Valve Stem failed with TireGard TPM installed

I recently purchased one of the TireGard tire pressure monitors for peace of mind - I have been chasing down a very slow leak on an "almost new" rear tire, and I hate having to replace it.

I even made an aluminum bracket to match the bracket for my AudioVox cruise control. The receiver is velcro'd on and the little key chain clips though a hole for safety:

Life was good - until I decided to hop on the freeway to run an errand. About 6-7 miles later, the front end just didn't feel right. I looked down at the TPM and the low pressure warning was being displayed for the front tire. That couldn't be right, it's the rear tire I am having problems with!

I pulled over and low and behold, the front tire is completely flat. Here are some pics after I got the bike back home:

In hindsight, I should have had the stems changed at the last tire change. This is an 05 that sat new in the box for two years until I bought it in Dec 07. Current mileage is around 19k

I still like the system, but I obviously need to change to a metal valve stem, preferably straight and not a 90.

Any recommendations?

Also I am going to go ahead and buy a new set of tires (front and rear). I am really sold on the BT020's primarily because even with a flat tire the bike is still manageable. I rode about a mile to get off the freeway. On my ST1100 I had both tires go completely flat on the freeways after I ran over an unseen object which actually bent the rims on both wheels! Do they BT021's still have a very stiff sidewall like the 020's?

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
That's one of the reasons I'm not groovin on the external tpms. The extra mass of the sensor on the rubber stem not designed for it ,and you have defeated the valve stem seal. I'd consider and internal sensor type with right angle stems. You dodged a bullet. Glad it didn't cause an accident.

Bike
GL1800 2015

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Tiny in Kansas has the same ones and they look the same too... You can get the angled stems they sell that will allow you to screw them on during a tire change so they are inside the tire... I would prefer this.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Tiny in Kansas has the same ones and they look the same too... You can get the angled stems they sell that will allow you to screw them on during a tire change so they are inside the tire... I would prefer this.
You have a link? I'm not picturing this very well.

Bike
FLHTCUI and ST
Cycle Gear has a tire sale on now.

They ordered BT020F's front and rear for me. Took two days. Local pick up.

Could be one near you too.

TinyL

Wingin It
Bike
2010 Wing
STOC #
Yikes,

I think I will install my metal valve stems pronto!! My rear stem is allready leaning over with the same system. :rd13:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Here's an interesting proposition:

If the sensors in the caps don't use the outside atmosphere as a reference (which would be easy to test), why not mount it inside the tire like the SmarTire sensors? It would be easy to build a small metal adapter that would have a hollow, threaded post that simulates a valve stem and a couple of tabs that would allow it to be lashed down to the wheel hub using a large-diameter hose clamp.

I probably just gave away a patentable idea, but I've done that hundreds of times already... :doh1:

--Mark

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
The SmartTire sensors are held in with "large diameter hose clamp."

Too late, again.

If you can figure how to use the Doran sensors with my Airete ninety degree stems, there's free pie available...

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The SmartTire sensors are held in with "large diameter hose clamp."

Too late, again.
Errr, the SmarTire sensors aren't held in with anything anymore since they no longer make 'em. I'm thinking more along the lines of something that you'd screw the Doran sensor onto and then mount like a SmarTire sensor.

--Mark

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Mark...easy...but not sure about the weight issue at time of balance...

Use a "long nut" (threaded rod connection), drilled so it has access to internal pressure. One end used at retainer of valve stem (of choice) and the other end with threaded hollow rod attached to sensor device. If would add a bit of weight...not sure how much. I'll build up a model and take a photo.

Forest

Raj_Zin

AKA Steve
Bike
FJR1300A
STOC #
...I'm thinking more along the lines of something that you'd screw the Doran sensor onto and then mount like a SmarTire sensor.

--Mark
The Doran kit comes with a pair of angled and a pair of straight valve stems that allow you to mount the sensors inside the tire, so this would seem to be unnecessary. Or am I misunderstanding what you're trying to accomplish?

-Steve

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The Doran sensors look similar to the tiregard.. wonder if you could get the valve stems from them and use the tiregards inside the tire....

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
The Doran kit comes with a pair of angled and a pair of straight valve stems that allow you to mount the sensors inside the tire, so this would seem to be unnecessary.-Steve
Yeah, but the Arietes look so cool... (They're a little lower profile, too, I believe.) The Doran kit looks good, though. Display hardwired to the bike, sensors much smaller (and apparently lighter) than the SmartTire. If my replacement SmartTire sensor doesn't work out, I'll probably be looking at the Doran.

TinyL

Wingin It
Bike
2010 Wing
STOC #
The tireguard sensors measure pressure by reading it through the valve stem. They keep the valve stem core compressed and would not work internally. I am now looking for a Doran or simular system. Must have waterproof display. The Cycle hill tire changer I just bought opened up a whole new set of possibilitys for me.

TinyL

:rd13:

Top Bottom