Article [13] ST1300 - Odyssey PC545 installation

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Odyssey PC545 Battery Installation using the HBH ST1300P Mounting Kit

I've experienced two Yuasa battery shortcomings, and without going into the details about those, I decided I would go the extra mile, and install an Odyssey PC545 battery. This is the same battery which a few police forces have opted to install in their ST1300P motorcycles because of the electrical demands placed on their machines from various lights and sound-makers which are not standard equipment on regular ST1300 models.

NOTE - Because all ST1300P bikes are equipped with ABS, the HBH mounting kit is designed to fit only ABS equipped ST1300 models. The HBH battery strap gets bolted to the rear ABS modulator. I am not familiar with the non-ABS bikes, and cannot say whether or not an attachment point could be easily fabricated, though I imagine it couldn't be too difficult. The photos below may provide enough information for owners of non-ABS models to draw their own conclusions.

This first photo below shows the two-piece mounting kit I purchased from HBH (HBH = Huntington Beach Honda) on the left, and the Odyssey PC545 I purchased from BatteriesPlus in Newport News, VA. Call Cameron Hunter of HBH at 714-842-5533 or find them online at www.hbhonda.com part number 1300-BATT, if you wish to obtain this mounting kit. To the best of my knowledge, HBH is the only source for them.

The HBH battery tray is a welded aluminum piece which had a sanded finish. The steel retaining strap arrived with a black painted finish. The HBH pieces displayed quality workmanship, fit, form, and function. EDIT TO ADD: The HBH kit arrived with no instructions whatsoever.

Here's a photo that may give some idea to the size difference between the Yuasa and Odyssey. Depth is about the same, but the Odyssey is a bit taller, and quite a bit longer.

This next photo shows my OEM battery location before I removed the Yuasa. There are three wiring items shown here which are not stock. First are the two wires within the corrugated loom cover on the left which lead to an accessory fuse block located in the rear of the bike. Second is the Battery Tender harness with the plug connection tie-wrapped to the OEM battery cover in the lower-right corner. And third is an extra ground cable running from the battery to the chassis beneath the saddle.

After disconnecting and removing the Yuasa battery, the next step is to remove the steel bracket from beneath the OEM battery box. This bracket supports the weight of the battery while the plastic box does little more than restrict longitudinal and transverse movement, and provide splash protection from the rear tire. The machine screw in the bottom of OEM battery box requires a 5mm Allen? wrench while a 10mm socket will loosen the two bolts from the inboard side of the bracket. No fasteners were provided with the HBH kit, so the two OEM bracket bolts will be used to attach the HBH battery tray.

After the OEM support bracket is removed, the HBH battery tray can be temporarily bolted in place. With the HBH tray in position, layout lines were eye-balled and transferred to the OEM battery box for trimming. In the following photo, the HBH tray has already been removed, and the masking tape I used to layout my cutting lines (red arrows) remains.

Most of the trimming was accomplished with a 32-TPI hacksaw blade held in a gloved hand, and some of the cuts were done with tin-snips. After the "first round" of trimming, the HBH tray was reinstalled for test fitting the Odyssey battery. Note that one must recycle the OEM bracket bolts in order to mount this tray.

A "second round" of trimming saw this section of the OEM battery box falling to the tin-snips.

The Odyssey has landed. Note that the PC545 is installed with the negative (ground) terminal to the bottom. The terminal is uncomfortably close to the aluminum mounting tray to allow positioning the positive terminal at the bottom.

The photo below shows another fastener being recycled. This bolt came from the OEM battery strap, and is being used again for strap-duty. The bolt attaches the HBH battery strap to an unused tapped hole in the rear ABS brake modulator. Yes, that means the strap fits only ABS-equipped models of the ST1300. Owners of non-ABS models may be able to fabricate a different attachment point.

The second attachment requires that the installer drill a hole in the OEM battery box, and provide his own fastener. I used a 6mm x 35mm long bolt, a fender-washer on the plastic side, a standard flat washer on the near side against the steel strap, a standard 6mm nut, and a self-locking 6mm nut ... all made of stainless steel.

After trimming the OEM battery tray, it becomes evident that a considerable amount of road wash and debris would have instant access to the battery area from the rear tire. A piece of sheet rubber (this piece is 3/32" thick) was fitted with a single pop-rivet to serve as a splash screen, and hopefully keep debris collection to a minimum.

Fitting, trimming, and physically mounting the battery in its new tray was relatively easy in comparison to the electrical work I encountered. Ground cables did not need to be lengthened, but getting them attached to the battery with an Allen? head machine screw was testing my patience. I eventually cut a longer 6mm bolt and used the threaded portion as a stud which was securely installed in the battery's negative terminal. Then it was fairly easy to attach cables using a nut, which in turn was secured with a self-locking nut ... once again, all made of stainless steel.

The positive cable needed to be longer than the OEM harness would allow. I had anticipated this, and purchased a length of small battery cable before the installation began. Dis-assembling the Honda cable connectors brought a pleasant surprise ... they were soldered. And though it made for more work to get them apart, I appreciate that connection method over a simple crimped connection. Likewise, when I assembled the longer harness, I also soldered the connections. I had to use a small torch for soldering because the connectors had too much mass for my electric soldering gun to be effective. Here's a photo roughly illustrating my final wiring arrangement, though it lacks the Battery Tender harness which was installed later.

Here's a shot of the final installation, and the Battery Tender connection can be seen tie-wrapped to the feed tube between the rear brake reservoir and rear master brake cylinder. Time for a test ride!

I hope this information helps those who would otherwise skip the chance to install the Odyssey.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

cdp70

"Living the Dream..."
Bike
2003 ST 1300A
STOC #
Re: Odyssey PC545 installation ... photos, too

Nice install and documentation... Hope that battery holds up better than the Yuasa did..

Ride safe... :03biker:

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!

Thanks for the details on the upgrade. I understand you had motivation due to the Yuasa battery shortcomings you experienced. What might those have been? I ask because I flattened my oem Yuasa early on by leaving the key on. I thought it was a gonner but my dealer revived it and it's still playing 5 years later.

Ray

OP
OP
hoowasat
Bike
2006 ST1300A

I understand you had motivation due to the Yuasa battery shortcomings you experienced. What might those have been?
Ray - The original Yuasa battery began losing its charge quickly about 6 months after I bought the bike used (original owner had the bike about 18 months ... bike was about 2 years old). The second Yuasa battery started doing likewise ... would not hold a charge too long ... about 18 months after I installed it. When I say it would not hold a charge "long," I mean that after being fully charged, the bike would not start 8 hours later.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Very nice.. I moved this to the article section and edited your post to show the pics inline.

OP
OP
hoowasat
Bike
2006 ST1300A

Very nice.. I moved this to the article section and edited your post to show the pics inline.
I view that as a compliment, and I'm honored. Thank you, Mellow! My goal was to help others because I could not find any photos or installation info elsewhere. And as I mentioned above, the HBH mounting kit does not include instructions. Thanks again! <Ken>

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #

Nice job, although it does look strange fitting a battery on its end!

I trust the battery tender plug is tied out of the rear shock spring!

OP
OP
hoowasat
Bike
2006 ST1300A

Nice job, although it does look strange fitting a battery on its end!
Thank you. The Odyssey may be installed in any position except inverted. I've purchased Optima batteries in the past for a couple cars, and they can be mounted in any position.

I trust the battery tender plug is tied out of the rear shock spring!
Yes, it does clear the spring, and is tie-wrapped to the rear master brake cylinder's fluid supply tube. I agree that the photo is dark and does appear a little misleading.

OP
OP
hoowasat
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Re: ST1300-Odyssey PC545 installation

How do you like the Odyssey battery so far?:07biker::07biker:
So far, it's been absolutely perfect. On the other hand, I have not "tested" its endurance by leaving the lights burning or operating other accessories with the engine off. Now let me thank you because your question has made me think that I ought to provide performance updates to this thread at least once every six months. After having a new Yuasa battery go bad in less than two years, I'll be happy if this Odyssey battery lasts at least three years. We shall see, huh?

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #

I have experience with these batteries in aircraft. They are very good. I would be disappointed if this one didn't last for 5 years for you.....:07biker::07biker:

OP
OP
hoowasat
Bike
2006 ST1300A

We will see because every time I make something idiot-proof, I usually become a better idiot.

OP
OP
hoowasat
Bike
2006 ST1300A

So far, it's been absolutely perfect. On the other hand, I have not "tested" its endurance by leaving the lights burning or operating other accessories with the engine off. Now let me thank you because your question has made me think that I ought to provide performance updates to this thread at least once every six months.
OK, six months have passed, and it's still operating absolutely perfect. I have not endured a deep discharge, but I did let the bike sit undisturbed for four weeks during a time when we had snow four weeks in a row. Bike was in a quasi-heated garage (rarely gets below 55 degrees F). No starting, no charging ... did not connect the Battery Tender. When I finally cranked the starter, it did not crank as fast as when the battery is "fresh," but it started in less than 3 seconds of cranking.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

Overall what do you think about it, was it worth the time and money? Looks like a nice larger battery which would be good.

:usflag1:

OP
OP
hoowasat
Bike
2006 ST1300A

Overall, I'm still happy with it. On the other hand, it's only been 6 months since the installation. Being that the last Yuasa went only 18 months, I won't be completely happy until I've gone at least 3 years with this one.

OP
OP
hoowasat
Bike
2006 ST1300A

12-month status report ~ The Odyssey battery has continued to operate flawlessly during its first 12 months on in my bike. On the other hand, there was one occasion where it would not crank the motor ... then I slapped my head with thoughts along the line of, "I am such a fool idiot," when I realized the kill switch was turned off.

A month ago, I added XM radio with NavTraffic and NavWeather data services. The bike sat outside for a few hours with the key in the ACC-position while I tried to get the correct satellite signals. I realize that a few electronic gadgets will draw very little amperage, but these were running for a few hours (4 or 5 hours), and I expected I would need to recharge the battery before cranking the engine. Nope. Started right up.

skidlid1300

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
Schwinn

The Oddysey batteries are awesome! I have them in two of my other bikes. The one in my GL 1000 has been there for 8 years now and still going strong!

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #

Okay, I want this kit, I have found the PC545 for under $130 shipped. Have emailed the Honda dealer and waiting for a reply for the kit. Any other hits on getting the kit from the dealer, I will call them Monday and find out more, I hope. This will be a great winter job. :smile:

Thanks for the photos and step by step directions.

OP
OP
hoowasat
Bike
2006 ST1300A

I just installed a PC680MJ, so far so good, just some minor mods to the battery box.
My assumption is that you have an ST1300 without ABS. Do you have any photos of the installation? I'd sure like to see some. Thanks for posting! <Ken>

Top Bottom