Headlamp Bulb Replacement Pictures

HwT

Bike
'05 ST1300 (2 wheel)
Thanks to all of you who supplied info on changing a headlamp bulb and modifying H4 / 9003 bulb to replace the $$$ Honda bulb. As mentioned in the info, the standard automotive H4 is not only cheaper but much more powerful at 60/55 watts than the Honda at 45/45.
I couldn't find any posted pictures of the lamp base and the Honda manual isn't much help either. Since I had the fairings off for service, I took some pictures so that anybody who changes out a bulb without plastic removal can see the devil he's dealing with.
The first photo shows the bulb socket tabs that must be squeezed for release. The socket is covered with the rubber boot and, as per the info, pushing my fingers firmly forward toward the front of the bike while squeezing through the boot made removal easy. When I just squeezed the square base that I could feel under the boot, they would not release, I had to push forward.
The second photo shows the bail that holds the bulb in the left lamp and how it's released (the right one is the same). As per the previously posted info, you can also easily see the ST1300 headlamp provides a wall around the bulb base which centers the bulb and, with the single remaining tab at the top of the bulb preventing rotation, shims become unnecessary.
The final picture shows removal the two lower tabs and confirms, as someone mentioned, that just bending them with pliers breaks them cleanly off.

Attachments

Alright, thanks to all of the previous info on the other threads, including this one, I changed the bulb in 30 minutes. Next time I suspect will be half that, at least. I'm not that mechanically inclined, so if I can do it, anyone can. ;)

Thanks for the very helpful bulb replacement pictures. I had been working for several hours and couldn't get the Amp connector off the bulb. Your article and pictures helped a lot and I was able to get the job done quickly. This is the second left side high beam I have had to replace. The first at 13,400 miles and this one at 22,500. I have always ridden with my high beams on during the day to be seen better. Now that I have installed the 60w bulbs I should be able to ride with my low beams and still be seen. Thankts again.

Good advice HwT. Pretty much the same as a bulb swap on a ST1100. I installed a steel bar crosswise behind the headlamps to support a compressor for air horns, and as a mount for one of the trumpets. Before I put everything back together I swapped the globes for H4 65/60's. Everything was great till 2 weeks later and one of the globes blew! I had to pull the whole lot out again to change one globe. :(

Hwt, thanks to your and Mellows pics made the bulb change much easier... Also the stickied text helps too... My left high beam burned out at 10k+ miles... Seems the left burns out quicker??? Took me a bit longer on the first side I changed as when I took out the first oem bulb and it had the 3 tabs I tried to install the new bulb without bending the lower 2 tabs... Being stubborn, duh... I put in a set of the osram silverstars without shims just bending the lower tabs and they seemed to seat in the housing just fine... I'll try them out this evening and go for a ride...
Just curious, the tabs on the bulbs seemed to be of similiar width... Is it the angle different between the oem honda and standard H4 bulbs???

Anytime I have a problem or question about the ST I always come to the site... Lots of useful info, thanks everyone...

Kevin

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
Just curious, the tabs on the bulbs seemed to be of similiar width... Is it the angle different between the oem honda and standard H4 bulbs???

Anytime I have a problem or question about the ST I always come to the site... Lots of useful info, thanks everyone...

Kevin

Yes Kevin, the OEM Honda bulbs have the European style tabs which put them in a different angle, or maybe it just means they want you to buy the OEM bulb!. The shims for the ST1100 will fill those gaps in the lamp socket. The standard H4 bulbs will have different angled tabs, but just bend them back and forth and they will break off clean.

I also find out a great deal from the experts here. :bow1:

Thanks for the pics and info. I need to replace one of my bulbs in my 1300 - Can I use any H4 bulb? Do I break off all of the tabs or just that one you show in the picture?

Thanks!

Tyrbrnr

Rick
Bike
ST-1300
STOC #
Changed my first bulb yesterday. What a PITA it would have been without all the info here. Thanks to everyone for all the help

Bike
09 ST1300
I noticed a burned out bulb last week and ordered replacements from California Sport Touring. A friend a work told me what a pain replacing them would be but with the help of this forum, I had both bulbs replaced in less than 1/2 hour. I also bought the bulb adapters but ended up not using them. The bulbs seemed to fit better without them. Thanks a million to HwT for the pictures and instructions. It saved me the grief that would have resulted from working on them from the top.
Mike

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
N.B. Just breaking off the lower tabs isn't enough. There are still bulges left on the base of the bulb that will cant H4/9003 bulbs downward slightly. This is especially important on the ST1100 with the filaments' positions relative to the reflector and fluted lens so critical. It's quite noticeable when fitting the ST1100 shims and the bulb doesn't fit flush to them. Use a vice or a large Vice-Grip pliers to flatten the bulge out/into line with the rest of the bulb base's edge.

HTH

edit: and IINM/memory serves, the little locating tabs between the bottom tangs are too wide for the socket's recess and need to be flattened also...

Regards, John

Bike
2005 ST1300
Thank you so much for taking your time to make it easier on less mechanically inclined folks. Without instructions or pics I would have gone to the STealer or had to take heat from my buddies. On a side note I didn't use the shims and saw no reason to. I have been wrong before.

Thanks for the pictures. My left bulb and upper right mini burned out this weekend. Went to the dealer and they sold me the PIAA Extreme White H4 60W/55W => 110/100W @ 4000 Kelvin power sport bulbs. Claim to be an Anti-Vibration Bulb. Wish me luck! :06biker:

cv66seabear

Kent Barnard
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Ok, just to be clear (I'm doing this this weekend), does it matter which tabs you break off? (which way is up?) Is this pretty easy to see once you get them off? Do the shims go in first ahead of the light bulb (Fwd)? Or behind the light bulb in the socket (aft)? These are probably stupid questions, but I really want to do this smoothly!

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
Ok, just to be clear (I'm doing this this weekend), does it matter which tabs you break off? (which way is up?) Is this pretty easy to see once you get them off? Do the shims go in first ahead of the light bulb (Fwd)? Or behind the light bulb in the socket (aft)? These are probably stupid questions, but I really want to do this smoothly!
The wide tab is the top one. Keep that one and break off the other two (I actually just bend them back 90 degrees). Install the shims at the front of the bulb. At the bottom of the bulb there are 2 very small tabs. I use these to hold the shim to the bulb before inserting into the headlamp.

If you still have problems, post with more questions and I'll see about taking pictures.

Top Bottom