Continental RoadAttack tires after 4500 miles

Bike
'05 ST - R.I.P.
Thought I might share my impression of Conti RoadAttack tires after putting about 4500 miles behind me on them. My riding is a mixed bag, from sedate slab commuting to semi-aggressive mountain twisties. I usually ride 1-up, weighing about 180# with gear, with consistent 40-42psi pressure both front and back. Exact weight varies, as pie is invariably consumed somewhere along the route.

I have been delighted with the tires' performance. They give exceptional grip in wet or dry. I've experienced no squirm, wobble, or twitchiness at any speed or lean angle, and they've given me great confidence in their stability under all conditions.

Of course, like any other tire, they'll grip and grip and grip until they don't. I've not tested the outside of that particular envelope, thanks, but I've induced more than a few peg-scrapers without losing my nerve for lack of grip. Lack of skill, certainly, but not lack of grip.

When I first mounted the Conti's, I found they were prone to very strong turn-in. So much so, I nearly ended up in the inside ditch a few times before I got used to how quickly they turned. I'd had to wrestle the tired old factory-issue Dunlops through every turn, but not so the Conti's. Now, I just weight the inside 'cheek' and press just slightly on the inside grip -- the bike comes around right smartly!

Until I got the hang of the new tires, I backed waaaaaay off on the preload, then dialed in a notch or two at a time until I found the sweet spot. Now, it seems I merely think positive thoughts toward the apex, and the bike sweeps through each turn all by itself. Well, almost.

The rear tire has developed the predictable flat spot, the front tire less so. Wear is even, without appreciable cupping. Both front and back are scrubbed well up the shoulders from tight cornering on chipseal roads. I'd guess the back has another 2k, the front more like 4-5k before I get nervous about wear bars and suchlike.

All told, I've been very pleased with the tires, and would recommend them highly, provided they're suited to your riding style.

If you're looking for a high-mileage, mostly two-up slab-riding tire, I suspect you should look elsewhere. I've heard good things about ME-880's, among others, for that duty.

I opted to trade off the higher mileage for quick turn-in and exceptional grip. If that is your intent, Conti RoadAttacks just might be your next set of tires.

And say what you will, that's one damn sexy tread pattern!

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
I liked my time on the Conti's. Good tire, I was able to squeeze 11k outta them.. then again i got left on the side of the road because I wore them out.

Still, a really good tire. I've got 3-4k on the Avon's - they might be the best tire evar!!!

Tom de

Bike
2003 ST1300
I will also mention the Contis have a plush feel, even at 44 psi loaded down. Very sure traction and road feedback. I just got 6K out of my rear Conti RAs. They are perfectly suited to the ST, especially in the rain. I might have got another 500 miles out of them, except I had a good opportunity to change them at a great price. The front tires will go 7K. Almost all of my miles have been with 50 lbs of camping gear, on hot roads at hot speeds (when possible) and my petite 180lbs of Spam. I did get bitten by a few large tar snakes in California, so much so that the front tire jumped lanes twice. I don't know if other tires would do so, given that I hit two long parallel tar snakes in a curve. No harm done, but I'm thinking about changing my front to a Michelin PR2 which has a bit more tread pattern. I'm not giving up the RAs in the back.

OP
OP
Bike
'05 ST - R.I.P.
I did get bitten by a few large tar snakes in California, so much so that the front tire jumped lanes twice. I don't know if other tires would do so, given that I hit two long parallel tar snakes in a curve. No harm done, but I'm thinking about changing my front to a Michelin PR2 which has a bit more tread pattern. I'm not giving up the RAs in the back.
I hear you about those pesky tar snakes on a hot summer's day. Tar snakes are way up there on my list of darkest motorcycle fears.

Topping the list would be taking a blind corner at full lean and suddenly coming upon a collision between a truckload of bananas and a truckload of ball bearings. :crackup:chrfl1::crackup

Careful, it's a jungle out there.

OP
OP
Bike
'05 ST - R.I.P.
I liked my time on the Conti's. Good tire, I was able to squeeze 11k outta them.. then again i got left on the side of the road because I wore them out.

Still, a really good tire. I've got 3-4k on the Avon's - they might be the best tire evar!!!

Tom de
I've heard great things about the Avons, might try them next. Seems like 11k is a pretty respectable run on a relatively sticky tire like the Conti -- sorry to hear you pushed your luck. I figure I'll get maybe 9k out of these, maybe more on the front. Without noticeable wear bars, it's hard to tell where you are wear-wise on this tire.

I don't suppose the Conti folks would want ugly old wear bars dirtying up that pretty swoosh tread pattern, now would they?

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
I've heard great things about the Avons, might try them next. Seems like 11k is a pretty respectable run on a relatively sticky tire like the Conti -- sorry to hear you pushed your luck. I figure I'll get maybe 9k out of these, maybe more on the front. Without noticeable wear bars, it's hard to tell where you are wear-wise on this tire.

I don't suppose the Conti folks would want ugly old wear bars dirtying up that pretty swoosh tread pattern, now would they?
No, you wouldn't want that now would you? :D. I do like the way they look.

tom

RodSTer

former username rschween
Bike
2013 R1200GSA
STOC #
I loved my first set of Conti's, but this second set the rear seems to be going real fast :(
Like everyone else I guess I want it all, so far I haven't gone more than about 8000 miles on the stock Dunlops, Pilot Roads or my original Conti's, but I'm only at 3500 miles on this set and there's no way I get another 4k out of the rear on this one.

I think I'll be ordering a set of Avon's next.

OP
OP
Bike
'05 ST - R.I.P.
I loved my first set of Conti's, but this second set the rear seems to be going real fast :(
Like everyone else I guess I want it all, so far I haven't gone more than about 8000 miles on the stock Dunlops, Pilot Roads or my original Conti's, but I'm only at 3500 miles on this set and there's no way I get another 4k out of the rear on this one.

I think I'll be ordering a set of Avon's next.
Someone on this forum recommended specifying the RoadAttacks listed for BMW bike applications -- apparently better wear for heavier bikes. You might've gotten the lighter-load version this second time. Just a thought.

You make a good point about the Conti not being a high-mileage tire. I, too, might have a look at the Avons next set. Sure am happy with the handling, meanwhile.

RodSTer

former username rschween
Bike
2013 R1200GSA
STOC #
Someone on this forum recommended specifying the RoadAttacks listed for BMW bike applications -- apparently better wear for heavier bikes. You might've gotten the lighter-load version this second time. Just a thought.
Come to think of it, I 've heard that too now that you mention it. I might have to check with the forum tire expert Tim from Two rothers should know if there is any truth to it.

Rod

Bike
ST1300
Put a set of RoadAttacks to my ST13 (Pan European, as we call them on this side of the pond). Got 13000 km (8k) out of my BT020 rear. RA feels like it has much more touch to the ground and also the slow-speed steering feels lighter. The bike leans in twisties also slightly differently - it feels like the center of gravity has gone down a bit (maybe it is due to lighter steering).
Haven't been yet pushing it hard, as I have done just less than 1000 km and they are about to be broken in (yeah, they were initially slipperysh for first 400 km, but I guess that any new tire is) and also the season will soon be over as it is starting to drop below freezing. I still have a 600 km ride next week - loads of rain, possible wet snow, heavy wind, possibly freezing temps, maple-leaves all over the place, riding back at night - doesn't it sound like a good way to test-ride a tire.

Bike
2015 GoldWing
STOC #
I bought a set of RoadAttacks thanks to this thread. A couple hundred more miles and the front Roadsmart should be ready to come off. Hope the RA's are as confidence inspiring as everyone says, if so I will be a happy ST'er!:D

Bike
ST1100
Road Attacks are a great tire. Long life and fine grip. Road Attack 2.......well same superb grip but no staying power. Mine lasted 3k before the bin claimed them. Not a happy bunny. Will be going back to the original and best.

Top Bottom