Hwy 421-The Snake, Western NC/TN

STOC #
I ran this again for the second time yesterday, wow what a nice road-I like it better than The Dragon. If you guys get an opportunity, you will want to try it. There are also some very nice roads surrounding it. It is outside Boone, NC, and runs into TN.

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
It's gotten to be one of our regular loops. We ride in that area at least once every six weeks. Glad you enjoyed it..:dr13::STOC:

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Been there, got the T-shirt and a burger. Great technical section of highway and not a bunch of traffic when we did it.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
I ran this again for the second time yesterday, wow what a nice road-I like it better than The Dragon. If you guys get an opportunity, you will want to try it. There are also some very nice roads surrounding it. It is outside Boone, NC, and runs into TN.
I did The Snake last year and too found it to be very enjoyable. IMHO the Snake and the Dragon are two different types of roads. On 421 you are traveling up one side of the mountain and then down the other which has the challenges of the elevation thrown in the mix with the twisties. The Dragon on the other hand is fairly much dealing with the curves. I traveled both roads on the weekday, so I had no problem with traffic.

I've been riding it since 2003 and you are right, it is a sweet road. There are many, many other roads in the area that are equal to or better than that one though. We go up there once a year for a XX Blackbird meet in June.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
3 times I have been on 421 it was raining cats and dogs in fog and the last time a tree was down across the road, in a steady rain, on the western side of Shady Valley near the top of the climb over the mountain. But that area, like from Shady Valley to Tazewell, VA to Galax is my favorite ride area.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
HONDAFAN - Shhhhhhh! Before it turns into another Dragon ... ;-) The little store at the corner of 421 and 133 has a great deli! And 133 ain't bad either!
Last time I was there (spring 08) cops were thick. One on the hill as I came down, another in the parking lot of the store. He hit me twice with KA; I pulled up next to his passenger window and asked him to give me another shot, I wasn't done yet.

He said they were there to save lives, didn't want it to become another Dragon. Not a bad goal, imo.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I know this is an old thread, but I'm a little confused as to which part of 421 is the snake. Which part is the must do part and which part is the snake? Mountain City west??? To??

Thanks

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
Hwy 421 east from Bristol through shady valley to Mountain City. Hwy 91 from shady valley toward Elizabethton. Hwy 133 from shady valley to Damascus Va. All these roads intersect at shady valley store.

Sent from my SGH-T589 using Tapatalk

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
My pleasure Chuck . We should ride it sometime when you come up.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I ran the Snake with blueSTormer, SteveST1300 and scubadave on Easter morning. It was in the 40's, brilliant sunshine and the road was ours. One of the most exhilarating rides ever.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
My pleasure Chuck . We should ride it sometime when you come up.

Linda and I should get to Moonshine Creek the evening of October 4th. That's a week before the BRG. We have a few things we want to do this time and the snake is one of them. We have no set schedule until the 10th when we have someone else coming up. Don't know what your schedule is but we would love to ride with you.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Wow! My opinion is quite different in that I thought it was kind of lame. Like the Dragon, the posted speed limit is 35 MPH ... and yes, the constables are nearly always present. Granted, one can be hard pressed to maintain 35 through some of those curves, but I prefer the more unknown 55 MPH twisties in the VA & WV hills. OTOH, I've been chosen to lead a group passing through TOTD and The Snake during Labor Day weekend. Go figure!

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
Wow! My opinion is quite different in that I thought it was kind of lame. Like the Dragon, the posted speed limit is 35 MPH ... and yes, the constables are nearly always present. Granted, one can be hard pressed to maintain 35 through some of those curves, but I prefer the more unknown 55 MPH twisties in the VA & WV hills. OTOH, I've been chosen to lead a group passing through TOTD and The Snake during Labor Day weekend. Go figure!
I've ridden both more times than I can count. I avoid both between Memorial day and Labor day. I last rode the Snake in early may and had a great time. No Leo's and great weather. I try to get there as early as possible as that seems to make a great difference. My favorite time for Deals Gap is March and November, Very few people few or no Leo's and the trees are bare. You can see a lot better. I'm fortunate enough to live near some really great roads that haven't been named by any folks with an "entrepreneurial spirit". YMMV

Last edited:

TinyL

Wingin It
Bike
2010 Wing
STOC #
I know this is an old thread, but I'm a little confused as to which part of 421 is the snake. Which part is the must do part and which part is the snake? Mountain City west??? To??

Thanks
And why would they call it the snake?
P1010846-L.jpg

When you see this your smack in the middle!
P1010824-L.jpg

East and West IMHO are the best rides. Came in from the South and it was pretty as well! Great part is the gas station...ride out and back on a leg...get something to drink....repeat on another leg until the last leg is the destination of your next stop.

Have fun!

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Hoping to ride that and others on my way to BRG....

sent by Droid using Tapatalk....

Top Bottom