Question about stock ST1100 mufflers...

Bike
'05 ST1300
I bought a used '99 ST1100 a few weeks back that is in good shape.

One thing I have noticed is that the right muffler is quite a bit higher than the left on the very end. There are no scratches, dents, scrapes, rash, or any indication of a tip over to be found on the bike.

I have seen 2 other ST1100s on ebay, and the right muffler on those two bikes was a bit higher as well. Is this normal? I don't think it is, but I thought I would ask anyway.

I recently replaced the rear tire, and I had the muffler brackets apart and the clamps loose so that I could swivel the cans away from the bike. When I put it all back together, I tried to align the pipes better, but I couldn't get them to budge up or down.

Both pipes appear to be straight when viewed from each side, but from the rear, the R muffler is probably an inch closer to the bottom of the hard bag.

Is this normal?

Last edited:
Bike
1992 ST1100ABS
STOC #
On my 92 ST both of the cans are the same distance from the bags. And appear to be level wirh the bike one the center STand. Also you should not have to move or loosen the mufflers to R&R the rear wheel.:D

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I have two 1100s, so easy to compare. There is some wear somewhere in the system on STick. To remove the axle (left side), I have to jack up the muffler, the indent is just a little low. This hasn't always been the case. On ReSTored, no need to do that but hard to get a socket on the axle nut (right side), barely enuff clearance. Since the mufflers hang from the big aluminum side panels and there's very little chance of movement between the two, I'm thinking the rubber bushings on which those aluminum panels hang may be worn. Since the passenger usually mounts from the left side, could that sudden 150 lbs (nominal passenger weight with full gear) cause wear in those bushings relative to the right side? Just asking.

Anyhoo, yur not alone. Someone smarter'n me will eventually figure out a fix. I'm thinking Norton Commando style reverse cone mufflers would look good to replace the STockers, a little thinner and shiny chrome. Ought'a provide more clearnance around the axle, too, tho you'd have to leave the panniers at home. :D

OP
OP
Bike
'05 ST1300
On my 92 ST both of the cans are the same distance from the bags. And appear to be level wirh the bike one the center STand. Also you should not have to move or loosen the mufflers to R&R the rear wheel.:D
I didn't have a long enough 1/2" drive extension, so I did have to move the mufflers so the ratchet head would clear. Plus, I was trying to get them to be the same height by loosening everything, but was unsuccessful.

OP
OP
Bike
'05 ST1300
I have two 1100s, so easy to compare. There is some wear somewhere in the system on STick. To remove the axle (left side), I have to jack up the muffler, the indent is just a little low. This hasn't always been the case. On ReSTored, no need to do that but hard to get a socket on the axle nut (right side), barely enuff clearance. Since the mufflers hang from the big aluminum side panels and there's very little chance of movement between the two, I'm thinking the rubber bushings on which those aluminum panels hang may be worn. Since the passenger usually mounts from the left side, could that sudden 150 lbs (nominal passenger weight with full gear) cause wear in those bushings relative to the right side? Just asking.

Anyhoo, yur not alone. Someone smarter'n me will eventually figure out a fix. I'm thinking Norton Commando style reverse cone mufflers would look good to replace the STockers, a little thinner and shiny chrome. Ought'a provide more clearnance around the axle, too, tho you'd have to leave the panniers at home. :D
I wouldn't mind putting some sort of aftermarket pipes on the ST, but from everything I've read, the 360 degree crank doesn't play well with pipes due to the obnoxious droning sound. And I don't plan on shelling out a grand for Staintunes. I can buy a used dirtbike to play with for that kind of money. :)

Plus, I think the ST looks best with the bags in place.

Bike
None
STOC #
Unbelievable!:hat2:

One of the band clamps is on backwards!! My 98 was like that when I bought it. The band clamps, are off-set just a little bit where they bolt together @ the bushing. Figure out which one it is and turn it around. You'll be fine!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
'05 ST1300
Unbeliebable!:hat2:

One of the band clamps is on backwards!! My 98 was like that when I bought it. The band clamps, are off-set just a little bit where they bolt together @ the bushing. Figure out which one it is and turn it around. You'll be fine!
Excellent info, Tom!

I was just eyeballing the bike an hour ago trying to figure out what was the cause. Nothing is bent, all panels are correct, all rubber bushings are fine. I was beginning to wonder if I bought a rebuilt bike.

I bet you're right! I'll look closer at the clamps.

Thanks again,

Kirk

Bike
None
STOC #
Unbelievable!:hat2:

Hey George! My memory may not be accurate but the backward clamp may be why you have axle bolt clearance issues. Seems mine was difficult because of that too. Been a while since I had the back wheel off for the brakes and spline lube so I could very well be wrong about this.

OP
OP
Bike
'05 ST1300
Tom,

I was looking at an exploded view of the clamp on a parts site, and could not see the offset you are talking about.

The clamps on my ST are oriented the same way on both sides.

I'm thinking that maybe one muffler isn't seated completely in the flange at the clamp, which is causing the problem. The low muffler would be the one not seated all the way, and is using the muffler mount as a fulcrum, which in turn causes it to be lower.

I'm at work right now, but will verify when I get home tonight.

Either way, it should be an easy fix.

OP
OP
Bike
'05 ST1300
I got it figured out.

There is not an offset in the clamp.

I loosened the higher muffler's mounting bolt and clamp, and using a 4lb plastic hammer and piece of scrap wood, I tapped the underneath side of the muffler where it is in the flange.

I was able to get the exhaust within 1/8" of one another, which is way better than the one inch out of whack that they were.

Mucho better.

I don't know why, but stuff like that drives me nuts.

I've owned two Ducatis, and you could never get both pipes the same. Stock or aftermarket. Just when you thought you had it sorted out, they would vibrate back to where they were before. Arghhh! :D

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100
I'm thinking my bike is louder than it should be (and always has been). I'll have to have look and listen to see if the problem could be there. Or is there other predominant reasons why some ST1100'S are a bit louder?

Regards,
Extemp.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Just a guess here, but most 1100's have been around for a while. And I remember reading somewhere that I should replace the cylindrical gasket that the front end of the muffler fits into (on the exhaust system) when I last removed them to service either the rear wheel or center stand. Of course, I did not (thrifty thrifty....). So, after many years and several removals it is possible that you are getting gas and noise leakage here? As I said, only a guess....

BTW, I have a 1300, and if the exhaust system on your 1100 does not have said cylindrical gaskets, ignore this post....(smile).

Top Bottom