Strange wear on Road Attack

NCrider

Andrew Seawell
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
This it the front tire that came on my bike, Continental Road Attack.
There is still center tread but the sides are worn completely out.

Is this something I should be concerned about?
Or are the roads here just too curvy? :D

Just got my new Avon Storm in and am putting it on tomorrow.

P5141230 (Large).JPGP5141231 (Large).JPGP5141232 (Large).JPG

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
This it the front tire that came on my bike, Continental Road Attack.
There is still center tread but the sides are worn completely out.

Is this something I should be concerned about?
Or are the roads here just too curvy? :D

Just got my new Avon Storm in and am putting it on tomorrow.

P5141230 (Large).JPGP5141231 (Large).JPGP5141232 (Large).JPG

But keep in mind... the ST pulling to the Left is a *MYTH*.... :)

<D>

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
I have the same problem. My PR2's look new in the middle but are pretty much done on the sides. I'm heading down to two brothers the 23rd for new skins.. It's the curse of living near all the wonderful twisties..:D

OP
OP
NCrider

NCrider

Andrew Seawell
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
So I guess it's not a problem....that's what I get for always avoiding the interstates.

Go ride!!!

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Just what I suspected,, a tire company conspiracy ,, Avons are defective too,

Attachments

Looks a bit like the Roadsmarts on the ST11, sides worn away but middle ok, but I did not get the ridge between the centre and sides. Do you get a lot of either fast straight roads and tight stuff, not high speed medium corners? I have the Roadattacks on now so will let you know how they go when they are worn out.

Neither the Avon Azaros or Storms had the triangular wear in the last picture. They just worn evenly all the way over.

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
They began to feel weird going into the corner, you could feel it "fall" over that ridge on entrance. You are correct, few triple digit corners.

OP
OP
NCrider

NCrider

Andrew Seawell
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm happy to report the new Avon is installed and working as intended.

Now I need to go hit that last NC-tag spot.

Bike
White ST1100AV
STOC #
Can you post pictures of the rear as well?

If you want to even up your wear pattern, there's an easy fix that might take a little getting used to, but really works.

What's causing your wear pattern isn't so much that you're going fast around a lot of tight corners, it's that you're *braking* in the corners.

If you get into the habit of doing more of your breaking before turn-in, you'll wear more of your tyre while you're relatively upright and that "nearly new" bit in the middle will take some more of the wear away from the bit that's been running out sooner, making it last longer.

If you want a psychological aid with that, consider whether you can actually stop on your side of the road within the distance you can see to be clear. I'm guessing the answer's more often "no" than you might think. Think about actually stopping at that point that you can clearly see, would you be going slower?

Also, IPSGA, my friend!

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
Yeah, you should change it. I can see your down to the wear markers on the side. Remember, the wear markers come in two styles. They can either look like fabric or metal. The tire manufacturors have been extra cautious. They have put several sets of these markers in each tire so if you miss the first, you should change the tire if you see several layers of these wear markers.

John

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
It is my theory that the left portion of our front tires wear that way because we drive on the right side of the road... Let me explain... let's take a 90degree turn to the right.. the turn is tight and generally taken at a slow pace... However, a left turn has a much larger arch and can be taken at a faster pace... That's my theory and I'm sticking to it... :D
:cool:

Top Bottom