Headlamp Bulb Replacement Pictures

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
I carry in tank bag trauma shears, cheap 1's. Just cut tabs off. Replaced bulb left side on way to Death valley Stock early this year. 2nd bulb on way over to Vancouver Island. My bike seems to eat the left bulbs every 11,000 miles. Ok every 7,000 to 11,000 miles. Napa auto parts 9003 bulb west coast 12.00 dollars that is cheap. Bought 2. 1 under seat.
Had help from Tanka & Mickcol last bulb change.
Getting my big paw in there is a problem.

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
Thanks to the super instruction and picture on this site, I have the old bulb out, I presume it is the OEM bulb, it has 3 tabs. I thought the OEM has only one tab and that is the reason to break the tabs off the after market bubs. I am switching to H4 PIAA , it has three tabs. can anyone confirm how many tab is on the OEM bulb? Does the OEM bulb says Honda on it or Phillip? thank you.
Kenny

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
The OEM bulb also has 3 tabs but the alignment of them is different so therefore it will not fit in the same spot. By breaking off the tabs and using the adapter, you can use standard bulbs.

I don't know the make of the OEM but I replaced mine with a Honda ATV type that was only 8 bucks at the Honda delaer themselves. How many parts can you buy from Honda under $10? :D

Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
Thanks, ak85lp, I see now. The new H4 are installed. I went in from the top without removing the side fairings. Did the whole thing by feel and visualization. The tough part was putting it back together. I wore latex gloves to protect the bulb. Took hour and half to do both lights. next time should be much faster. Thanks again to the inputs from the members on this site.
Kenny

Bike
'97 ST1100
on my '97, the left low beam was FUBAR so i made my own shim from the old bulb by cutting it off with my Dremel. i started with a 3/4" diameter by 1/32" thick diamond wheel but that just clogged up 'cause the STanley OEM bulb is brass under the chrome, so i used the regular Dremel cut off wheels. i then hammered it flat on an anvil and filed it making it fit snug over the new bulb so it wouldn't fall off during installation. after cutting off the tabs on the new bulb, i then took vise-grips to it to take out the bumps from around the tabs so it would fit flat and almost as close in the mount as the OEM bulb did.
i didn't notice at the time if the new Sylvania bulbs were brass as well, but an after thought was that if they are brass then a person could cut off the tabs and possibly solder them back on in the same position (make a templet) as the Honda/STanley bulbs. (use lead free solder to save weight. lol)
10 minutes to cut, flatten and smooth out the shim.
5 minutes to change the left bulb with the bars to the right and reaching in from the left side.
no plastic panels were maimed or killed during this installation.
i still have all of my hydraulic fluid (blood).
keep smilin........t

Bike
2009 ST1300
Holy thread resurrection! Well it's a sticky so...
The photos above are great. These are also extremely helpful: http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=3537.0 - they show the connectors etc. in place on the bike which was a huge help for me. Especially the comments below the photo about where those tabs that must be pressed actually are - more forward than where the fingers are in the photo!! I was able to replace my left bulb the first time, in about 25-30 minutes.
I used some small heavy duty shears to snip off the two lower tabs on the H4 bulb, they cut off cleanly like they were designed to be cut off. No burrs or anything.

Top Bottom