I need front springs!!!!!

Hotwheelbill

Site Supporter...you a FAN?$
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I need front springs for my 1995 ST1100 with 42250 miles on what I think is the stock oil and springs. I like to get sporty with my riding, but looking for the best for my money( that means I'm cheap!). Better than stock for the lowest price. Thanks ahead for any input.

Bike
BMW GS
I had Reuben at www.35Motorsports.com install springs and heavier oil in my ST1100 forks. Made all the difference! Check with him for the correct spring rate, oil level, oil thickness, etc.

I'm 6'1" and a svelte 245 and ride fairly fast on twisty, hilly roads.

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
You should get the 1.2 sonic. Also look at some good synthetic fork oil like redline. Lasts longer and holds up better with less foaming. Next time I will mix their medium and next lighter oil. Medium is just a little bit harsh.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Go with the 1.2... it isn't your weight it is the weight of the bike.

I found Sonic to be the least expensive and I have heard no complaints.
(I have HyperPro and will be buying Sonic the next time as the cost difference is *large*.)

Mark

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Site Supporter...you a FAN?$
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
+1 on the Sonic springs. I have a '97 ST and just finished a complete fork rebuild using 1.2 Sonic springs and 8.5 weight oil. It made a nice improvement in the front end. I did all the work myself. At first I was apprehensive about the complexity of doing the fork rebuild, but I researched this and other forums and found a lot of info. There are a few special tools that make the job MUCH easier and I would highly recommend you try to get the tool kit from
John OoSTerhuis as it will be a lifer saver. I have access to a machine shop and built most the special tools included in John's kit.

BTW I traded several emails with Rich at Sonic Springs and he was VERY helpful.
Thanks for the input. About the oil. I have oil that I bought from the dealer a while back that they said was for the bike. It is 5w. Just seems like a big jump to 8.5.?

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
I just had the dealer change the fork oil and seals when they installed my progressive springs on my 1995 st1100 with the original springs and 65000 miles only put 100 miles on so far but it is an improvement.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
The 1.2 sonics would be right for you and the bike. FWIW, just had front end on a 2000 ST1100 built by Traxxion Dynamics, and they used Maxiam 7W oil for the front end....

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Progressive springs in mine. Synthetic fluid. 10W-15 in the left fork - 7W in the right. Each fork has separate functions. Those weights best suit the internals, so I was informed by a suspension shop. All works well.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
RaceTech recommends 0.98, so 1.0 rate. I'd go with RaceTech or Sonic as they are straight rate springs. If you upgrade the front, you should consider the rear as well to get a more balanced suspension.

Don't forget to make sure your new springs have the proper sag. The springs and spacers on my last bike were different sizes compared to my Sonics.....so I had to cut the supplied pvc piping to length. Good article here..... http://racetech.com/articles/SuspensionAndSprings.htm

Sonic was great to deal with and inexpensive.

Be truthful on your riding style when ordering springs. The vast majority of us aren't Rossi so getting a stiffer spring won't do you any good. That being said the Sonics on my last bike were a HUGE improvement over stock. Make sure you keep compressing those shocks as well when you are trying to get that old oil out. Good luck!

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I have used progressive and straight weight springs. I prefer the straight weight. They are consistent in compression. Progressive springs start soft and get harder as more load is provided.

I put RaceTech springs in my 1991 and I also disabled the anti-dive. Call RaceTech and get the recommendation for spring weight. It has been a couple of years but I think I paid $100 for the springs. The may try talk you into the gold valves which I hear are great, but I passed because of price. I also use the recommended fork oil weight.

With 42k plus on the bike you may want to thing about a rear shock upgrade. This is a lot more expensive though.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
I need front springs for my 1995 ST1100 with 42250 miles on what I think is the stock oil and springs. I like to get sporty with my riding, but looking for the best for my money( that means I'm cheap!). Better than stock for the lowest price. Thanks ahead for any input.
Since you mentioned cheap, you might consider adding preload by increasing the spring spacers on the existing springs.

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
What a coincidence. My bike has 44,000 on her and the front seals have started the dreaded Link. Great information everyone! Just wondering what the total price guestimate would be on the front rebuild? Me and a buddy of mine would be doing the work.

Top Bottom