ST1300 Headlight Problem

Bike
Pan ST1300 2003
Yes, just had the starter button thing happen to me as well, I figured it out, but also... mine was sticking so bad, that they starter was trying to stay engaged after the engine started !!!
Bet that sounded nice! ;op

Re: Headlight Problem

Don't forget to blast the starter button with cleaner too. There's a headlight interrupt switch in there that could cause this problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
After checking fuses, replacing headlight bulbs ( that was a lot of fun), I saw your post. Sprayed contact cleaner in the starter switch, and voila, the headlight works again. I only wish I read your post before others suggesting a more drastic problem. Thank you!

Bike
03 ST1300
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!.....Dropped my ST1300 (lightly) today trying to turn too hard and going too slow pulling into a parking spot. After picking it up and doing my business at the store, all seemed well until I was at a stop light behind a vehicle and something didn't look right. Didn't see my headlights in the reflection. After flipping high beams on and off and no joy, I freaked out a little. With turn signals and running lights still working, I went ahead and continued to work. I was running through everything in my mind. Fuse....ground....did I actually break something?.... Then, I jumped on the site, looked around and found this thread. Crossed my fingers and went out and checked the starter switch....sure enough. Whew! I'll be picking up some contact cleaner today or tomorrow to fix it and maybe pull it apart this weekend, if I need to. Thanks to all who kept me from ripping everything apart searching for issue. :bow1:

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I recently had a problem where my headlights would go off and on intermittently. I was a bit puzzled because everything else electrical worked fine ... the issue affected only the low beams and high beams. Since they don't share a common relay, I ruled that out as a possible source. Then I wondered about having a faulty ground until I found this thread. Yes, Sir! Threads like this make my annual $$$ contribution all wothwhile. Flooded the starter button from inside the housing with Radio Shack contact cleaner and watched brown liquid drain out. Thanks, everyone! <Ken>

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
That brown stuff was the factory installed dielectric grease that lubricates and protects the switch contacts. Without it the problem will return and likely be worse. To finish the job take the switch pod halfs apart and relube the various switch mechanisms. It will be good for many thousands of miles to come.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
On the 2010, I just cleaned out the turn signal switch and re-grease it with die-electric grease. Seems to be working fine.

One note on the headlights/starter switch. On our trip to the SouthWest this last September, the switch's nylon bracket/holder broke on Justin's (my old '05) and we had to do a field fix. When the bike started, the headlights wouldn't come on. The way I found out the problem was I took the switch apart and then pushed down on the electrical part and the headlights came on as long as I was pushing down. Justins fix was to melt two holes in the switch case, run a wire tie up around the actual switch and hold it in place. It worked great for the 4 days we needed it to. :D

Bike
ST1300
STOC #

Go to Radio Shack and pick up some Radio Contact Cleaner (not sure of the exact name), you want to make sure it is to clean dust out of radios, you do NOT want to use WD-40 that will suck the dust in. I clean my switches on a regular basis.
I have used WD-40 multi-purpose spray in the past on electrical components before I learned here that is a no-no, in spite of what the can label indicates, and it has never caused a problem that I'm aware of. However, in view of all the posts I've seen here banning its use on electrical stuff, I now use it only out of desperation if I don't have any specific electrical contact cleaner in the garage, such as CRC. If you DO use it on something electrical in a pinch, a word of warning: obviously, you want to unplug the appliance before spraying anything on an electrical switch or any component. You also need to allow several minutes for the solvent to evaporate before applying power to the device. DAMHIK!
The above having been said, WD-40 does market an electrical contact cleaner spray that I would use in a heartbeat if I ever find some. I don't recall having seen it at any local auto parts stores, but the website states that it's available at Grainger. I haven't yet looked for it at Home Depot or Lowe's or any hardware store.

I had the same basic problem a couple of weeks ago... out of nowhere - on a dark street at night - my headlights went out. After flipping every switch I could get my fingers on - on the left handball switch module - my thumb bumped the horn button and the headlights came on instantly.

I figured it was a one-time deal... but sure enough... a couple of nights later... no headlights again when I went to start the bike. A little flip of this, a little honk of that and the headlights came on again... eventually... but in all this flipping and honking... I concluded that it was not closely related to the horn button.

I disassembled the left handlebar switch assy and shot it good with contact cleaner and greased it all up with the right stuff and everything was working a lot smoother and error free for a couple of days...

The "no headlight" problem cropped up again. I disassembled the right hand switch assy and squirted contact cleaner in there as best I could... no help. Sometimes the headlights came on after start - sometimes not. When they did not come on... or if they just quit mid-ride... I'd bump the starter button and they'd come back on.

Further investigation led me to a very sticky starter button... It would push in just fine (breaking the headlight circuit as programmed and starting the bike) but it would not always pop fully back out when released.

I shot a bit of silicone spray into the gap that the starter switch come thru... and voila' no more sticky starter switch and no more missing headlight problems.
I want to thank you for this posting, Yes, I had the same problem and of course it happens in the middle of the night ;) Your posting helped me after I had checked fuses/ relays etc Such a simple problem to fix once you have found it. Thank you again you made my day! :)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
There are several posts regarding a sticky/dirty starter switch being responsible for lights out. Maybe one could be a sticky or one made specifically to be a sticky.

Even long time members get tripped up by Honda's Prince of Darkness. And it's an easy fix compared to a vehicle with 'lectrics by Lucas.

While a spray contact cleaner/lube gives an immediate fix it might be better to open up and clean then lube with a grease. Anybody solely use a spray with long term success?

Bike
ST1300A4
Just had this problem on mine - a Euro spec bike. Riding down the road at 70mph then suddenly not having lights wasn't much fun. Being a Euro bike, it has the three position headlight switch (normal, latch towards the front of the bike for high beam, or push and hold towards the back of the bike for an intermittent "pass" high beam). What confused me as I looked into this was that pressing the switch into the "pass" position would give high beam (but not together with low beam as it normally would). Latching into high beam, or leaving in low beam was equally dark. I therefore assumed that there was something wrong with that switch.

It turns out that the "pass" circuit on the Euro bikes doesn't draw it's power through the starter switch, but from a separate feed from the power relay. This can be seen by hitting the kill switch, then trying to start the bike. The headlights turn off, but if you press pass the high beam comes on even with the starter pressed.

Quite useful to have a separate backup circuit.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I can see there's no need to apologize for continuing to post on this old thread but I don't see how I can go without mentioning I found information in this forum once again that saved me time, money and frustration. I found my headlights out, having just placed 2 F2 LEDs a month ago.
I also found both headlamp fuses intact and about .2 volts at the connections for the headlights. Being electrically savvy enough to wire a bypass from the battery tender straight to the LED revealed it worked. Getting on this forum and finding this thread, I turn the key on, hit the kill switch and cycled the starter button and watched the headlights flicker. I now know to clean the starter button contacts, thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Just a update the problem was on the starter switch. I cleaned the contact and the problem is repaired.
I am reading the comments and agree the starter is a suspect as it does interrupt the headlights - did you just shoot cleaner in where the starter button/switch is or did you disassemble the unit? If so, can you tell me just what you did? My headlights were fine, then one day I put the high beams on (I like to ride with them in the daytime on back roads) and no blue indicator lamp. I pulled over and sure enough, the headlights were out. Started the bike and they came back on. Hmmm. This happened a few times but now the lights are out period. As for the ignition switch, it's buried pretty deep - I shot contact cleaner into the key slot but am not convinced that the contacts are in that part of the housing. I am liking the starter switch as a culprit - hate taking the bike to Honda because their service people, in general, are not good troubleshooters and they charge by the hour. Peter

Top Bottom