Brainstorming a homemade MC Camper...

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I have been tossing around the idea of making a cargo trailer for my bike that is long enough to slip into and sleep if needed. Who knows if I ever decide it to be feasible to build, but the planning sure is fun.

The Problem: Its been a rainy year, and that has caused problems for camping because setting up tents in the rain stinks. And packing up sandy-wet tents is no fun either. Sometimes you just want to jump in a bed and sleep, and not spend a ton of time getting ready to go the next day. A hotel room can solve all this, but that can get pricey when its just you, and all you need is just a place to lay your head.

Also there have been times I have been riding and despite getting plenty of sleep, got really tired. Something I could jump into for a catnap at a Walmart or rest stop would be handy when I eventually go coast to coast sometime soon.

I got my itch when I saw this image.

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/05/17/cyclist-takes-bed-along-in-homemade-trailer/

Seems bicycle trailers got a lot of press back when times were tough.

It looked like just about what I needed. It would solve the majority of my tent complaints except there is no place to slip off wet suits before hopping into a dry sleeping bag.

My original thought was make it a little modern by getting a cheap trailer and mounting Thule's largest cargo box onto it, it would be a low ceiling but i would fit with room to roll over.

If I were to do this, I would need an active air exchange, and there would be minimal weight, but minimal room for customization as well.

I could add a rain-fly like the slipstream to the Thule.

But If I am going to make a camper, I want solid walls like a regular DRY camper.

There is a guy who built a ultralight bicycle camper for burningman using 1/4" fluted plastic like whats used for election signs. I like the design a lot but would have to do it quite a bit differently to allow it to withstand highway speeds and be water tight.
I really admire all the little cool things he did inside, and it gave me a lot of ideas.

If I were to build a slipstream shaped (or teardrop) cabin a little wider and taller than a Thule cargo box, I would have the space I need to slip out of wet stuff inside without soaking the bed. Or I could just possibly find a light plastic cargo box already out there somewhere that meets my needs for interior space without much modding.

I will probably add as I try to narrow down what it is I really want, and is it worth the expense of additional weight, money, and mpg. Feel free to chime in on my brainstorming.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I have been thinking the same thing..... If I go thru with it I am going the tear drop route. Homemade from the frame up would be the plan.... I think I could get it done under 500lbs total.

OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Instant pull along bed

http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/models/rascal/

theres a template for you..

Camping World has a line of small trailers.
Thanks, I've seen it around (see the last photo in the 1st post) but never found photos of inside. Good idea material.

Interesting idea Mike. I too have been thinking of a solo camper.

Of course, yours would need to be rugged enough for off-road use, eh? ;)
Would need a PTO for dear Old Groton Peachem Rd.

reminds me of towing a coffin???

bad karma...I know! How about a tent??
+1.... What's wrong with a tent? With a cargo trailer made out of that thing, you could bring a really big tent!!! :D
:cool:
A coffin is how I describe it sometimes, but when I do, people turn away from the idea for some reason. I currently do tent, but I explain how I am trying to avoid the hassles of tenting like setting up in the rain, time it takes to set up and break down camp, and being able to cat nap at rest stops on long trips if needed.

I have been thinking the same thing..... If I go thru with it I am going the tear drop route. Homemade from the frame up would be the plan.... I think I could get it done under 500lbs total.
The fluted plastic and a pine frame would make for a super light camper. Probably would go through multiple versions until I found the best shape for behind an ST with highway headwinds. I could even use frosted plexi or lexan for the walls that take the most abuse just so it will hold up like a champ.

OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Attached image is of the Little Guy 4wide (economy)

If I could build the enclosure to just a little smaller than this I could sleep on one side and change/dry on the other, this would solve the getting into bed wet issues.

If I did not mind the weight, I would just pick up a used "Little Guy" But I think I might be happier with a ultralight custom. There's a lot of satisfaction in knowing you did it yourself, even if it does not look as professional.

If I could find some pre-made enclosure this size in a light thin plastic (like a cargo carrier), it definitely would look a lot more professional than building the frame from scratch myself.

Attachments

OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Man! $5,500.00 US!! That'll buy you a lot of Motel rooms for the days its raining; tent the rest of the time??
JD
I could never pay that much for a trailer. =-) If I could find a banged up one for 1K I might consider it but I really don't like the weight. I guess I should think of a realistic budget for this project, because you have a excellent point where there is a line where its cheaper to just tent if its nice and hotel when its raining.

How about a Lees-ure Lite Camper ?

255 lbs, a stand up area for changing, big enough for two, fast & easy set up.
I love those campers, but I don't think you can sneak a nap at a rest stop in a pop-up camper, anyone know the ruling on that? If so I think it would be cheaper to build one of those as well using a lightweight trailer, and a 1-man flip shelter.

I just came across a trailer that looks more like what I am envisioning. A large plastic container on wheels. Its 480lb, which is lighter than the "little guy", but I think I can go much lighter (and less expensive). http://www.letsgoaero.com/ProductDetail.asp?Pid=64

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
Hmmmm, pullin a trailer made by a pro is kinda dangerous, so I'm thinking one made by a amateur might be even more so. Who ya gonna get to do the first test ride?? LOL

There's a reason Honda discourages their bikes from being used a tow vehicles. I've never pulled one, but to say you don't know its back there is just not true. We had a guy on ST owners that pulled a homemade trailer all over the USA till one day he hit the brakes hard and went down putting him and his wife both in the trauma room with a 100k bill when it was over. (he had no insurance but thats another topic) After healing up, he said he would never get back on a bike again, because he had no idea why he went down and how to prevent it from happening again. He refused to blame on it on his trailer.
:tc1:

OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I appreciate you 2cents Bama. I am still weighing all the facts and safety is above all most important! I would hope that following all the rules (toung weight, balance, low drag) and keeping the total weight as light as humanly possible should help in the event of an emergency breaking situation.

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
Well Guy, I suppose all those folks that successfully tow a cargo or camper trailer many thousands of miles every year might have a different opinion. MotoMac pulls a heavy Bunkhouse camper two up. Lots of riders pull a Uni-Go. Gene & H2Orider pull home made cargo trailers without any trouble. I'm sure you've seen a lot of bikes pulling trailers on your extensive travels. I am thinking the number of accidents caused or resulting because of trailer pulling is a small percentage of all accidents.

edit to add- I also am willing to bet bike mfg's discourage towing trailers for liability issues, just like all other mfg's limit their own liability in a litigation happy society.
I have seen a lot of guys pulling trailers. So its your opin that pullin a trailer with a ST does NOT alter the dynamics, geometry or physics of the bike?

I also am willing to bet bike mfg's discourage towing trailers for liability issues
And could it be because they didn't design the bike for such duty? I'm thinkin if they could make a buck off making the trailers, they'd do it, but so far ain't figured out how to pull one safely.

Motomac- you pullin a trailer when ya crashed in Ar-Kansas?

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
No. I haven't pulled one yet. But I'm not willing to take a few incidents as proof that it is inherently too dangerous or risky compared to the millions of miles traveled by those that have not had any accidents caused as a result of pulling a trailer.
So this means it does add risk, but not enough to worrry about?

Look I dunno, never pulled one, don't plan to. But I see all kinds of potential problems.

-What about passing a long line of cars, or worse, 18 wheelers? I'm thinkin pullin a trailer you gotta take that play outta the book.

-My 1300 is squrielly enough in gusty winds, I can't imagine adding a trailer in the mix and top box.

-Parking?

Look here, y'all are free to do whatever, but its safe to say some guys have crashed that otherwise wouldn't have, because of a trailer. What the numbers are I couldn't tell ya. I don't need to add anything to increase my odds, but hey thats just me.

Bike
DL1000
warmace, if you might want to try this topic over on http://www.motocampers.com/ if you haven't already.

I have had similar thoughts as you but I was thinking more on the lines of a pop-up section that would allow me to stand to change when I needed that space.

Hope this helps.

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
I 'spose towing a car with a bike is out of the question then....

LOL well I dunno, its prolly more stable then some of the contraptions I've come across out on the road.

Can you imagine the strain on that GL's transmission?

I have had similar thoughts as you but I was thinking more on the lines of a pop-up section that would allow me to stand to change when I needed that space.
So how come y'all don't like to lay down to put your pants on??

OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Let me give the weight of the trailer and contents that I towed to Ct and Ny for events .
Trailer empty 27#
Trailer with load for two up camping 65# total
Tongue 20 # total

I got to amit the only time I really noticed it back there was at speeds below 5-10 mph, and loaded the way it was the bike topbox and side cases were basicly empty so it handled better than when loaded up for 2-up camping with the bike crammed full in every concievable space , all that weight was relocated to the axle height on the trailer and the tongue weight was next to nothing .

OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Wow, 65lbs loaded is super light, is this a homemade trailer? Link?

Is 0 ideal tongue weight? I thought you would want a couple lbs on it to help with rear tire breaking.

Here is my current mental image of the trailer.

1st Reproduce this trailer except with torsion bar suspension. About 65lbs

2nd add a Thule Atlantis 2100 (or similar cargo carrier) This will be sufficient space for sleeping, but not for changing, reading. 82 x 25 x 17 inches +36lbs (before hardware removed)

Raise the high by adding a spacer wall all around the container where the upper and lower shell meet.

This will have similar inside space to a "little guy" but I am predicting 1/3 the weight. I could go lighter on the trailer, but I am considering using it to tow dad's Honda Dream (326lb dry (391lb with trailer)) from NH to Americade and back.

Chet Jr. would be proud.

Top Bottom