Article [13] ST1300 - Brake Fluid Replacement

Bike
St 1300 2006
Thanks Milehigh for the detailed directions! Made the job so much easier! Just finished about an hour ago. I just got back back from a 20 mile ride. Brakes are working great! Thanks again!

Bike
03 ST1300 ABS
Re: ST1300 Brake fluid replacement

Very good Tech write-up. I tried to figure out how to do this with the manual and it was hard to follow with their diagrams and crummy "photos". This really clears up a lot of questions. I am surprised that Honda did not provide an easy-to-remove access panel so that the rear master cylinder can be checked and filled! It is a little disturbing that so much tuppaware removal is required. Oh well, it is what it is...

Bike
2005 ST1300
Thanks for your work on the instructions....the images and assistance in removing the fairing parts are indeed worth it as the service manual is a bit tough to follow. In conjunction with my manual and the other readers input this process went well for me with very good results in terms of braking performance.
In looking through the reservoir fluid level window prior to changing the fluid it did not seem bad. But after changing the clutch fluid I noticed a huge difference in the fluid color through the window....at first glance I thought that I did not fill the clutch reservoir it was so clear and in comparison to the brake reservoir which was not completed yet...literally night and day. Really noticed the improved response in pedal and lever. A highly recommended procedure for keeping the braking system operating at its peak.
Again, thanks for your "well done" information and to the others for their contribution!

Bike
2004 ST 1300
I am going to change brake fluid in a few days. Question: Will the Motion Pro bleeder work on the proportional control valve or should I go by a might Vac???

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I am going to change brake fluid in a few days. Question: Will the Motion Pro bleeder work on the proportional control valve or should I go by a might Vac???

The Motion Pro will do just fine, probably better than a Mighty Vac.

John

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you have a bleeder tool now like the Motion Pro there's no need to buy a Mityvac but if you need to get one my preference is the Mityvac.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Very good Tech write-up. I tried to figure out how to do this with the manual and it was hard to follow with their diagrams and crummy "photos". This really clears up a lot of questions. I am surprised that Honda did not provide an easy-to-remove access panel so that the rear master cylinder can be checked and filled! It is a little disturbing that so much tuppaware removal is required. Oh well, it is what it is...
I don't really understand here. The only Tupperware that needs to be completely removed is the triangular side cover on the right side. You can remove some of the fasteners holding the large middle cowl, leaving the 4 JIS crosspoint screws, and gently pull the rear of it away from the frame far enough to access the proportional control valve. I take a screwdriver handle wrapped in a rag and use it to hold the back of the cowl far enough out to bleed the PVC. I snake the bleed hose for the Mityvac through the opening in the cowl that the valve cover normally occupies.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I want to add that pumping the SMC while it's tilted will get out air that was put in at the factory. Got this from okmurdog. Hope it wasn't his posts that were deleted.

TGahan

STom
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #

@milehigh- Thanks so much for the great write up along with the pictures! My friend and I followed all the steps in order and were able to complete the 12,000 mile service on my '05 (not a typo, bought it used 2 years ago with less than 7K mile on it!) without taking it to the dealer! Thank you so much for your time and effort!

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Wow this went by quick. I took the plastics off last night. I got all the bleeding done in about 30 minutes. It took longer to install the plastics than it did to flush the clutch and brake fluid.

For what it's worth, if you set up some clear tubing just right, you can leave the bleeder open and slowly work the lever or pedal (you just need to ensure that no air gets sucked back into the system). It takes me about a minute or so to work through a reservoir-full of fluid.

Bike
ST1300
Re: ST1300-Brake Fluid Replacement

Thanks very much for taking the time to document all of this. I'm planning to do mine this weekend - you've answered all my questions.

Bike
ST1300
Well I've just had a long and frustrating time doing my brakes. I've had the calipers off for cleaning and service, so the whole system had been completely drained. I followed the procedure faithfully, and my first comment was the PCV bleed was very slow. I had the vacuum pressure cranked up to about 15 inHg, the fluid started to appear quite quickly but once I had a solid line of fluid everything slowed to a snail's pace. I intended to flush at least a full reservoir at each step, but the PCV would have taken hours, and hours... However, my main problem was with the front brake. After 3 long bleeding sessions, sucking through 3-4 pints of fluid with no air appearing past the nipple, the front brake was still very spongy. Clearly I needed to do something to make the air, wherever it was hiding to bleed through. On my 4th attempt I unbolted the front left caliper, and with vacuum applied I rotated the whole caliper as far as I could in all directions (carefully due to the 3 brake lines attached) and SUCCESS, a large bubble appeared. I excitedly closed the nipple, popped the caliper back on the disc and to my great relief the lever now feels normal!!! I then did the same with the RHS caliper for good measure, but as expected I got no further bubbles.

So, my experience is that air can persist somewhere in the LHS caliper, and normal vacuum bleeding with the caliper bolted in position does not move it. I hope this help somebody sometime :D

Bike
ST1300 Pan
Mark (Milehigh) thanks for providing the detailed writeup. Changed my brake fluid today and this guide made it so easy, although using a hand pump Mityvac, I've now developed muscles I didn't know I had on the PCV. Test ride showed hugely improved responsiveness to the brakes.

Thanks again for your efforts.

Cheers

PCV valve is not draining. Unscrewed the bleeder valve all the way and fluid was coming out. Bad bleeder valve? Suggestions?

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A

Are you using a pump or the pedal?

Mityvac pump. I had to manually pump rear brake pedal for pcv and rear brake bleeder valves. Mityvac wouldn't suck it out. Is this normal?

Top Bottom