Article [13] ST1300 - Stebel Horn Install

Dano7572

Dano757
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I just installed the compact Stebel horn on my ST1300 and it fits like a glove, so I thought I would share a few details on the install.

On the right side of the bike behind the mirror is a bracket used to support the mirror but it has an extra hole which is perfect for attaching the bolt that comes with the Stebel horn. The only modification required is drilling out the hole to 5/16" so the bolt supplied with the Stebel horn fits. The nice thing is that you can use the mounting bracket and bolts that came with the Stebel horn as it was intended.

The hardest part of the install is removing the plastic. Once the mirror and side panel have been removed you will need to remove the bolts attaching the front panel. You do not need to remove this panel completely, you only need about and inch or so in order to drill the 5/16" hole. Just be careful not to damage the plastic. The hole is only sightly smaller then 5/16" so the drilling is fairly simple.

I installed a relay and provided 12V/20Amp power to the horn and it is loud.

Look at the attached pictures for more details on the install. :D

Dano

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dano the pictures are great. Your post we be helpful because I am planning on doing the same thing if my bike ever gets out of the shop for repairing a coolant leak.

Robert

Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Dano,
Great Pics. I'm wondering about the total time involved from go to stop.Any idea? Why not use a smaller bolt instead? Thios is my Spring project as it's -13degress F this morning here in northern Vt. Thanks for sharing. Very helpful. Jim:04biker:

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I suppose you have it buttoned up again but I would like to see where the braided casing wire harness you have runs to so I can see exactly how you wired it into place.

If you have a pic please share.

Thanks,
Curt

Littlejohn64

3 Wheel ST'r
Bike
CanAm Spyder
crazykz said:
I suppose you have it buttoned up again but I would like to see where the braided casing wire harness you have runs to so I can see exactly how you wired it into place.

If you have a pic please share.

Thanks,
Curt
I plan on running mine like I did for the powerlet plug wire. It went under the frame right below the coil on that side, and followed a wire bundle back past the mono shock, and straight to the battery. Ill try to remember to take pics when I install my horn or next time I have the fairing off.

STOC #
horned

Thanks for the info and it's very timely for me. I have the same horn and plan to install it in the next week or so. Where do you get the braided insulating casing? Where did the 12V 20 Amp power come from? Did you run the wires right off the battery? Do the original wires not provide enough current?

OP
OP
Dano7572

Dano7572

Dano757
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I haven't been on line for a while so sorry for the delayed response. I'll try to answer a few of the past questions.

1) I installed the compact Stebel horn just like the one in the previous link. I could have used a smaller bolt to attach the horn but I used the hardware that came with the horn.
2) I'm getting ready to tear off the plastic again to attempt a ccs-100 cruise control install ($27 at AutoZone) so I'll provide a few more pics on the braided insulating casing for my wires which I purchased at O'Rielly auto parts.
3) The wires for the stock horn are just not sufficient for the power requirements of Stebel horn. I connected the horn directly to the battery via a 20amp fuse and used the original horn wiring to trigger a relay. I would have used my fuse block but I only planned for a maximum of 10Amps per circuit. My fuse block is somewhat unique, I'll provide a few pics of this as well.
Dano :D

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Last edited:

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I installed the Stebel Compact today. Followed Dano's suggestions and the wiring diagram and bingo -- my ST sounds like a LOUD Alpha Romeo Spider.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
I need to stay off this board - I told myself I was done with farkles for a while - well I just went and ordered one from CASporttouring. They have already tapped my credit card so I assume I should be getting it soon. #$@# Board :rolleyes:

I fitted my Stebel Nautilus Compact yesterday. - Not the one with the sideways horns. I can confirm that one is the one to use, not the "regular" one that I have. Dont know how you other guys did it -but I followed the pictures in the first link and the plastic would not fit back on :confused: I tried every position I could for the horn but the trumpets fouled the inner curvature of the right fairing panel when I tried to fit it all back together. So, I used a hacksaw to trim some off the horns so that the fairing would fit back on ;) It now fits perfectly & I can confirm that it is LOUD :D

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
I just received mine, from casporttouring, and it's the compact one that should be used. It appears they have a picture of the bigger one on the website, but it has the product number of the smaller compact one.
I was happy to find that they sent the compact one to me anyway. They really should change that picture, very confusing. Hank :biker:

Top Bottom