Over sized and odd ball attractions

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Well, this one was interesting to me... but it may not fit this thread?? This sign and the White Butte are at Amidon ND. The GPS showed I was at 2940 ft elevation at the time, so the butte was about 560 ft higher than the plains.

Sadly many road signs in ND are riddled with bullet holes (either that or rocks from all the wind). :rolleyes:

Attachments

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well, this one was interesting to me... but it may not fit this thread?? This sign and the White Butte are at Amidon ND. The GPS showed I was at 2940 ft elevation at the time, so the butte was about 560 ft higher than the plains.

Sadly many road signs in ND are riddled with bullet holes (either that or rocks from all the wind). :rolleyes:
So... if you're standing on the top off that hill..... ah... never mind... too easy. :doh1:

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Harlowton MT was an interesting diversion when I rolled through there on 5/18/09.

The sunflower appears to be made from an old water tank...the petals were cut out from the side of the tank and bent over to form the flower shape.

The rail boxcar is well cared for. I wasn't aware of electric boxcars in this region, but this link gives a good description of it's use up to 1974 in Harlowton.

The Graves hotel is in disrepair, but it struck me as much more grand than the famous Buffalo Bill's Irma Hotel on the main street in Cody WY.

Attachments

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Last summer I saw this boogie man statue next to the road in Joliet MT, but it was a very hot day and I was not in the mood to stop. So I took a sidetrip there this week and got these shots.

These are along the roadside at the Charles Ringer Gallery.

There were a few other interesting whimsical outdoor metal sculptures, but these two caught my fancy. :)

Attachments

Bike
ST 1300
Last summer I saw this boogie man statue next to the road in Joliet MT, but it was a very hot day and I was not in the mood to stop. So I took a sidetrip there this week and got these shots.

These are along the roadside at the Charles Ringer Gallery.

There were a few other interesting whimsical outdoor metal sculptures, but these two caught my fancy. :)
Caption for image #2: "BOOGA BOOGA my little plastic friend." :crackup

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Not really an oddity, but best placer to post as I failed to get the old IA tag to go with this one:
temp 25 345.jpgtemp 25 348.jpgtemp 25 346.jpg

John Oo has the details on this rock, but it's been repainted many times to keep it clean and update the images, just off I-80 west of Des Moines.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Not really an oddity, but best placer to post as I failed to get the old IA tag to go with this one:

John Oo has the details on this rock, but it's been repainted many times to keep it clean and update the images, just off I-80 west of Des Moines.
Hi George. Glad you got a chance to see the Rock. Seems appropriate, this being Memorial Day weekend.

For those of you traveling I-80, be sure to take a half hour and visit this unique bit of middle Americana:

POW-MIA painted rock: only 1.5 miles south of I-80 (exit 86) on Hwy 25, towards Greenfield, IA. (west of Des Moines)
http://www.icwest.com/tc/adair_county_iowa.htm

Also referred to as Freedom Rock:
http://www.ticz.com/homes/users/bob/On-A-Rock/On-A-Rock.htm

Regards, John
US Army, Retired
Viet Nam 67-68, 70-71https://www.st-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47065&thumb=1&d=1243103763

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Took an early morning ride to get a shot of the "Big Head" that promotes sun glasses sales. Hangs right here in Yuma.
On 16th St!!!(maybe it's Ave instead of St) We go right by it when we go see Kent S's parents. We thought it would make a good tag, but it is mobile so we nixed the idea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom