Handle Bar Riser Plate

I love my '07 ST-1300 but experienced wrist and shoulder fatique during long rides. I purchased this as my first bike last fall, so I was unsure if it was getting used to the riding position or something else. I am 6'3" but it was just a long reach for me. I ordered the riser plate from "Motorcycle Larry's". It raises the bar 1 1/4" and back by 2". The order came quickly with instructions. Not being mechanically gifted, I was unsure if I wanted to install it myself. I did, and it was much easier than I anticipated. The instructions were great, followed them to the "T". I did not have to fool with any of the cables or hoses. What a sense of accomplishment it gave me to do this. I could do another one in about an hour after doing this one. The ride is remarkably better an the handle has improved. I guess this comes with the more comfortable positioning. I highly recommend this product. I'll be looking into MCL's peg lowers and highway pegs.

Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
The MCL riser plate and highway wings are two of the best additions to my ST. Throw in the Sargant seat and the bike instantly became a serious long-distance machine.

Lano

I was so much older then
Bike
ST 1300
I could not agree more. I thought the orginal handlebar position was good for me. I had the chance to sit on another ST with a riser plate at a pie run a couple of weeks ago. Ordered MCL riser plate the next day. Makes a lot of differance. Takes a lot of weight off my hands/wrists.

Bike
ST1300
Did any of you have to reroute your cables? Remove anything other than the bars? Any helpful hints for the install? How do you remove those little chrome caps covering the bolts to remove without scratching things up? Did you have someone hold the bars as you removed them?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Did any of you have to reroute your cables? Remove anything other than the bars? Any helpful hints for the install? How do you remove those little chrome caps covering the bolts to remove without scratching things up? Did you have someone hold the bars as you removed them?
Reroute the cables: no
Remove anything else: no
Helpful hints: cover the tank well
Remove chrome caps: a finger nail or very fine flat screwdriver or sticky tape
Hold the bars: yes Not necessary but a helper is better than bungies

I have the Heli Gen III and the cables are almost taut but there was no rerouting that would help so they were left as is. The edges of the bars are sharp enough to deeply scratch the tank. Cover it with a heavy mat not just a thin towel. A helper is very handy here. The caps are probably cheap to replace if needed. But don't scratch the bars trying to dig the caps out. That doesn't go away.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Are you glad you got the risers? Do they really help?
They were a big help for me. Reduced the wrist ache and tingling of my hands and eliminated the soreness of my neck and shoulders. Stay on the bike long enough and you'll probably get some.

Some riders have tried the risers and removed them but they work very well for me. I wouldn't own an ST without them they help me that much. I can sit bolt upright or slouch a little without putting weight on my wrists or using my stomach and back trying to keep the pressure off my wrists.

If you haven't done so you might start a WANTED post to see if someone has some for sale. I thought I saw such a post offering a riser that was in excellent condition. I can't speak for the MCL but the Heli version is a beautiful exercise in fit and finish. Consider whether or not you want a RAM ball mount or power socket installed.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Just installed the Heli-bar Gen 3 myself about 3-4 weeks ago. I like that it takes weight off the wrists and I can sit up straight. Easy install, only lost one chrome cap...

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
MCL riser eliminated wrist and elbow fatigue. Once I repositioned the seat (high setting in front, medium in back) my lower back was happier too!

Bike
2003 ST1300
I just got a MCL riser for my 2003 ST1300 from a friend just trying to find the instructions, anyone have a copy?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I didn't use any instructions and have on independent memory if any were even supplied. I did have help because the sharp edges of the base of the handlebars will really scratch the tank. It was also covered but I didn't want to take any chances.

Top Bottom