ST1100 low speed wobble

Bike
1999 ST 1100
Maybe it's tires or alignment. I have a 99 ST1100 and it does it. BUT, my 1996 VFR 750 did it and so did my 1990 CBR 1000. Every Honda I have owned has done it.

I have just bought the 1100 in the same colour and it needed both tyres, had bt021's fitted no wobble now the release agent has worn off the handling is really good. mismatched or worn tyres can cause many problems. On my SV1000 it had two differing makes of tyre when i bought it, it ran on straight on several bends, scary!! matched pair sorted.;)

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Interesting to note that all the actions that have reportedly "cured" the wobble problem involved doing something that would have removed and re-installed the front wheel and then presumably doing the standard alignment procedure of leaving the pinch bolts and the axle nut slightly loose, bouncing the bike on the front wheel with the brake locked several times and then tightening every thing to spec.

Is the actual cure then just the alignment procedure as mentioned by Rob Parker (HawkeyeST) or the combination or result of several procedures? And were bikes that begin to wobble with a new tire not aligned properly after that install? (allowing for the fact that a bad tire is certainly possible).

Perhaps somebody experiencing "the wobble" could try the alignment procedure first BEFORE going to the extent of changing out the bearings or installing/replacing a tire and report back? Especially if you have just replaced a front tire. It might provide valuable info for the group?

Jerry
1996 ST1100
1987 Kaw 88SE B-1

Jerry -

I did have the low speed wobble, but tires were still good, steering bearing seemed fine - so I performed just the alignment procedure as you suggested. Problem solved!

The wobble/weave started after this year's NatSTOC where I hit 2 of South Dakota's road repair hazzards - sharp impacts. The impacts may have overcome the pinch bolt holding power.

Bike
ST1100
Tires.. I had Bridgestones half worn out changed them and the bike was good to go..

Tires.

Avon Azarro front tire was smooth, no problem.
Avon Storm gave mine the head shake. One tire from the beginning, the next tire only after wearing a few thousand miles.

I have Sonic front springs and tapered head bearings.

Bike
92 ST1100
Instead of a lot of guessing going on here.........just replace the the ball type steering head bearings with tapered roller bearings....... that WILL resolve the lower speed head-shake;).

Interesting to note that all the actions that have reportedly "cured" the wobble problem involved doing something that would have removed and re-installed the front wheel and then presumably doing the standard alignment procedure of leaving the pinch bolts and the axle nut slightly loose, bouncing the bike on the front wheel with the brake locked several times and then tightening every thing to spec.

Is the actual cure then just the alignment procedure as mentioned by Rob Parker (HawkeyeST) or the combination or result of several procedures? And were bikes that begin to wobble with a new tire not aligned properly after that install? (allowing for the fact that a bad tire is certainly possible).

Perhaps somebody experiencing "the wobble" could try the alignment procedure first BEFORE going to the extent of changing out the bearings or installing/replacing a tire and report back? Especially if you have just replaced a front tire. It might provide valuable info for the group?

Jerry
1996 ST1100
1987 Kaw 88SE B-1
I did. I simply undid the pinch bolts and the axle end bolt, bounced the forks vigorously 12 to 15 times, tightened everything back up and went for a quick ride. PROBLEM SOLVED. I changed nothing else. I don’t know the age of my tires, or miles (bought bike used), and I have no idea what the tire pressure is ( I was looking for tire pressure specs when I found this thread).

my wobbles were low speed but NOW THEY ARE GONE. No headstock issues, no tire issues, no alignment issues, only as described above. Thank you STammtisch

Top Bottom