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #

Very nice. I've considered adding power to my bags for running lights, and this would give me even more flexibility. A place to charge my phone, for example.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Very nice. I've considered adding power to my bags for running lights, and this would give me even more flexibility. A place to charge my phone, for example.
Additionally, you could even add interior saddlebag lights w/on-off switch or mercury switch... I'm not crazy about merc switches in saddlebags due to how many times they'd go on/off in the twisties so you'd want an on/off override switch and if you're gonna do that anyway, why mess with a merc switch. The top box is a little different.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner

Joe,
Did the wire that connects under the seat that was routed down the frame to the saddlebag come with the kit? The picture looks like that particular wire is very short. Do you need an additional wire?
Mike

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Joe,
Did the wire that connects under the seat that was routed down the frame to the saddlebag come with the kit? The picture looks like that particular wire is very short. Do you need an additional wire?
Mike
It's a 48" cord. I'm not sure how long the one I have is... but mine had two sections - if you look at the seat pic you'll see where there's another section hooked up. If you take some string that's 48" long you could mess with that to see if you have room for where you want to run it but that should be sufficient for this.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner

Thanks Joe. I would be hooking mine into a Centech directly under the seat so it might not have to be as long. It looked like the picture was missing a wire or something and I couldn't figure the connection under your seat.
Mike

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Thanks Joe. I would be hooking mine into a Centech directly under the seat so it might not have to be as long. It looked like the picture was missing a wire or something and I couldn't figure the connection under your seat.
Mike
Let me know if you need another pic... Mine just goes straight to the battery.

PopJack

Die young, after a long life.
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #

I am about to take the plunge and copy this excellent idea. I keep wondering if I need to switch the power. Is it possible that a cell phone could kill the bike's battery?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I am about to take the plunge and copy this excellent idea. I keep wondering if I need to switch the power. Is it possible that a cell phone could kill the bike's battery?
I don't leave a cell phone charging overnight.. never have.. 90% of the time it's connected while the bike is moving but I have left it charging while stopping to eat or setting up camp or a couple hrs just to top off the charge.

That being said, I really doubt a cell charging would kill your battery, it would have to be a pretty weak battery already for that to push it over the edge.

Top Bottom