Article [13] ST1300 - Valve Clearance Worksheet

Harpo

Four Stars
Bike
Kawasaki VN800E
Re: ST1300-Valve Clearance Worksheet

Did mine today; your sheet was very helpful. Had better illustrations than the manual. Thanks for posting it.

Re: ST1300-Valve Clearance Worksheet

Well, I had put it off long enough. I bought my '04 ST last June with 16k miles on it, and I "assumed" the previous owner had the valve clearances checked. As I read many of the posts on this forum, it seemed like alot of folks were finding valves still in spec way past the 16k milemarker. Anyway, I decided to put my mind at ease and check the clearances, especially since I had over 29,000 miles on the odo. I found the job to be quite simple, especially since I was using this sweet worksheet. I am happy to report, all clearances were well within spec, and I don't need to make any adjustments this time around. I had a couple of intakes that were a "tight" .006, but a .005 slid right in very easily with no drag. All the exhausts were spot on .010, and a couple of them were "loose" .010s.
As usual, the worse part of the job was the tupperware. Thanks to all the great folks on this forum who post such great tips/tools!

Bike
2004 ST1300/XR650L
STOC #
Thanks for posting this sheet. I used it for a second time today and it makes it easier than having to find my place back in the manual for each step.I saved the sheet from my previous valve check and it was interesting to compare them.

Dennis

JimSTer

Motorcycle "rider"!!
Bike
15 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
I plan to do the valve check on my ST1300 just as soon as the snow starts to fly. I did my ST1100 last winter with the same kind of sheet.
Thanks a million for the great work.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
just saved it on file for printing later, my recently purchase 2007 ST1300 had only 9000 miles on it but the way I am putting miles on it the clearance check will be due at the end of the year. Thanks for letting me have this in pdf.

JimSTer

Motorcycle "rider"!!
Bike
15 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
I completed my valve check about two weeks ago. And I lucked out as all the valve clearances are still within spec.
I have been in on many conversations regarding the valve clearances on the ST1100 and ST1300. And this has always been a big concern of mine. I really don't want to have to repair the result of a valve that's two tight.

However in the Feb. issue of RIDER magazine and the TECH Q&A, the moderator Andy McDonald has taken a much looser view of the valve clearances.

Quote: "The clearance spec is .006 inch on the intakes, with .010 inch on the exhaust side plus or minus one thousandth. Honestly if it were my ST, I wouldn't sweat a tight clearance all the way down to .003 with the intakes and .006 on the exhausts. Any tighter and the cams would have to come out for thinner shims."

Who has read this this article. And I really would like to get some input from those that have had problems with the clearance.
Changing the shims on the ST1100 is certainly much easier than the ST1300. And likewise I'm not looking forward to changing them on my 1300.

Bike
2007 ST1300
When trying to download the "Valve Clearance Worksheet PDF" I get the message "The file is damaged and could not be repaired".

Does anyone know where I can down load this file?

TIA, Kevin

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I just used the link in the first post and it worked fine for me.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I tried to send the file but my email is apparently rejected by your email client.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Please give attribution to the creator of this terrific worksheet (and an ST1100 version too!): John Hudson, STOC 8086

I always like to give credit where credit's due.

John

Bike
2010 ST1300
I made up this worksheet to help me keep my valve clearances straight. The idea is to record the actual valve clearance in the little white box for each valve. Also at the bottom is a real quick review on the procedure.

Here is what it looks like (low res)

And here is a link to a better quality pdf file if you care to use it

Valve Clearance Worksheet pdf

[Attached a copy in case the original ever goes away. --The Mods]
Thank you so much for this work sheet. I do not know that I would have attempted to accomplish this task with out your worksheet.:bow1:

Bike
2005 ST1300A
Excellent piece of work. Thanks for putting it together. Valves will be checked in the next day or so whilst the forks are out and all the plastic-ware is off. I'll be interested to see how the clearances check out as I'm not sure that they've ever been done by previous owners. The bike is an '05 with 60000 miles on the clock.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Bringing an old thread back to life. Never having done one before, I was very fearful of doing the valve check myself, partially because my Haynes manual actually makes it look more daunting than it is. Watching the YouTube videos linked on this site, and then using this Worksheet made it all very easy, and what a great way to keep a record of the clearances for next time!

If anyone in the Calgary area is thinking about doing a valve check but is worried like I was, let me know and maybe I can come by to help (I've got the tools including torque wrenches).

Thanks again GitSum!

Thanks very much!

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
I have watched the you tube videos, now found this worksheet. I don't have the manual. I have the tupperware off, so now is as good a time as any to jump on and do the measurements. I think I will have to ask for help if any are out of spec. This worksheet has identified everything I need to feel somewhat confident to jump on and do this. Great job and thank OP very much for taking the time to do this. 90,000 on my 04 1300, I don't think mine were every checked. wish me luck!!

Top Bottom