Article [13] ST1300 - Valve Clearance Worksheet

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
I have watched the you tube videos, now found this worksheet. I don't have the manual. I have the tupperware off, so now is as good a time as any to jump on and do the measurements. I think I will have to ask for help if any are out of spec. This worksheet has identified everything I need to feel somewhat confident to jump on and do this. Great job and thank OP very much for taking the time to do this. 90,000 on my 04 1300, I don't think mine were every checked. wish me luck!!
No luck required. Follow the directions and ask questions as necessary. All will be well.

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
I have taken my ST13 further apart. Dwelling into the inners of her now. I am scared!!! I did ask a friend to come hold my hand and provide moral support while I checked my valves. I had hoped they would all be in spec, no luck. All my exhaust valves are out, and need new shims. All intakes are within spec. I have the easy left cam chain tensioner removed, left outter cam out of the way, but first put tie wrap from chain to gear, so I would not mess up timing. I had to do more reading and searching before I learned how to release the right side cam chain tensioner. I know the procedure now, but don't have a screwdriver long enough to get down all the way and turn that darn screw. I will purchase or make one tonight. I am all alone tonight, to release the right side tensioner, then move cam and finally lift the buckets up out of the way to find the little nuggets below. My children's suction darts worked perfectly to lift the buckets off. I am taking my time, and really enjoying this learning process. Problem is, my bike has been apart for 2 weeks now and it's 20 degrees in Newfoundland today. This is riding time.. I was silly not to do this over our 6 months of winter. Lesson learned for next time. I really should do a throttle body sync, but bike is running fine, or at least it was before I starting taking it apart!!! Perhaps I will do that next winter.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Way to go Rob. :yes:

There will be a long moment when you hesitate pressing that starter button after you've reassembled it and want to start it for the first time... :)

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
I know the procedure now, but don't have a screwdriver long enough to get down all the way and turn that darn screw.
Also, be sure to have a pair of Vise Grips, or similar, to hold the screw driver in place. It really makes a difference. You can wedge the Vise Grips in place so that the screw driver doesn't unwind and release the slack.

Top Bottom