Garmin i5 - how to make routes

Bike
2005 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Guys,

Until now I have always been a paper map kind of guy. It is time for me to step up my game a bit.

I have just received a Garmin i5 and have the gizmo velcroed it to my bike. I did not get a manual with the unit. I have figured out the basics of loading addresses and finding where I am. So far so good, but now I am anxious to take the leap to the good stuff.

I want to load routes onto the unit from my computer but am not sure how to link the two contraptions. Is there a good way to load my routes from google maps or mapquest directly into the unit? Is there some sort of software I need to get? It is possible this model won't allow this process.

Any help or websites or links would be greatly appreciated. I have searched this forum and not found this info, but maybe I have missed some thing.

Thanks, it is time for me to go paperless like all of you!:bow1:

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
The I5 is a good unit... I still use mine in the car. ( bike has the 760 now)
I put the plastic disk over the center of the bars and suction it there.

One of the best things I liked about the i5 is that it works on 2AAs. You'll get about 5-6+ hours on the photo AAs and they are easily replaced anywhere. Rechargables also work well.

But what I find is the real use of the GPS is to locate the nearest gas, food, hotel, etc from where you are... The main route of travel I still print and usu know where I am heading anyway.

Top Bottom