Article [13] ST1300 - Stebel Horn Install

Bike
2006 ST1300
I bought the Denali split, thinking I could mount the compressor per Dano but place the horn part down where the original had been mounted. The idea was to have the horn point out the same opening as the original for better sound projection. I couldn't make it fit there, so I strapped it to the compressor with a wire tie.

Not as nice a mount, but still plenty loud. The first time I rode with it, I had two different incidents where cars started to move into my lane. It was nice to be able to honk them back where they belonged instead of just getting out of their way.

Last edited:
I apologise in advance if this is a really stupid question; but is there any reason why I can't install an ordinary car horn in place of the bike's original one? There are plenty of 12v car horns available online, and they appear to look similar to the one on the bike and simply have two terminals to connect to. I don't particularly want super loud air horns - just something rather better than the Honda's puny offering.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
It depends on the power requirements of the car horn as to whether it's a straight swap or a relay is required. But, otherwise, there's no reason why not provided it'll fit.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I tend to think that Honda just went cheap on the horn so they didn't have to wire another relay.

A low note FIAMM replaced my factory meeper and works fine without a relay. I've done this for years on a few Hondas that had inadequate horns. Sometimes I got around to install to installing a second one and then I included a relay.

One day I may get to installing some GoldWing horns with a relay. Loud enough and not shrill. I want to warn or salute others not panic them.

I want to warn or salute others not panic them
My sentiments too. (Although there are occasions when I'd like to kill them..........:D)

I feel reasonably confident doing minor mechanical work on the bike, but nervous about anything to do with electrics. How do I tell the power requirements for a car horn - and does anyone know what the power requirements are of the standard ST1300 horn?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You'd probably have to get an engineering data sheet to find any specs more than voltage and dB (if that) for a car horn. Third parties usually give both since the latter is a selling point. The same applies to the ST1300 horn. It sounds like it's powered by a single AAA battery.

You could put an ammeter in series with a horn to get an idea of its current draw in amps. Without a meter you could put a fuse in series with the horn. Does it pop a 5A or 10A fuse? You get the idea.

If I was going to install an OEM car horn a relay would be used. Any horn that has a big sound would probably make short work of the horn button since the ST doesn't have a horn relay. In my old car there was a fuse just for the horn circuit: 10A. But there was also a relay so I'm guessing horns (two) drew more. All just random supposition on my part and your dBs may vary.

Thanks for that. I was thinking maybe I could get away without installing a relay, but having read your reply I don't want to risk frying the wiring in the horn button. I'll have a rethink.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
An FYI: I think the ST has a 15A fuse for the horn and brake lights. You might get away with one horn if you're light on the thumb. The wiring is probably pretty safe since most people wouldn't lean on the horn long enough to fry it. The weak point is the horn button with it's contacts arcing with each application. High current big arc shortened life. I replaced a broken button one in my 750-4 and the contacts didn't look very stout. When I added a second horn a relay was added too.

Bike
‘19 Versys 650LT
STOC #
OK - I've got the horn installed just fine. Fits "like a glove" up behind the right mirror. But now I'm stymied on how and where to run the wiring from up front to the battery area. I've studied the pix posted, but can't seem to see where the wiring transits after leaving the right head area.

I've been trying all afternoon to find the "secret route" but unfortunately haven't pulled it together yet. I've lifted the tank, but that didn't help. There just doesn't seem to be an obvious way to get through that enclosed 6-8 inches toward the rear of the tank and around the frame. A previous owner routed a GPS harness through that area, but I can't imagine how he did it.

I'd sure appreciate some patient advice on how to go about this final step for installation. I've searched the tech forums, but haven't found any discussion on this particular issue.

(BTW, I have a Stebel on another bike and am anxious to get this one "up and running" ASAP! )

UPDATE: After closer examination, I was able to feed a thin stiff wire through the "channel" from the battery area to just above the right head. Then I pulled a single conductor for the hot side through that route. The rest was simple after that. Horn blows LOUD!!

Thanks for any help! This is a great on-line community and I look forward to much interaction with riders from all over!

Last edited:
Bike
2003 ST 1300
I don't know if this is still accurate, but a company named Eastern Beaver, owned by a Canadian living in Japan, made an upgraded wiring harness and relay for a Stebel install. I used several of them on my various bikes and appreciated the quality of the components and the assembly. I don't know how to link from this phone so Google is your friend.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
I don't know if this is still accurate, but a company named Eastern Beaver, owned by a Canadian living in Japan, made an upgraded wiring harness and relay for a Stebel install. I used several of them on my various bikes and appreciated the quality of the components and the assembly. I don't know how to link from this phone so Google is your friend.
Eastern Beaver no longer offers the Stebel Horn wiring for the ST1300. Here is Eastern Beavers website: http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
Yes but you can use the Eastern Beaver 30A Single Circuit Fusepanel Relay Kits - AP-1, Bluesea, etc. which will do the job for you. Just change the M5 Fuse Panel connectors to suit your horn.

It's on this page

motofisch

(Scott)
Bike
2006 ST1300
I completed the Stebel Nautilis horn install this weekend. This message thread was instrumental in making the process understandable and successful. I was pleasantly surprised to find how much room there was to install this horn behind the front panel. Now my ST honks with authority and the "meep meep" is gone. A big THANK YOU to all who provided photos and comments that made this job straightforward and relatively easy.

If you're still running the stock Honda "meeper" I highly recommend this inexpensive upgrade. No special tools are required and the results are significant.

Bike
Goldwing
I finished the Stebel Nautilis horn install today. not wanting to wait I used the big horn and had plenty of room for it....

Bike
2006 ST1300
Dano thanks for the write up and pics. You saved me hours to sorting this out! Should you find yourself in Philly please look me up, the cheesesteak and suds are on me!

I completed my Stebel horn install this weekend following Dano's directions and photos. It is loud and should be an attention getter if needed. I currently have the hot wire going to the positive terminal on the battery, but left enough wire to switch it to the starter relay if at some point I need room on the battery terminal. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread as I did use some of the tips and pointers contained herein.
Sincerely,
BR

Top Bottom