problem installing honda top box last night

Bike
ST1300
Oh my gosh..the guy who wrote those instructions has obviously never had to follow any install instructions himself. It's brilliant that the instructions are written in 8 different languages but the english version is really weak. Wish I could speak French...that version at least had more words.. :) The English version basically said "install box on bike".

Besides the instructions...there was one real issue with the install and I've searched on here for a possible answer but to no avail so far.

When installing the carrier bracket..the part that bolts to the bike...the instructions say "install the rubbers on the rear carrier base". The problem is I have no rubbers... the parts that are shown in the picture are not rubber in my kit...they are metal. Is this a change maybe? Another little problem is that they want you to reuse the "collars" or spacers that came from the original rack when it was removed. If I use those original spacers with the metal spacers that came with the top box .. then the bolts will not tighten the carrier base to the bike...it will remain slightly loose. If I don't use those original spacers then the carrier will tighten up fine. I'm not sure if something has changed in the design or what. Anyone else have this issue?

Attachments

Hashimoto

I Hate Snow
Bike
2006 ST-1300
STOC #
The box is designed so that it can slide side to side a little bit. It should not tighten down securely. I believe that is for passenger comfort, although it's been a couple of years since I installed mine and don't remember the reason for sure.

OP
OP
DaleC
Bike
ST1300
The box is designed so that it can slide side to side a little bit. It should not tighten down securely. I believe that is for passenger comfort, although it's been a couple of years since I installed mine and don't remember the reason for sure.
Yes, that's correct. The side to side movement is fine, but what I'm talking about is not the normal side to side slide but an actual up and down loose fit of the base plate that goes on before the part that slides side to side.

Bike
08 ST1300A
leave the old black plastic cover that was on the bike in place just take the bolts out, bolt the metal plate on top of that , that might help :) i did the same thing then i realized that you just remove the screws not the plastic part

OP
OP
DaleC
Bike
ST1300
leave the old black plastic cover that was on the bike in place just take the bolts out, bolt the metal plate on top of that , that might help :) i did the same thing then i realized that you just remove the screws not the plastic part
Oh. Really? That was not clear at all in the instructions... lol Hey...thank you very much. I don't mind feeling foolish as long as it works out in the end.. :) Thanks.

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
I didn't install the forward collors on my Top Box...didn't like the loosenes of the baseplate.... Without the forward collars, it's nice and snug.. The side to side slide is normal...

Ilbikes

I love old bikes
Vendor
Bike
09 ST
I just installed mine 2 weeks ago. Mine bolted up perfectly, but as you said - the instructions could have been a lot better and those that were printed, condensed to 1/4 page if left in one language. As said in a previous post - the black plastic cover of the hand rail is kept in-place. Mine has absolutely no movement or play - it's very solid and I have no side to side or back/forth, nor do I think any was intended.

Here is my parts list. I'll explain each piece so you can recognize the location of each - these are listed from the top - downward.

Regards,
Gordon

#15 x 4 = rubber bumbers that keep the box from rattling/wearing on the mount.

# 11 x 4 = metal washers
# 18 x 4 = small rubber washers
# 10 x 4 = small plastic washers
# 9 x 4 = large plastic washers
# 17 x 4 = large rubber washers

stellarpod

It's hungry in here...
Bike
'07 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Oh. Really? That was not clear at all in the instructions... lol Hey...thank you very much. I don't mind feeling foolish as long as it works out in the end.. :) Thanks.
I had the same problem. The instructions are terrible in this regard. I asked the same question and some kind soul on this forum helped me out in the same fashion. Sometimes I wonder about the folks who write these *technical* documents.

Steve

OP
OP
DaleC
Bike
ST1300
I just installed mine 2 weeks ago. Mine bolted up perfectly, but as you said - the instructions could have been a lot better and those that were printed, condensed to 1/4 page if left in one language. As said in a previous post - the black plastic cover of the hand rail is kept in-place. Mine has absolutely no movement or play - it's very solid and I have no side to side or back/forth, nor do I think any was intended.

Here is my parts list. I'll explain each piece so you can recognize the location of each - these are listed from the top - downward.

Regards,
Gordon

# 11 x 4 = metal washers

There must have been some sort of change in design somewhere along the line because on mine there is a very small about of side to side motion designed into it...maybe 3/8 inch. But I got it on there correctly today. Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
DaleC
Bike
ST1300
Thanks. I took it off and reinstalled the old black plastic cover and now all is good. I guess I just needed to study those pictures a little more.. :) Nice way to spend my day off.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Harpo

Four Stars
Bike
Kawasaki VN800E
Well, the Honda instructions truly did suck .. and they short changed me on hardware because there are six threaded studs on the base plate and only four screws for them. I'll get a couple more at the hardware store and some rubber washers and do it right. Also, I understand you need to use RTV on the top oblong rubber plugs that dress up the holes .. or they will come out when the top box is removed .. and get lost.

All in all, a very good box. Rode 76 miles this evening with it on and loaded and didn't notice any jiggling or sailing from crosswinds.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
The top box came today! In blue to boot! :run1:

But **** the instructions are BEYOND horrible.:rocket1:

Is there better documentation on the forum that someone has put together?

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Was going to do this in the next evening or so... glad I found this thread! Thanks Tom for the enhanced instructions. :)

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Was going to do this in the next evening or so... glad I found this thread! Thanks Tom for the enhanced instructions. :)
You're quite welcome! I tried to align it with the steps in the instructions that came with the top box. Let me know if I missed anything or if it's not clear.

PS love your avatar pic & the caption!

Bike
HONDA ST 1300
I agree....mine fits tight & snug with no movement whatsoever. I also have no trouble removing or refitting it. Instructions were a little difficult to follow at first but I had it all fitted in a very short time.

[/S]

Regards,
Gordon

# 11 x 4 = metal washers

stellarpod

It's hungry in here...
Bike
'07 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Excellent job, teglasscock!

I'd only make one suggestion; you should emphasize the fact that the black plastic cover must remain in place when installing the metal carrier rack. It is not terribly apparent in Honda's instructions and this has caused more confusion than anything else, as the assembly won't properly make up and tighten without it.

Steve

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Excellent job, teglasscock!

I'd only make one suggestion; you should emphasize the fact that the black plastic cover must remain in place when installing the metal carrier rack. It is not terribly apparent in Honda's instructions and this has caused more confusion than anything else, as the assembly won't properly make up and tighten without it.

Steve
Good point, thanks for the feedback! Changes made.

Attachments

Top Bottom