Suggestions for Maryland to Oregon ride

Bike
07 Honda ST1300
Going to be riding the ST from Maryland to Oregon. :clap2: Any suggestions for the best roads to take? Or points of interest you shouldn't miss? Places to eat? Places to stay? Planning on doing a combination of motels and camping.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Here's a suggestion.
I-70 to I-74 to I-80 to I-84 takes you right to Oregon.
Only 4 route numbers to remember, don't even need GPS!:rolleyes:

If you give more info on what YOU want, might be better choices!
It's a pretty broad question as you have it stated.

DAS

STOC #
Yup, that's the fastest wya to get here - but the most boring and best suited for 18 wheelers. yuck. If you need to do it in 4 or 5 days but still want see decent motorcycle riding try this. 36 across the great plains - I've done 80 many times and maybe never again. head for loveland CO and go thru Rocky Mtn National Park. Then south on 40 over Berthod pass and west on 70. Take 6 over loveland pass. Turn north at Rifle and head over to US40, strawberry pass, heber City and then connect to 80 and 84. Depending on your destination out here you might turn off 84 at Ontario and take 20 thru John Day - much more fun than 84 and probably just as fast. Fun ride - have fun.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
You could do a lot worse than old US-50 all the way. Something to brag about, too.

Stop at Mimi's in Poncha Springs, CO if ya go that way. :D

50 has several good stretches, lots of good scenery. WV and Western CO are the best for fun roads. Middle of DC and a few other big cities to go around but nothing serious. A couple of short detours put ya on some really good roads.

Keep us poSTed.

OP
OP
moto_veto
Bike
07 Honda ST1300
Thanks for the tips. :D I guess I did leave it a little broad. I'll be going from Bel Air, MD to Pendleton, OR to visit my sister and her husband, who also ride. Once I get there we are planning on doing portions of the Oregon Pacific Coast and maybe Crater Lake.

Because of my time table, I would like to make it out there in 5-7 days, but should have more time to play with on the way back. I'm more interested in scenery, small towns and diners with good pie than I am with making good time, though.

I haven't really done any serious itinerary planning yet and have always been more of a follow-my-nose kind of guy, although I don't want to spend a whole day on the super slab only to find out I missed some real great POI's.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
There, that's what I was trying to get out of you!:D
My wife and I are leaving here 8/22 headed for Montana. Going to the UP of Michigan and then Rt. 2 the rest of the way, with a few side trips here and there. I figure that will put us in Montana in about 5 days, so Oregon in 7 should be easy. We only plan on the interstates on the way home. IF we come home!

Bike
'05 ST - R.I.P.
Thanks for the tips. :D ...Once I get there we are planning on doing portions of the Oregon Pacific Coast and maybe Crater Lake.
While in Oregon, definitely do not miss Crater Lake! Check the weather before you commit to the coast, though. The Oregon coast can be opressively foggy when the interior is hot, which obscures the spectacular scenery. Also, the Winnebago count goes waaaaay up along Hwy 101 in the summer, which can be frustrating along the 2-lane stretches.

One inland option is to meander North-South along the Cascades. From the Columbia River to Crater Lake, you can connect lesser-known state and Forest Service routes (all paved, all scenic) and never see so much as a traffic light, never touch a tire to the flatlands.

PM me if you might be interested, I'll try to steer you right. Enjoy the ride!

The routes only MapSource file is 3,173 KB. To large to post. E-mail me and I'll send it to you. I'm leaving on the 19th to do the trip. It would be best if you got back to me before then.

Len
lparkin@juno.com

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Here's one.... Take your time... stop often to see what is around you... Start AFTER daylight and stop BEFORE dusk... :D
:cool:

Don

Bike
'97 ST1100
You could do a lot worse than old US-50 all the way
+1 - If I was goiing west from Maryland it would be on Route 50, hands down

As a matter of fact, we're going from Biloxi to PA next spring and we're going north as quickly as possible just so we can catch route 50 east - The trip across West Virginia alone will convince you that you've made the right choice

If I'm in such a hurry that I've gotta stick to the Interstates, I'll just take the car. When we travel on the bike we always take the time to plot out 98% non-Interstate routes . . . . nothing is more boring that riding a bike down the superslabs

Don

Top Bottom