ST1300 LCD Panel Fix

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I did they same thing the guys on this thread did. the LEDs were 3 bucks on ebay.
So where do we learn to re-solder SMD leds? Any u-tube videos for starters? I have no fear of pulling the dash or cracking the case,even removing and resetting the needles. But never tried to solder an SMD.

Bike
ST1300
Here's the Lightenupgrade LED kit:

LINKY

And the instructions...

[video=youtube;3NG47Cnzbhc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NG47Cnzbhc[/video]

And here's Nosegear's team at work, I guess :)

[video=youtube;ATWoTmuxY2w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATWoTmuxY2w[/video]

Last edited:
Bike
05 ST1300A
If anyone heading to or from WeSTOC, and wants to do this, let me know. The 3 bucks was for 100 white, 100 blue and 100 red, so I have plenty of LEDs left and it is a pretty quick mod. I live in the South West part of Denver.

David

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
Anyone have a photo of the blue gauges reverse LCD for the side in daylight. I am interested in doing the conversion but the reverse LCD option almost doubles the price but I like the look much better from the photos, would like to see a real life day and night photo.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Anyone have a photo of the blue gauges reverse LCD for the side in daylight. I am interested in doing the conversion but the reverse LCD option almost doubles the price but I like the look much better from the photos, would like to see a real life day and night photo.
Here's a picture in the dark (see picture #4) https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?68270-Fruth-Gear-Position-Indicator-Install&highlight=Bluegauges:

Here's another one (see post #10, picture #1): https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?69567-The-04-lives-!&highlight=Bluegauges

This is closer to what you're asking for: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?73406-ST1300-LCD-Panel-Fix

Last edited:
We're now doing something similar in the Netherlands. BlueGauges is well known, but the price is somewhat firm and the shipping back and forth between Europe and the States adds another $100. Plus the risk of losing a shipment, leaving you with an ST1300 and no cockpit . . We started this little project 2 months ago with a spare cockpit to experiment on, and we now have the first 2 bikes upgraded and 2 Cockpit Conversion Days (CCDs) planned! :) Most people opt for blue LEDs behind the gauges, and white behind the LCD. The improvement in contrast is quite staggering!
Hi

I'm in Southern England and would love to get my clocks done. Where would I have to ride (and when)?

Regards Giles

Bike
ST1300
Hi all. Sorry to 'necrobump' an old thread, but I just wondered if anyone could provide the dimensions of the LEDs in the ST1300 dash (as they are from stock).

Bike
Blue 04 ST
We're now doing something similar in the Netherlands. BlueGauges is well known, but the price is somewhat firm and the shipping back and forth between Europe and the States adds another $100. Plus the risk of losing a shipment, leaving you with an ST1300 and no cockpit . . We started this little project 2 months ago with a spare cockpit to experiment on, and we now have the first 2 bikes upgraded and 2 Cockpit Conversion Days (CCDs) planned! :) Most people opt for blue LEDs behind the gauges, and white behind the LCD. The improvement in contrast is quite staggering!
It might be my eyes but I went with all blue and during the day I see purple . Scott said nobody else has said this in the past.

Bike
Blue 04 ST
Hi all. Sorry to 'necrobump' an old thread, but I just wondered if anyone could provide the dimensions of the LEDs in the ST1300 dash (as they are from stock).
Yes the Dutch guy should tell us what size the LEDs are ?

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I never use the worthless speedo so, I don't really care if I can read it. Zumo for me on correct speed.
I got sick of the useless Speedo, so installed the SpeedoHealer. Speedo is now spot on, relative to my GPS.
Mileage however, is off by 7% now, but I can live with that.

Very nice to have a useable Speedo, the GPS wasn't always easily readable, mostly due to the sun.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Mileage however, is off by 7% now, but I can live with that.
When you say this, do you mean the speedo healer fixed the needle indicator, but does not have any effect on the odometer? If thats the case I would think the MPG readout would be off still as well?

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
When you say this, do you mean the speedo healer fixed the needle indicator, but does not have any effect on the odometer? If thats the case I would think the MPG readout would be off still as well?
The SpeedoHealer puts in whatever correction you set - to the whole speedometer.
So yes, MPG and Odometer are affected.
In my case, I needed about -7% to correct the needle, and this makes the mileage readouts read low by about 6%.
So I have to remember to add that percentage in order to know the true miles on the bike.

I just got fed up with having a useless Speedo, and willing to live with the ODO & MPG errors.

My bike has the speedo healer, and it has 7 percent MOL mileage deficiencies. My problem, or dislike, is my gas mileage average system is in left field, lost and no plan to return. If its says I am averaging 34 (+7% or36.3) mpg I am closer to 42-43. My calculated averages by gps miles/gallons is averaging 39-43 at hway speeds. (70-80mph) I could see the 7% from pulse count issue and speedo healer, but the remaining 15% is confusing.
So the question is how accurate was the averaging in the first place? I run a program for speed, distance, ET, so mileage accuracy would be more important then MPH accuracy. I would remove the speedo healer IF I could get accurate mileage. Opinions on MPG averaging system.

Bike
'16 or '08 Goldwing
My displayed average MPG on my ST1300 has always been about 3 MPG low, compared to calculating by hand (using ODO and actual gas put in the tank at a refill). Using the manual method, I get slightly less than you do at those speeds, but I have a Cal-Sci large aftermarket windshield, and I ride with it up pretty high most of the time.
I notice a BIG improvement in mileage (looking at the instantaneous readout as I'm riding) when I drop the shield to its lowest position. But, I don't keep it down there long enough to get a calculated mileage from a tankful. Hope that helps.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Unlike most I have always found my fuel computer to be accurate. I have a stock speedometer/odometer set-up with no compensation. I usually check the average reported at the end of the riding season before it gets zeroed when I take the battery out. When I check it I am seeing the average for that entire riding season. Over the last 46,462 miles my fuel computer has always reported an overall average of 19 km per litre of fuel used (44.6 miles per US gallon.) My actual calculated over the same period and mileage is 19.7 km per litre of fuel used (46.3 miles per us gallon). A difference of only 0.7 or about 3.5%. I don't record this reading. I only look at it once or twice a year so I don't know and can't remember if the computer average displays tenths or not. So if the computer doesn't display tenths for the average reading and is rounding up/down the difference is potentially is even less.

Top Bottom