Article [13] ST1300 - Stebel Horn Install

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
There is an alternate mounting place that puts the bell of the horn in the vents of the inner faring for optimum horn volume. Check the posts from "John Down Under" and my posts to see pics and how to's of our install. In this location, you don't have to loosen or pull the upper center faring. There is a bar in there that is holding the original horn that can be easily modified to accept the Stebel Nautilis twin horn. Everything else in the install is pretty much the same as the others. There is plenty of room, and it fits great, just don't hit the horn button in the garage. I hope this helps with options. Good Luck on your install. Ted
:tb1:

Bike
2010 ST1300
I am leaning more towards your install method. Just gathering intel before I dive in. Thanks for all the help.

Bike
2010 Honda ST1300
STOC #
I'm in the same predicament. I pulled all the tuperware off (thanks for the screw sheets) because I started my fall project:

1) Audiovox CC install
2) Wolo Bad Boy horn install
3) Tightening up the throttle cable (goes with 1)
4) Replacing any screws that I may have stripped previously and are partial

I ran into the problem of TMF (Too Many Farkles). I put speakers into the fairing along with a Sony DIN radio in the left compartment. I'm looking for an alternate location to install the airhorn.

I'll check out the other thread and let you know how it goes. Neatest thing I've done so far is wire a set of fork-mounted driving lights into the light control switch on the Police switch I installed. The switch goes off, headlamps, headlamps and driving lights. Love it.

Russ

Bike
2010 ST1300
Thanks to all those that posted instructions on here for knoobs. Made this a smooth install. I did have to modify my inner cowl to fit around the horn, though. Sounds great can't wait to use it on a cager.

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
I installed the stebel this past spring.. Not very happy with it.. first one quit working 2 months later. They sent me a new one. Now this one doesn't work after 5 months...
It may be from not using it enough? however its mounted under the right side faring with horn pointing downward to keep water, etc out..
I read on here many issues with these horns lately..

I may just go with another manufacturer...

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
OhioDeere said:
It may be from not using it enough?
I do try and use mine monthly, even on a deserted road, or away from traffic.
Two instances this month of people cutting me off. Both of these instances kept my horn on for 5 seconds.
It has worked flawlessly since I put it on last year.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Had problems with my stebel not working twice----first time it was water in my horn. After cleaning and blasting a few times it worked again, second time it was my ground wire had issues---fixed it--works great. Been blasting for 2 years now.

Bike
2006 ST1300 PA ABS
Well I just installed my new Stebel Air Horn per the pic's and instructions on my 2006 ST1300PA.... PERFECT. Easy, mostly but it worked like a charm.

Thanks for the post as it was easier than my original thought...

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
Yup, Just did mine. Easy as pie. I did a little research and found a recommendation about installing it as close to vertical as possible. Zipped the relay to the frame just below the new horn. I just left the original horn for future use if required. Thanks for all the help.

I ordered a Denali one piece horn, not the split variety as the advice seems to be that the Steibel lookalike Denali Soundbomb fits okay.

Sods law, been to the Post Office this morning to collect it and they've sent the split one that has the hose connecting compressor to horn.

I'm pretty sure it'll do the job even if I have to zip tie the compressor to the horn with a short length of tubing connecting the two. has anyone used the split variant successfully? It might even prove easier.

Peter

I ordered a Denali one piece horn, not the split variety as the advice seems to be that the Steibel lookalike Denali Soundbomb fits okay.

Sods law, been to the Post Office this morning to collect it and they've sent the split one that has the hose connecting compressor to horn.

I'm pretty sure it'll do the job even if I have to zip tie the compressor to the horn with a short length of tubing connecting the two. has anyone used the split variant successfully? It might even prove easier.

Peter
Bugger, drat, and bugger!

Taken the R/H tupperware off and found the convenient hole in the frame that needs to be drilled out to mount the Denali. All good. All straightforward.

Offered up the Soundbomb and it needs to be connected together to fit, a bit like making it a non split unit.

The only problem is that there is no room to do this AND connect the hose.

If only they had sent what I bloody well ordered. Bike apart until I get the correct unit.....

:mad:

I'm awaiting the correct, Delani Soundbomb horn arriving in a few days and I took the opportunity to wire up the supplies and relay. All done and functioning as checked out by multimeter.

Rather than use the existing horn wires to energise the relay I tapped off from them and left the original horn in place and working. It'll add another tone and will be a failsafe if the Delani should have any problems.

I stretched some cycle inner tube over the relay and zip tied it underneath the connections, around the wires. I plan on doing the same with the new horn compressor unit to keep any water out.

Peter

robertpage

TourMaster
Bike
2005 ST1300
Nice job! And the new horn isn't even installed yet. My kind of fastidious, aftermarket guy.
All the best,
Robert:bow1:

Thank you :) I completed the install with the correct, non split, Denali Soundbomb last night. It was straightforward and it really is amazing that the horn fits so neatly into the space with it's own mounting plate :)

Having the two horns together does work and is useful. The Soundbomb is much louder but the original horn still works because it's at a different pitch.

The original horn also comes in a split second before the compressor gets the Delani air horn working

Last edited:
2015-09-27 14.48.17.jpgAs I have all the plastics off for a few jobs I will be fitting my Stebel lookalike airhorn from Ringway Automotive as per the initial thread , using that available hole, and it should just about fit. What I have on my inner side cowl, and is not in any parts list or in the photos in this thread, is a plastic box with a flexible hose which just goes up behind the headlight unit. Any idea what this does apart from maybe directing cool air into the space behind the dash?

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Any idea what this does apart from maybe directing cool air into the space behind the dash?
Need more information: where does the flexible tube go? i.e., to or behind headlights, does it have an intake, any electrical connections, etc. Does it have a Honda Factory part number anywhere?

My guess is that a previous owner made a modification; purpose unknown.

No electrical connections on it. It`s positioned behind the grill that's already there in the side cowl and points upwards behind the headlights. Also not shown on any of the parts pictures that I have. It is an ex police bike so maybe something to do with that?

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
I've checked my US Service Manual version (it has a section for Police Motorcycles) and it doesn't show anything that looks like what you have. If you can, I'd see if there is a European service manual you could reference (assuming you haven't looked at one, already), or maybe check with the police service department that sold the bike to see what the modification is/was for.

Or, on the off chance, check with a motorcycle policeman. Maybe he knows :)

Top Bottom