Article [13] ST1300 - Stebel Horn Install

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
duffy05489 said:
The only thing that came with my horn was some very small wiring diagrams that are difficult to see. I know I can work my way thru this install, I just wish there were some more detailed instructions. anyway thanks for the advice on what gauge wire to use!:biker:
There should have been a relay and some mounting hardware in there too. Is this a Stebel brand horn? I thought they all came with these parts?

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Guys what is the difference between the horns I saw on the Stebel site a horn that was a replacement horn (not air) but also the same rating as the air horn 139db ?:03biker:

STOC #
Well the air horn gives you both hi and lo range in a small compact package.

I installed the air horn just like the pictures on this site. Well worth the money and effort.

Greg, I got my braided sheath from Princess Auto, however, I'm not sure if you have an outlet where you live. It might be found at Cdn Tire or Walmart. I love the horns. I've had to use them twice already and they sure do get the cagers attention. Good luck.

Moto.Geek

Got Geek?
2 Different Stebel "Compact Nautilus" horns? Need to solder and other yucky stuff?

Hi, folks, I bit the bullet and bought what I thought was the correct "Stebel Compact Nautilus" from eBay at this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4649105693&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT

But it the exit part of the horn is splayed out horn style, and thus looks wider than the horn in the pics in this thread. Should I return mine and buy one from CA Sport Touring? It's for my '04 ST1300.

Second, am I the only one too chicken to deal with wiring these beasties? I mean, I have 14g wire (Monster Cable/XP), but no soldering iron, and don't know how to use one (no one ever showed me!) if I did. Basically I freak when dealing with bike electrics like this, but you're always afraid of what you don't know, right? :eek::

So, do I NEED to solder all wiring connections, like to the horn and relay?

And do I NEED the braided steel sheath, or will the plastic coating on the Monster cable suffice?

I REALLY want to hook these up, just didn't think it would be so damned involved. :eek:

TIA,

- MG

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
Hye motogeek,
well the pic is of a different one, but is that the one they will send to you? I guess there's a chance they will send the compact stebel as the title indicates?

No I dont think you have to worry abotu soldering etc. I know I haven't with the 2 I have installed. I did buy a very good crimping tool from an auto store. And I used dialectric grease at allt he connectiosn. But otherwise that was it, in way of complicated procedures.

Good luck with it, they are great to have :)

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Moto.Geek said:
Hi, folks, I bit the bullet and bought what I thought was the correct "Stebel Compact Nautilus" from eBay at this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4649105693&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT

But it the exit part of the horn is splayed out horn style, and thus looks wider than the horn in the pics in this thread. Should I return mine and buy one from CA Sport Touring? It's for my '04 ST1300.

Second, am I the only one too chicken to deal with wiring these beasties? I mean, I have 14g wire (Monster Cable/XP), but no soldering iron, and don't know how to use one (no one ever showed me!) if I did. Basically I freak when dealing with bike electrics like this, but you're always afraid of what you don't know, right? :eek::

So, do I NEED to solder all wiring connections, like to the horn and relay?

And do I NEED the braided steel sheath, or will the plastic coating on the Monster cable suffice?

I REALLY want to hook these up, just didn't think it would be so damned involved. :eek:

TIA,

- MG

I just used a cheap crimping tool and some crimp-on connectors that slide over the blade type lugs on the relay and the horn. Don't use that 14GA wire, the instructions that came with my horn called for 12GA.

You do need to specify the correct one. There are 2 type of compact horn and the difference is the trumpet as you have noticed. But it isnt a big deal. I bought the wrong one - with the sideways trumpets, and they are slightly too flared to allow the fairing panel to fit, but I just cut some of the trumpet off with a hacksaw. It isnt too drastic and allows fitment. Horn works superbly. Had to blast a woman on Friday as she swerved across lanes while talking on her mobile. She left the seat and I think banged her head on the car roof, although amazingly held onto her phone and kept talking, still at least she straightened up ! :03biker:

The horn relay has me buffaloed.

I have 4 leads

#30, 85,86.87

There are 2 horns on this setup but I don't think that is an issue here.

My problem is that the horns themselves have a ground wire and a hot lead.

The current wiring on the relay is to take the #85, &87 (2 white leads to the horns fused into a single wire) to the battery with a 30A fuse.

Then to take the #86 lead (red wire) to the horn button (problem is I have 2 leads to the horn button)

Then there is a green lead hooked to the #30 position on the relay that is connected to the 2 horns.

Lastly, the black lead on the horns is to be connected to the ground...

Something isn't right here and I don't want to fry the system.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Huh?:03biker: You really confused me with the last post mine went in very easy just followed the directions. The only problem I had was I guessed wrong on the hot/ground from the factory horn once I switched them WOW!

deanrd

06 ST1300a
Bike
06 ST1300a
Re: Braided casing

I've been to 4 different auto part suppliers, Wally World, Home Depot and even Best Buy looking for braided casing and its not to be found. I've searched the web, but can't seem to get the right verbage.

Please help with a direct link if you can.

Thanx - Dean

STOC #
Re: Braided casing

deanrd said:
I've been to 4 different auto part suppliers, Wally World, Home Depot and even Best Buy looking for braided casing and its not to be found. I've searched the web, but can't seem to get the right verbage.

Please help with a direct link if you can.

Thanx - Dean
Try searching for "Wire Loom"

I just used a spiral wrap on mine to keep the install neat.

STOC #
Re: Stebel Horn Install

Dano7572 said:
I haven't been on line for a while so sorry for the delayed response. I'll try to answer a few of the past questions.

1) I installed the compact Stebel horn just like the one in the previous link. I could have used a smaller bolt to attach the horn but I used the hardware that came with the horn.
2) I'm getting ready to tear off the plastic again to attempt a ccs-100 cruise control install ($27 at AutoZone) so I'll provide a few more pics on the braided insulating casing for my wires which I purchased at O'Rielly auto parts.
Dano :D
Dano,
Just wondering if you completed the CCS-100 Cruise Control install? How did it go? did you take pics like the horn install? I would like to install a cruise control myself if it is not to intensive.

Thanks.
Terry
"05" ST1300A

OP
OP
Dano7572

Dano7572

Dano757
Bike
ST1300
STOC #

Terry,
I go away for a little while and I have over 12,000 new posts but I did find this one.

I did finish my cruise control install and posted a few pics and a small write-up unfortunently my hard drive crashed and I lost most of my pics. The ones I still have are attached.
Dano

Attachments

Hi,

Regarding the Stebal compact wiring. Can some one clarify where the wires go to and from the relay, ie numbers. I'm using power from a fuse box and from the original horn wires. I wired it up today and just got a click from the unit.

Thanks in advance

Tony

STOC #

Hi,

Regarding the Stebal compact wiring. Can some one clarify where the wires go to and from the relay, ie numbers. I'm using power from a fuse box and from the original horn wires. I wired it up today and just got a click from the unit.

Thanks in advance

Tony
Tony,
I answered this in your original post...if you're using the fuse box wiring you might not have enough amps for the stebel to work properly. Most of us have run a wire direct to the battery to supply the required current.

I've just had to replace the relay to the Stebel after only a few (albeit winter) months of use. There are rust stains in the casing joint so I presume the internals have rusted away. Has anyone else had a relay fail so quick in this way? The relay is attached to the original horn mounting. If it happens again so quick I'll have to see if there is such a thing as a waterprrof relay (from a chandler?).

The only thing that came with my horn was some very small wiring diagrams that are difficult to see. I know I can work my way thru this install, I just wish there were some more detailed instructions. anyway thanks for the advice on what gauge wire to use!:biker:
I took my Stebel instructions, placed them on the copy machine, set the zoom level to 200% and made an 8? x 11 copy. Now my 57 year old eyes can read it.

Top Bottom