Article [13] ST1300 - Stebel Horn Install

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
The clip works great. In fact it fooled my Labradors who tore off barking to see who's here!

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
I wanted to say thanks to Dano also, installed mine today just as he described. Worked out great.

I went to alot of trouble to get one of these installed in my (now gone) 03 vfr. I made a special bracket to allow it to be put in place of the original horn. It was a real bear. I took lots of pics and helped others to get it done on vfrd.

So I guess what goes around comes around. Thanks again Dano! I would have spent alot of time finding a good spot, but didn't have to this time!

STOC #
Horned

Hello Dano,

I've just installed my Stebel Compact in the location that you recommended. Man what a perfect location. I will be replacing the plastic tomorrow so I hope that none of the internal cowls hit the new horn.

I wanted to add that there were actually two holes in that bracket; one up high and the other down low nearer the level of the mirror. I used the lower hole and everything seemed to fit just fine. I mounted the relay on the bracket for the OEM horn and it worked out great so far.

Anyway, I would never have found this bracket if it weren't for your thread. Thanks very much for sharing your experience and helping me out.

David

Dano7572 said:
I just installed the compact Stebel horn on my ST1300 and it fits like a glove,
The hardest part of the install is removing the plastic. Once the mirror and side panel have been removed you will need to remove the bolts attaching the front panel.
I have the horn (removed it from my last bike) and would like very much to install it on the ST but I don't have a service manual (not in the budget at this time after gettting the ST and trying to keep gas in it) and can't figure out how to remove the right side plastic. Does anyone know of a place where I can find instruction on how to remove the plastic on the ST1300? How do the mirrors come off? Break-away mirrors....just give them a good handslap? Help out a poor newbie.

The mirror housing easily comes off by grabbing hold of the housing (but not the actual mirror) and pulling toward the front of the bike. It should come right off.

I found this out by accident while backing into the garage.

Haven't tried removing the plastic covers yet, but I'm sure there may already be threads on this topic.

Kurt

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
DataHawk said:
I have the horn (removed it from my last bike) and would like very much to install it on the ST but I don't have a service manual (not in the budget at this time after gettting the ST and trying to keep gas in it) and can't figure out how to remove the right side plastic. Does anyone know of a place where I can find instruction on how to remove the plastic on the ST1300? How do the mirrors come off? Break-away mirrors....just give them a good handslap? Help out a poor newbie.

A look at this Honda manual and parts catalog may help.

DataHawk said:
DataHawk:

Look in the ST1300 articles, Mods, quartet harness install (2nd document) from Honda. It documents how to remove body panels (left and right side are pretty much the same).

Good diagrams and shows the various rivets.

link here https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7714

this is the second pdf document

Last edited:
Bike
2014 BMW 1200 GSW
STOC #
I'm about to install my stebel horn and was wondering if I HAD to connect the power directly to the battery or can I draw power from my Blue Sea Power distribution box?
I was going to run the power back from the relay to the power dist. box in my tailsection and fuse that circuit with a 15 amp fuse.
Then I was going to ground to the frame at the front of the bike or where the OEM horn was grounded.
Will this work?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

SpEd

All Around Nice Guy!
STOC #
Which one to order?

STeve1300 said:
So, that means I can order either one, right? The one at Ca Sport Touring is the same as the one at Twisted Throttle?

I'm racking up some farkles for summer installation and while we've got the tupperware off, I'd like to take advantage and put a better horn on. I just want to make sure I get the right one. Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Well, I just received my Stebel horns from Calsport. I thought that they would take longer due to customs, etc. Now, the hard part. I will use all the information from this forum to install them I have to go out and buy some wire, etc, but hopefully, I'll get them installed by next week. Can't wait until I hear them, but it won't be in my garage!!!!:)

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
NBA336 said:
Well, I just received my Stebel horns from Calsport. I thought that they would take longer due to customs, etc. Now, the hard part. I will use all the information from this forum to install them I have to go out and buy some wire, etc, but hopefully, I'll get them installed by next week. Can't wait until I hear them, but it won't be in my garage!!!!:)
Don't honk in the garage without earplugs Barry :eek: :eek:
Out on the road you wont be disappointed

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
Assuming you got the Stebel horn, I used 18 GA stranded copper wire. The horn is a power hog. So 18 GA would be a good choice.
Wait until you hear that sucker!!! Better yet, wait until you get to use it on the first idiot that needs to be horned...:eek: :eek:

STOC #
The Stebel directions are calling for 2.5mm wire that is between 14/12 AWG. Wire Gauge Table
If you follow that link and scroll down it shows a Wire Gauge Selection Table. From that you could use 18awg up to 5' length or 16awg up to 10' length.

For those that are not familiar with wire gauges, wire gets thicker as the gauge numbers get lower.

Bike
2005 ST1300
newbornst1300 said:
Don't honk in the garage without earplugs Barry :eek: :eek:
Out on the road you wont be disappointed

Second that. Blowing the horn in the garage actually hurts. But it does make me laugh anyway:D

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
duffy05489 said:
Just got my horn. Any recommendations on the type or gauge wire to use in hooking this thing up?
The instructions that came in the box with my Stebel horn specified 12GA wire, so that's what I did.

duffy05489

VTrider
STOC #
The only thing that came with my horn was some very small wiring diagrams that are difficult to see. I know I can work my way thru this install, I just wish there were some more detailed instructions. anyway thanks for the advice on what gauge wire to use!:biker:

Top Bottom