MileHigh

MileHigh

Juvenile delinquent
Bike
2006 ST
STOC #
Re: ST1300 Brake fluid replacement

Mark,

Love the writeup for both the clutch and the brake fluid change. Just one question, would completely emptying the reservoirs introduce air bubbles into the lines? Should some of the old fluid be left in the reservoir and then pumped through when bleeding?

Thanks,
Andrew
Yes, completely emptying a reservoir (while a bleed screw on a caliper or Proportioning Control Valve is open and you are bleeding) would introduce air into the system.

Just emptying a reservoir from the top would not introduce air, as long as you don't pull the lever or push the pedal before you refill the reservoir.

You would just have to spend additional time bleeding to get that air out. Bikes with ABS may compound the problem.

When I was a Chevrolet mechanic, the last thing you wanted to do was get air into a system with ABS. It took more work and, sometimes, you had to use a scan tool to command the ABS solenoids open to remove trapped air in an ABS controller.

Not sure if this is the same on the ST1300 with ABS but, why risk it. It's just too easy to just keep the inlet at the bottom of the reservoir covered with fresh brake fluid while you are bleeding. Especially with a helper! Even a teenage daughter can keep a reservoir full while you bleed. ;)

Don't leave any old brake fluid in the reservoir. That's the goal, remove/replace/flush the old fluid.

Weather you use the vacuum bleeder to suck the old fluid out of the reservoir at first or, a turkey baster or syringe. As long as you don't pump the lever or pedal and, you close the bleed valves while bleeding with a vacuum bleeder before the reservoir empties, this maintenance task is quick & easy.

A vacuum operated bleeder and the cost of a compressor may seem high but, you can use it on your cars brake and clutch system as well. This will and add years of reliability to the complex braking system in a vehicle by performing this simple task.

Besides, you know you always needed a compressor in the garage. Makes drying the bike with a blow gun attachment, after a wash, much faster as well. :D

A dealer would charge at least $100 for a brake fluid flush on a car. Quicky lube shops might charge $20-30 bucks for the same procedure but, sometimes you get what you pay for.

Just doing my clutch fluid replacement made the clutch feel like brand new again....like butter.:bow1:

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #

Very GOOD write up with excellent pics.

One additional thing I don't think I saw listed...with the old "don't ask why I know"... :0

Chock the front wheel to prevent knocking which can cause dot4 to splash out.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Re: ST1300-Brake Fluid Replacement

Great Article!.. Just used it to change the brake fluid.

Bike
FJR1300

I'm new here and I've been anxious to post but I haven't been able to as I also want to make sure that I'm not asking questions about things that were already covered so I spend a lot of time using ST search and reading historical posts and I found this one. What a great contribution the write up is. I don't have a question, I just want to say thank you.

Last edited:

JimS

Today is a Good Day to Ride
Bike
'06
STOC #

Wanted to say thanks to MileHigh for this and the clutch article. Couldn't have done it w/out it!! :cool:

Bike
07 ST1300

Great job with this. I was wondering a couple things though. You used the Mighty Vac. I have always used the brake lever to pump the fluid thru the system. Is this acceptable to do with this system? It also appears to me that you could bleed the front and rear reservoirs independantly if you are pressed for time. The front looks fairly quick and easy to do. The takes much more time and more difficult. Is my asumption correct?

Bike
07 ST1300

My last statement should have said "The back reservoir looks to take much more time and is more difficult." I should proof read better.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I tried downloading the PDF file from the first post with no success.:(
The link is no longer valid, that member doesn't have his site anymore and wasn't able to get a backup copy.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Rather than a pdf, I copied the entire set of instructions (including pics), pasted onto a Word document, then edited so the page breaks fell in the right spot. Rather than a MityVac (which I do have), I used a Motion Pro hydraulic brake bleeder. Worked like a charm and truly a one-man effort. Possibly the best $20 I've spent.

Bike
ST 1300 (2003)

thank you very much for this information i changed brake fluid by following your instruction.

I keep a spray bottle of water handy in case any brake fluid gets frisky.

I saved the original file as a PDF. I couldn't attach it, too large?. If anyone would like a copy PM me and I'll send it on. The file is 2.7 MB.

Len

Bike
Scarlett
STOC #
I just replaced all the brake fluid on my 05. Couldnt have done it without this write up!
Thank you so much Mr Milehigh Mark!

Bike
2021 R1250RT
Repl. all my brake & clutch fluid. Thanks for taking the time & going to the trouble of writing this up, esp. w/ pics. It was very helpful. Love my new Mityvac. :)

Bike
2006 ST1300PA
STOC #
Yesterday I replaced all the brake fluid on my 2006. Couldn't have done it without Milehigh's write up and photo's.......Great help!

He made the perceived impossible into the VERY achievable. THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!!

Top Bottom