Valve Stem failed with TireGard TPM installed

RCS

Ariete from Kurveygirl in Black. Done, ordered, going into the "ST parts BIN" for the next tire change.

OP
OP
Tonight I was contacted by another motorcyclist that experienced a similar front tire valve stem failure at highway speeds. In talking with him, it appears that there have been more than just a couple of these failures and I sure would hate to see someone get seriously injured.

I went ahead and made a complaint at NHTSA, just to be on the safe side. Again, I really like the system, but metal valve stems should be required. I happened to see that Amazon.com was also selling the system and sure enough there was one review - and he mentions the rubber valve stem problem.

So, if you care to spend about 10 or 15 minutes, you can

File a Safety Complaint - NHTSA

Note for equipment information they want the make and model - I selected UNKNOWN for both and for Components I selected EQUIPMENT

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I know this is a really old thread but wouldn't the 90 deg metal stems (Ariete) withstand the loading of the TPMS?

I've got a set of these sitting in a box but don't want to install them if they are going to cause a flat!

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I know this is a really old thread but wouldn't the 90 deg metal stems (Ariete) withstand the loading of the TPMS?

I've got a set of these sitting in a box but don't want to install them if they are going to cause a flat!

Note the Doran 360M comes with both straight and 90 deg metal stems, although they look to be steel from the pics. So 90 deg metal stems are OK in that case.

I think the Ariete stems should be OK, if Ariete is similar in strength to those stems provided by Doran. But YMMV, as I have never done this. Also, some TPMS transmitters are larger (i.e. more massive) than others, and will put more strain on the stems. And please check clearance with brakes, etc.

Woodchuck

(Lyle)
Bike
2018 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I have the Garmin TPS and Garmin repeatedly says that the valve stems need to be changed to metal stems. I guess this is why. I switched mine to T stile stem so you don't need to remove the TPS to add air. Ill try and find the link.
https://cyclemax.com

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I recently bought a new-to-me motorcycle that had a vertical rubber valve stem on the rear rim. Any new motorcycle I own gets the aluminum 83 degree valve stems by Ariete or other supplier at the first tire change but this bike has relatively new tires that will hopefully give 5,000 or more miles before needing replacement. In order to install my TireGuard TPMS sensor and ride the tire out I sacrificed the top off a fat tip Sharpie magic marker to make a stand-off that holds the TPMS vertical and in column under centrifugal loads. It's just a tube of the correct ID and length to fit under the TPMS and over the valve stem. The Sharpie top was a lucky find but a piece of correct OD/ID PVC would also suffice. The sensor screws down tight against the tube and thus against the rim so the tube keeps the stem from bending or moving.

Attachments

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I imagine all the TMPS manufacturers advise using the external sensors on metal stems. That would be a word (or sentence) to the wise. I think the stand offs are a brilliant solution whether sticking with rubber or waiting to switch to metal.

Top Bottom