Tips for finding a bairly used Roadcrafter for half the cost!

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I always felt uneasy about riding in slacks to work and once I decided to research the best riding suit for my safety and well being the results were very clear. I should be wearing a Aerostich Roadcrafter.

Here are my tips for getting the best deal, and these tips apply to most any gear you buy online.

1. Know your suit - Use the Aerostich site to figure out your perfect size and preferred colors. Think about what you must have and what you are willing to settle for. Read reviews and understand owners complaints (crotch leak, fading).
  2. Google - This is the best advice I can give! You can Google Craigslist, Ebay, or every MC fansite on the web for used suits. Google re-indexes Craigslist pretty pretty often, I found my suit in 2 weeks by Googling my size without the length "roadcrafter 42", most people do not know the length or leave it blank, so "42R" had abysmal results.
  3. Expired Craigslist Postings- If the link points to an expired post, no worries, the seller most likely re-listed it. Click on the last category link on the top of the page and use the search.
  4. Confirm - A lot of sellers do not know what they have and I have helped many sellers identify their suit and fix their ad's. "Black" is not an acceptable answer, you need to ask what is the main color of the suit, and what color are the shoulders. The person who sold me my suit described it as Red and black with bits of silver on the front and back. (They were listing the interior color). Also confirm it has all 6 pads (shoulder, elbow, knee) and check for optional back, and hip. Some suits I found are a original roadcrafter without pads (comfortable abrasion resistance, but no impact protection, and in need of a good wash&waterproofing).
  5. Repairs - Ask if it was used in a fall! Are there any wear holes? These might not be deal breakers if they are on the ballistics and not through the goretex. Aerostich does repairs, but shipping and repairs combined might make the suit not worth it.
  6. Size - Most posts list the size number and the riders height and weight. This is handy, but the length is too. I have herd of some regulars (R) where the length is sewn into the tag, and some where it is not. If you used the sizing tool properly you shouldn't need to know the original owners weight.
  7. Friendly - People on Craigslist are weary of people asking them to mail a purchase and most won't do it. Smilies and friendly chitchat about cycling puts them at ease you probably are not a scammer. You can also consider befriending a forum member in that area if they will assist in the purchase.
  8. Haggle tips - Not the colors you wanted but you would wear it, ask for less, I did! I don't want a flashy color, so I was less willing to buy and offered less. (I ended up buying a red one to wear until I find a used one that is in my colors. Another suit I bid on was my preferred colors, so I offered more. Offering to pay in full, rather than half now-half later might get you a better bargain. Keep in mind what the shipping might come to, a road trip could be worth it. Don't need it that bad, bid lower. Is it the perfect suit, then you need to make a strong offer because you are at a disadvantage by asking them to ship it.

P.S. I am told there is a 10% discount for buying in store, and the possibility of used suits at the store as well. For some, the price difference, and an excuse for a roadtrip, make it very appealing to buy new. Check the Aerostich site for factory seconds as well.

P.P.S. I Discovered the manufacturing date and size written in pen on the inside of the left breast pocket. Otherwise Aerostich will tell you the suits birth date if you know the original owners name and address I was told over the phone.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Those are good ideas and cast a wide net.

I followed the IBMWR Marketplace website and fleaBay for a couple of weeks looking for one and lucked into a custom fitted RC that was my exact size including raising the kneepads one inch and shortening the calf 1/2". Somewhere out there is my exact body twin driving a car all the time because he sold his motorcycle and Roadcrafter. I paid half what Aerostich gets new plus alterations for what to me was a brand new suit.

OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
After this mornings search, I remembered the following tip and added it.

[*]Expired Craigslist Postings- If the link points to an expired post, no worries, the seller most likely re-listed it. Click on the last category link on the top of the page and use the search.

Bike
91 ST1100 Black
STOC #
So, I'd love to have a Roadcrafter but a new one seems like it will wait for the day I hit the lottery... Thought about the Phantom, but the Tales of Karen and others have stopped that thought... Just what is the Price Range on these Used Roadcrafters ?

Inquiring minds want to know...

OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
So, I'd love to have a Roadcrafter but a new one seems like it will wait for the day I hit the lottery... Thought about the Phantom, but the Tales of Karen and others have stopped that thought... Just what is the Price Range on these Used Roadcrafters ?

Inquiring minds want to know...
$350 to $450 for a one-piece with no flaws (other than broken in) was my personal range for "good deals" in this economy, time of year, and my patience. And the nice part is they retain this value quite well it seems. So long as it does not break, fade, or a new version releases, you might make your money back if you have to sell after a couple years.

A lot of original owners have remorse over what they paid for them and advertise "$600+ firm" for just the suit. In this case just make an offer for what you are willing to pay, don't let their price phase you, and wait a couple days for their ad to expire. When they get no other interest they will be much more willing to negotiate, depending on how bad they need the money.

YMMV

Bike
ST1300A 2006
I have a custom fit Aerostich one piece RoadCrafter. It is the best investment in riding I ever made (besides the bike). It lets me start the season early, and end late. I can go riding on an instants notice, and because it has such a wide range of comfort (30-85) I actually ride with my protection on. I can't tell you how much fun it is to drive by Harley Riders hiding under an overpass while the rain comes down (and they are already soaked!). But of course their leathers will dry out in a couple of days.

We spend a lot for the basic equipment, and I find that having the right gear (like an Aerostich Suit) let's me get the most out of my investment. The people are helpful and know what they are talking about.

Buying a Aerostich was an investment in my riding comfort, season, range, and safety...

I say order smaller lunch and dinners while on the road and buy yourself the best personal riding tool you'll have (along with a great saddle and helmet).

Dale

OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #

I updated the Google Craigslist link for less dead Ad's. It's pretty sweet now.

I also added the birth day info.

P.P.S. I Discovered the manufacturing date and size written in pen on the inside of the left breast pocket. Otherwise Aerostich will tell you the suits birth date if you know the original owners name and address I was told over the phone.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
In the SF Bay Area Craigslist over the last few weeks I have seen dozens of roadcrafters come up for sale.

Dan

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
My new to me Roadcrafter just arrived. I used the Aerostich sizing tool and then started googling "roadcrafter 44". In less than 2 weeks I found one on craigslist in CA, sure it is fifteen years old and the 3M reflective patches are peeling, but it was only worn about three times and the price was right, just $280 plus shipping.

Bike
2010 ST1300
My new to me Roadcrafter just arrived. I used the Aerostich sizing tool and then started googling "roadcrafter 44". In less than 2 weeks I found one on craigslist in CA, sure it is fifteen years old and the 3M reflective patches are peeling, but it was only worn about three times and the price was right, just $280 plus shipping.
I suggest you heed Dale's advice: I say order smaller lunch and dinners while on the road and buy yourself the best personal riding tool you'll have (along with a great saddle and helmet). If you eat like the guys I meet for motorcycle breakfasts, you will outgrow (laterally) the suit in no time......

Top Bottom