ST1300 LCD Panel Fix

Bike
ST1300
The part that's removed from the bike is everything from the headlight-height-switch-knob (?) on the left including the gauges all the way through to the Pan European logo (in the States I believe it's an ST1300 logo) on the right. That whole part goes to the techie, who removes the screws from the back (quite a few, actually!), removes the rear cover, disconnects the headlight knob cabling and the cabling to the annunciator panel on the right and then removes the gauges panel.

The gauges section is quite fragile in this state and needs to be handled carefully. The needles are removed, 4 little black screws undone and the black dials come off. The light spreaders underneath have to be removed inc. the HISS LED and then the actual (de)soldering process can begin.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
T_C and Ng, thanks! This is clearly not a DIY project for me.

Well removing the dash maybe.

Bike
ST1300
I suppose those BlueGauges guys know what they're doing - just drop them a line or 2! It DOES add to your Pan, for sure.

Bike
ST1300
For our Pan-riding friends from abroad, I'm quite sure we can make that arrangement. I'll toss it in the group, but I'm quite confident we can make you drive off with a blue-lit smile from ear to ear!

If you can toss me a PM with dates, # of bikes and such I can see what we can do for you.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100 '90
That's already on the right, near the Pan European logo
Like this one (this is an other dash)

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
Last Saturday we had the first of 2 planned CCDs (Cockpit Conversion Days). 8 ST1300's had their dashboard LEDs changed into blue & white, and 8 riders needed minor medical attention afterwards because of overstretched corners of their mouths! :)

One of us all of a sudden had the idea to remove the red paint of the indicator needles and spray them white. We happen to have a genuine airbrush genius in our ranks, and spraying those needles white is something he can do blindfolded with one arm tied behind his back. So by day my dash now looks pretty much like the one in the photos above (minus those direction indicator LEDs, that's another 1300): bright white needles on the regular white & grey gauges.
By night however the real magic happens and the gauges turn blue with red needles - really, really great!!! Quite sure mine's one of only 3 ST1300 in the world who have that right now <ggg>.

Besides that a number of gear indicators were installed (for the 1300's in the little annunciator panel on the right, just above the Pan European (or ST1300) logo). The clear lenses for the 1100 also proved to be popular, quite a few switchback LED kits were installed as well as 5 booster plugs. Top day, lots of high-level farkling going on!

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
Last Saturday we had the first of 2 planned CCDs (Cockpit Conversion Days). 8 ST1300's had their dashboard LEDs changed into blue & white, and 8 riders needed minor medical attention afterwards because of overstretched corners of their mouths! :)

One of us all of a sudden had the idea to remove the red paint of the indicator needles and spray them white. We happen to have a genuine airbrush genius in our ranks, and spraying those needles white is something he can do blindfolded with one arm tied behind his back. So by day my dash now looks pretty much like the one in the photos above (minus those direction indicator LEDs, that's another 1300): bright white needles on the regular white & grey gauges.
By night however the real magic happens and the gauges turn blue with red needles - really, really great!!! Quite sure mine's one of only 3 ST1300 in the world who have that right now <ggg>.

Besides that a number of gear indicators were installed (for the 1300's in the little annunciator panel on the right, just above the Pan European (or ST1300) logo). The clear lenses for the 1100 also proved to be popular, quite a few switchback LED kits were installed as well as 5 booster plugs. Top day, lots of high-level farkling going on!
Hi Nosegear, I won't be able to get over to a CCD, but is there a chance I could send you my dashboard and get the LEDs changed and a gear indicator installed? I have just scored a cheap spare dash from eBay, which I can install while mine is converted. Payment could be Paypal or bank transfer maybe?

Bike
ST1300
Tricky, but not impossible. The gear indicator needs to learn your bike's gear ratios (which is a tad challenging if your bike isn't there - but you can do that yourself). However, the needles need to be taken off their axes in order to access the LEDs. Though we take every effort to get them back exactly where they came from, it's not an exact science yet. Without the bike, we cannot verify the position is correct.

We haven't done a single one without the bike being there.

Bike
ST1300
Tricky, but not impossible. The gear indicator needs to learn your bike's gear ratios (which is a tad challenging if your bike isn't there - but you can do that yourself).
Sure, no problem - you will send instructions, yes?

However, the needles need to be taken off their axes in order to access the LEDs. Though we take every effort to get them back exactly where they came from, it's not an exact science yet. Without the bike, we cannot verify the position is correct.
What do you do if you have the bike? For example, do you need to calibrate the speedo vs a satnav and the rev-counter vs. an external one? If you send instructions, I'll be happy to have a go.

We haven't done a single one without the bike being there.
Other places manage it, e.g. Bluegauges.com in the US. Happy to be the guinea-pig :)

Let me know how much (OK to pay up-front) and where to send and we'll take it from there if you are willing to have a go?

Cheers,
Ian

Bike
ST1300
Calibrating the gear indicator is indeed not so complex, and we can provide you with the required instructions to calibrate it yourself. However, to calibrate the speedo the needle (which is quite fragile!) needs to be repositioned on its axis. This is very delicate, and we use special clock makers tools to pull that needle and reseat it. It will probably be set back on the right position (we're getting the hang of it after some 30 BluDashes), but you can only know for sure once you ride the bike & see the indicated speed. Making corrections means pulling the dash again, opening it, pulling the needle & reseating it, then ride again . . I wouldn't recommend doing that yourself unless you're very sure you can - but then you'd also already be close to replacing those LEDs yourself!

Resuming: I'd be very hesitant to do this operation if the bike wasn't around to test with, and as the bike owner I'd be unhappy having a bike sitting there without a dash. Also please bear in mind that all the risk is 100% yours to bear, as we're only a group of ST-enthusiasts connected via our Dutch forum, not a professional company. No insurances, chances of your package getting lost in transit, no warrantees other than that we'll try our best . .The BluDash team isn't too enthusiastic about the idea of not having the bike around either!

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
OK, I understand your discomfort, thanks for sounding out possibilities.

There's a guy over here ("Lightenupgrade") who advertises the LED replacement service (I'll ask him how he gets the speedo needle back), and I can mount a GIPro DS on the front of the dash.

When I go for it (with the ?30 spare dash from eBay), I'll report back. :capwin:

Last edited:
Bike
05 ST1300A
The white is really nice. Did you just airbrush the top of the needle with white and leave the underside the red and white? I really like the idea of white during the day and red at night.

Please give some detail on how you did it.

Thanks
David

Bike
05 ST1300A
I figured it out. I really like the look of my panel now. At $3.00 it was a lot less expensive the blueguage and only took me about 2 hours. So now there is one across the pond that has the day: White/Black night: red/Blue and all the time an LCD that can be read in direct sunlight with my visor down and polarized sunglasses on.

Thank for the insight
David

Top Bottom