Article [13] ST1300 - Clutch Fluid Replacement

doghouse

ATGATT Saved My Life
Bike
2003 ST1300
Clutch fluid is supposed to look like this, right? :rofl1:

Got her home last night (bike lived in Austin, I live a bit north of Dallas), did a flush of the system while I wait for parts, and it appears that the PO’s diagnosis was correct. Quick spin around the block and while clutch action is a little wonky (I didn’t do a perfect job of bleeding) all seems well.

Will update once I get parts and tear in (hoping I get parts early this week, but it might take longer... sigh). Thanks to this guide for giving me the confidence to do this!

Attachments

FrogmanDave

Dave Scott
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
That clutch fluid is way dark. Probably twice as dark as mine was. You have a really nice looking old Ford there. And the ST ain't bad either ;)

A good vacuum bleeder can be made if you have a metal weed sprayer ., first pull out the pump, & take the plunger off, & flip the it around backwards., Then pull the one way rubber valve gently out & insert it on the opposite side (which is now inside the pump instead of outside) you will need an extension or a broom stick , or anything to push it back in place..You now have a vacuum pump & not only can you still afford lunch , but you can suck out old fluid from the top, & then add new, & suck it out the bottom bleeder without the risk of aeration..You 'l figure out what hoses to patch together to make it fit..My sprayer happens to be a 'Chapman" , I think harbor freight has similar ones ., never tried to convert the plastic models..

JimS

Today is a Good Day to Ride
Bike
'06
STOC #
When I view MileHi's article, all the images are attached at the end of the post. Is this something with just my browser, or does anyone else see that?

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
When I view MileHi's article, all the images are attached at the end of the post. Is this something with just my browser, or does anyone else see that?
Yes, same here. I've seen that before, not sure why that happens. Looks like they attempted to put the pictures with the explanations.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Cost of keeping forum software modern and secure.

Mark/MileHigh created the article when the forum was using vBulletin software. Conversion to the current XenForo software broke some of the links/format which were only valid for vBulletin. So the direct placement of pictures within the article couldn't be maintained when the forum was converted. Mark/MileHigh hasn't been back to edit his article and place the pictures correctly within the article from within this new forum software.

Some other articles have been edited and corrected by their author(s).

JimS

Bike
'06
STOC #
Thanks for the update John. I have a hardcopy, but it's showing a bit of wear, and it looks like I have a page missing. I'm sure I saved the copy on my computer, but haven't found it yet. Since Mark hasn't logged in for over 3 years, I'll upload it if I find it.

JimS

Bike
'06
STOC #
Ok I found my copy(found long, long, ago, in a folder far, far, away). I tried to upload, but says file is too large (22mb). I compressed it but it made the page format kinda wonky. Maybe an admin can attach it the original post, at least until I, or someone, can correct the original article.

Attachments

Bike
2003 ST1300A
Can anyone say why we'd pull the old fluid out via syringe etc versus just pumping it through the system and out the bleeder? I'm about to do this maintenance and I can't see the benefit of one over the other, except maybe being able to pull clean fluid sooner from a time perspective.

I look forward to swapping my maple syrup for fresh fluid in my clutch today.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Can anyone say why we'd pull the old fluid out via syringe etc versus just pumping it through the system and out the bleeder? I'm about to do this maintenance and I can't see the benefit of one over the other, except maybe being able to pull clean fluid sooner from a time perspective.

There are a couple steps missing in this article, call me and I will explain.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A

Why would you want to pull all the old crap and sediment through the system, risking clogging up your clutch slave cylinder and return port in your master cylinder housing?
Suck out the old fluid, clean both ports in the master cylinder housing, wipe everything clean and dry, add new fluid and start your flush/bleed etc.
Your motorcycle will thank you for it.
:WCP1:

Bike
2003 ST1300A
Ah, this is why (see photo). Thankfully I looked before I pumped. I would have saved myself some embarrassment and having to admit it looked that bad if I just followed along. Live and learn.

I saw this when I opened it up and drained it down.
1628965599386.png

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Ah, this is why (see photo). Thankfully I looked before I pumped. I would have saved myself some embarrassment and having to admit it looked that bad if I just followed along. Live and learn.

I saw this when I opened it up and drained it down.
1628965599386.png
Just saw your picture….I would now be concerned what you csc looks like now.
Your piston may be jammed up causing your too soon release etc.

Last edited:
Bike
2003 ST1300A
Update: Clutch has never felt better. It engages properly now, no longer immediately at the bar and smoother than it has ever been. I used Igofar's method of tapping and bouncing the bars back and forth and rapping on the grips after an overnight sit to coax the last air (or most of it) out of the system. I did see a big bubble pop out while doing this and snapping the lever. Both ports are clear and functioning I could see the fluid create movement when low on volume in both the upward and lateral directions.

Also, I just finished an SMC replacement at the same time. I strapped the bar and pedal down to "pressurize" the system overnight and bounced the bike and bars around this AM, then took the straps off.

I just finished a short test ride and the brakes have never felt this good since I've owned this bike. This is my first time doing a brake bleed and what I call a "major repair" (the SMC swap) and I would not hesitate to do this, or other maintenance again.

Larry, I promise I'll bleed them annually.
Thanks for everyone's comments and yet another save for Igofar. Thanks for being available on :WCP1:. That was time well spent.

Top Bottom