ST1300 Headlight Problem

I first noticed my lights was out during the daytime when i stopped and left the key on and noticed they was out execept the little corner lights was on. I think that was weird that the lights just burnt out at the same time and i had just replaced them 6 months ago. So i hit the high beam and no lights so i cut the key off. After i scratched my head i turned the key back on then flipped the hi - low and then they came back on. I played around with that combo and they would work just fine. I jumped into the fuse blocks and they all looked clean and check the relays to see if thay was any loose connections none found. I suspect the key switch because when they don't work i can cut the bike off with the key instead of on/off switch and the lights will come back on. The on/off switch seams to not bring them back on. Has anyone had this problem or have a electrical schematic for me to trouble shoot this problem. I suppose the switch works the grounds on this circuit to make the lights come on. Maybe its a bad ground but i would think they be more acting up than just the headlights.

Re: Headlight Problem

Go to Radio Shack and pick up some Radio Contact Cleaner (not sure of the exact name), you want to make sure it is to clean dust out of radios, you do NOT want to use WD-40 that will suck the dust in. I clean my switches on a regular basis.

OP
OP

I checked the switch just a few ago and it was clean as new. I went ahead and use contact cleaner to clean it again. I was looking at the schematic and it looks that the the starter switch might be my next thing to check. It disconnects the headlights while starting and this could be it. Thanks for your reply.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway

Don't forget to blast the starter button with cleaner too. There's a headlight interrupt switch in there that could cause this problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't forget to blast the starter button with cleaner too. There's a headlight interrupt switch in there that could cause this problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good point, I do all my switches, turn signals as well. How do you know they are clean, have you taken them apart?

OP
OP

Just a update the problem was on the starter switch. I cleaned the contact and the problem is repaired.

My girfriends '07 had this same problem yesterday, I checked the fuses, all ok. Walked away for a while and everything was tickedy-boo when we returned. I hate these intermittent little problems, you never know when they might raise their annoying little heads. I will try the contact cleaner on both of our bikes. Good idea. I usually use some silicone graphite on my key inserts to keep them lubed up nicely. What a great website, so far all of my concerns have been answered here. Keep up the good work guys and girls.:bow1:

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #

Posted via Mobile Device
OMG! with all of its information contained here online; this site is amazing! This posted saved me time, money and worry!!

A buddy and I took off from my house to get something to eat around 8 pm a few nights ago. We were only going about 5 miles from the house when all of a sudden my headlights went out about half way there. I totally freaked out because here we are, two-up on a bike with only running lights on a dark busy street with cross traffic. We made it to the diner safely but I couldn't enjoy my meal because I kept wondering how I was going to get back home.

After finishing dinner I got back on the bike and played with the key switch a few times, as well as the high/low switch and nothing seemed to get the lights back on. It was only after I hit the starter switch did the headlights come back on. At that point I knew it must have been something to do with the starter switch. Once I got home I went online here and found this thread and headed over to Radio Shack the next day to get a 5.5 oz can of Electronics Cleaner for $11 (ouch). They also had a can of Cleaner/Lubricant but I wasn't real sure about getting it after I read the bit about not using WD40, so I just stuck with the cleaner.

Two questions:
1. Does anyone know if I need to open up the plastic housing to clean the switch and if so, how do you open it and do I need to be careful about anything springing out from it?

2. Any ideas on the Cleaner/Lubricant use? Should it be used?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/ideas!

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway

You should be able to squirt enough cleaner through the gap between the switch and the housing to do the job. Put something under the switch assembly to keep the cleaner from dropping onto your painted bits. If you need to open the housing, there are two phillips screws that go in from underneath. Pay attention which screw came from where as they are two different lengths. Nothing will come springing out at you.

Bike
2007 ST1300

Picked up a used '07 yesterday, everything perfect, this am, Oh-dark-thirty, no headlights. Needed to scoot so went anyway. After about 2 miles, poof, lights come on and stay on...

Expect it is a dirty starter switch as sounds exactly the same...

Glad I joined this board, a wealth of info, THANKS!!!!

Jan....

If it is the same design as my Honda shadow, the best move is to dissasemble the starter switch(watch the springs & Stuff) and clean the corrosion off and then coat everything with Dielectric grease(I think!)

I had to do this every 3 years on the shadow, it saw a lot more miles and rain....

It is some sort of headlight bypass configuration when you press the starter button it turns the headlight off you give the starter the juice, and then the metal piece slides back to complete the headlight ciircuit...

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #

Two questions:
1. Does anyone know if I need to open up the plastic housing to clean the switch and if so, how do you open it and do I need to be careful about anything springing out from it?

2. Any ideas on the Cleaner/Lubricant use? Should it be used?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/ideas!
Use a plastic safe contact cleaner or cleaner lube for switch contacts and connectors. Stay away from evil dirt collecting stuff like wd40.

I'd at least start by just spaying in the switch housing and excercising the switches. I'm past due for my turn signal switch.

For key locks try a dry lube like dri-slide.

Rat shack tends to be expensive although some brands are expensive at "real" stores.

Try grainger or msc.
LINK

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1D262

Bike
1991 ST1100
I had the same problem on my 91 st1100. Sometimes it was on...sometimes not. The quick way to find out was to flip the highbeam switch on and see if the blue idiot light came on. I also identified the starter switch as the culprit. Turned to bike off, and worked the starter button a few times and it hasn't happened since.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Pick up a contact cleaner spray from the local electronics store. I use the MG Chemical Electrosolve Contact Cleaner - zero residue. Works great to clean - no lubricant. If you get it on a finished plastic like polystyrene, abs, and vinyl, wipe it off immediately and no problems, however Polycarbonate parts may not survive.

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
I have had the same issue with the hazard switch, used cleaner and issue gone. :toot1:

Bike
1998 ST1100
I had the same basic problem a couple of weeks ago... out of nowhere - on a dark street at night - my headlights went out. After flipping every switch I could get my fingers on - on the left handball switch module - my thumb bumped the horn button and the headlights came on instantly.

I figured it was a one-time deal... but sure enough... a couple of nights later... no headlights again when I went to start the bike. A little flip of this, a little honk of that and the headlights came on again... eventually... but in all this flipping and honking... I concluded that it was not closely related to the horn button.

I disassembled the left handlebar switch assy and shot it good with contact cleaner and greased it all up with the right stuff and everything was working a lot smoother and error free for a couple of days...

The "no headlight" problem cropped up again. I disassembled the right hand switch assy and squirted contact cleaner in there as best I could... no help. Sometimes the headlights came on after start - sometimes not. When they did not come on... or if they just quit mid-ride... I'd bump the starter button and they'd come back on.

Further investigation led me to a very sticky starter button... It would push in just fine (breaking the headlight circuit as programmed and starting the bike) but it would not always pop fully back out when released.

I shot a bit of silicone spray into the gap that the starter switch come thru... and voila' no more sticky starter switch and no more missing headlight problems.

Bike
Pan ST1300 2003
I'd just like to give you's all a big smacker!!! Having checked fuses, relays, bulbs, continuity tesing wires, etc with no joy I was just about to go back to the mechanic with this! It turned out that the starter button was sticky and not coming out properly!!! Once the starter button was flicked out, on came my lights! Joy!!!

Happy New Year lads and lasses.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Yes, just had the starter button thing happen to me as well, I figured it out, but also... mine was sticking so bad, that they starter was trying to stay engaged after the engine started !!!

Top Bottom