Article [13] ST1300 - Stebel Horn Install

SarniaON

Brian Dunning
Site Supporter
Bike
Yamaha Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Many thanks for posting the Stebel horn information. After putting 50,000 miles on my '03 ST, it was time to remove the right side tupperware to replace the brake and clutch fluids - a perfect time to install a real horn on the bike. Without the diagrams, I wouldn't have had a clue on how to mount the horn. This was an easy install using the original post!

Twisted Throttle showed what others bought when ordering the Stebel horn, so I added the "plug and play" wiring kit and a relay as well. Turns out the horn already came with a relay, so now I have a spare one for a future project. A previous post mentioned that the relay was not waterproof and corroded after a year or two, so I wrapped it and the electrical plug/wiring kit with electrical tape and mounted it to the wiring bundle under the front seat with zip ties. Hope this keeps it dry and rustproof. The plug and play kit was well worth the $30 price since it made the wiring very easy.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
When I installed my Stebel I was concerned about the quality of the relay's and purchased a pricier Bosch waterproof relay, it lasted a few months. I then installed a cheapy that is still kickin and clickin. Keep a spare relay and extra fuses with me on road trips.

Bike
2000 GL1500SE
Just wanted to thank you for 0the install info. Just helped NaturallyGW intall one on his 03 today. It was very helpful to not have to decide on a location. :)

John

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well all,
I bit the dust and installed mine. Wow, what a great help this article is. Not sure if Dano is around, but he sure did a great job on this install.
Also, this was the first time I installed a relay. It took a bit of surfing and watching a few You Tube videos to understand what relays do. Then I found an old relay in my electrical parts box off of an old Honda I used to have. Tested it on the bench with an old battery I had and it worked perfect. I could of used the relay that came with the horn, but the Honda one had a nice rubber sleeve that it fit into. Thought it would be more weatherproof with the rubber sleeve on it.
Wife came out to the garage as she said it sounded like a train horn, I took out my ear plugs to talk to her and she wanted to try the horn, well in goes the ear plugs and I gave her a set too. She agreed to that it is loud. Then the daughter caught wind that Dad's bike sounds like a train and she wanted to try the horn button. In goes the ear plugs to as we were testing it in the garage.
What a great novelty. Can't wait to test it out for real.
You won't be disappointed if you do this mod.:)

Bike
Honda ST1300-09
Many thanks for all the Info about Stebel horn. I removed my xenon lights (never like them, I prefer H4 OSRAM X-Racer Xtra Blue ) and was the perfect time to install a real horn like stebel nautilus, compact, on the bike.It was an easy install using your precious Info and photos.

Bike
ST1300
I didn't install it... had someone do it for me, but I pointed them to the links on this thread (thanks!). Quite a delightful and meaningful upgrade from a safety standpoint. I have found myself making sure that I didn't hit it when I didn't need it cuz it is definitely an attention getter! +1 on this accessory and thanks for all the helpful comments and pictures...

Bike
ST1300
I broke down and had somebody put mine in cuz I am not mechanically inclined, but I was glad to point them to this site to show exactly what I wanted! Excellent sounding horn.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I went with the location that John-Down under chose. I didn't have to remove or loosen the front faring. I didn't have the cohonies to flatten the round bracket with a vice grip, but being a paint and body man I went with what I knew. Hammered and dollied the bracket flat, then drilled a hole and bent the bracket level to the ground at about 60MM. I used a large nut as a spacer. It's tall enough that the top of the horn doesn't contact the bracket. The part of the horn that the sound comes out of is near the inside vents on the inner faring. I made the power supply and ground wire harness with 12GA wire. I wrapped it in a plastic wire loom from Tractor Supply. I found some neat STuff called Liquid Tape. It seals up splices or connectors similar to heat shrink tubing. It dries in about ten minutes. I even sealed the bottom of the Stebel Relay for good measure. I also found a threaded boss on the frame in the same general area, with nothing mounted there, so I mounted the relay there. There is a lot of room in this location, and nothing touches any farings or other STuff. When it was time to test the horn, I hit the button and it scared the bageebas out of me! OK now for the fun part...here goes...I am going to try to post pics. Mean 13:tb1:

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Nice install. Pics came out fine.
All the pictures are on their side and out of order. Close but no cigar. I guess if somebody was doing this install, these pics might give them an idea...If they were laying down to view them.:shrug1: I Hope it helps somebody. Mean 13:tb1:

Bike
ST1300
for information,Stebel has Nautilus Compact mini version. It's separate set from air compressor and horn and should be much more easy to find place on bike for installation

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I gotta agree, this horn is so much fun to use. My wife on the back always jumps when I use it. Wish there was a way to warn her when I'm going to hit the button.;)

I also try to exercise the horn once a month. When no one is around, I'll hit it for a few seconds just to make sure it still works.

Bike
2010 ST1300
My horn arrived today but I dont have the shop manual yet. What tuperware needs removed and how? Thanks.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
cjames431 said:
What tuperware needs removed and how.
Use these 3 worksheets

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?73238-ST1300-TupperWare-Worksheet

1. Tupperware worksheet page 1
Right lower cowl
Inner lower cowl
Right inner cowl
Right engine guard cover

2. Tupperware worksheet page 3
Wiggle the right mirror cowl up and down and it will pop out of the 3 spring loaded holding pins.
Then remove the right mirror.

3.Tupperware worksheet page 2

Remove the right inner cowl

I use a zip lock bag to hold all the fasteners from that cowl, then I tape it to that cowl.

Best of luck
Al

Sonny

Road Warrior
Bike
2005 ST 1300A
STOC #
Make sure when you Install the Stebel Horn that you wont Install Audio system in your ST,Specially the Speaker,because the mount in the ST is the mount for the Speaker box screw I have to remove my Stebel horn
and go back to Honda horn

Top Bottom