Shinko Raven Tires

Bike
06 ST1300
I had a big screw stuck in my Michelin PR2 tires and it's too expensive to throw away (I plan on patching it correctly) so I bought a Shinko Raven tire $96 delivered!
So far it feels just fine and I can't tell the difference. The BMW board had nothing but positives to say about the Shinko.
Anyone else try one of these tires? How long should it last?

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Quote by Shutterbug
The BMW board had nothing but positives to say about the Shinko.
Well of course they do. The second set of tires often out last the rear end!:):)

(My friend Ray now has Shinko tires on 2 of his MCs. Too early to tell, but he likes them.)

jdpfms

JD Power
Bike
ST1300A&FJR1300
I had a big screw stuck in my Michelin PR2 tires and it's too expensive to throw away (I plan on patching it correctly) so I bought a Shinko Raven tire $96 delivered!
So far it feels just fine and I can't tell the difference. The BMW board had nothing but positives to say about the Shinko.
I put a Shinko Raven on my ST rear due to excessive wear of the Dunlop Roadsmart. I have a set of PR2s to put on but the front Roadsmart had lots of wear so decided to try the Raven. So far, it seems just as good as any other rear I've had. I now wish Shinko made a front tire for the ST since I'd give that a try too and way cheaper than the PR2s.

JDP

OP
OP
Shutterbug
Bike
06 ST1300
I put a Shinko Raven on my ST rear due to excessive wear of the Dunlop Roadsmart. I have a set of PR2s to put on but the front Roadsmart had lots of wear so decided to try the Raven. So far, it seems just as good as any other rear I've had. I now wish Shinko made a front tire for the ST since I'd give that a try too and way cheaper than the PR2s.

JDP
I agree. Too bad they don't make a matching set for the ST!

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
I get about 9k out of them. Very good for mostly highway riding.

However sometimes I take them here just to round 'em off a bit. No fear. Good tire.

Attachments

. The BMW board had nothing but positives to say about the Shinko.
Hhhmmm, I'm not so sure I will ever get another Shinko tire again. I had some on my KLR (knobbies) but sold the bike before any thing odd happened with the tires, then I put one on my GS and now reports are coming in on the tire having problems; on the Adventure Rider forum board. The most recent tire in question are NOT knobbies, but an aggressive street tire. Some have had LARGE cuts in them in the middle of the tire, and some (I think including mine) are starting to show some odd stress inside the grooves.

I would like to think it is an isolated incident, but until it gets figured out, I'm not going after another Shinko.

STOC #
I'm running a set on my FJR and VERY impressed with them. Although this is my firST set, reports from another FJR rider indicate 12-15K on the rear and 18K on the front. As mentioned by others, they do not make the ST13 front size.

OP
OP
Shutterbug
Bike
06 ST1300
Hojo, The Raven is specifically designed for sport touring, so the tire is different from the Shinko sport bike tires.
I have had no problems with the Raven in the rain even at freeway speeds. I also contacted Shinko about making a matching front tire for the ST and was told the demand is too low to make the 18" front. Why doesn't the ST have a 17" front tire? What does the larger size do for the rider?

Hojo, The Raven is specifically designed for sport touring, so the tire is different from the Shinko sport bike tires.
I have had no problems with the Raven in the rain even at freeway speeds. I also contacted Shinko about making a matching front tire for the ST and was told the demand is too low to make the 18" front. Why doesn't the ST have a 17" front tire? What does the larger size do for the rider?
I agree they are two different tires, but I now wonder about the quality they may have in general. I just saw some more photos within the last hour of some more failed tires.

June 29th

I've the Raven on for just over 5,000 miles and it still looks good.

Mainly used zipping around the N GA mountains so the wear rate seems pretty good to date

georgiast

Failure is NOT an option...
I bought a Shinko, but tore a chunk out of the bead trying to install it myself. Never got to try it out... Lanman had a Shinko on his at CampStoc, but he had to get a new tire over that weekend as the Shinko wore rapidly towards the end. He only got something over 3k iirc.

Another update.

The rear Raven is toast. It's down to / below the wear bars in the center of the tire.

Total mileage about 5,900 miles. As usual the last bit of tread looks like it could last a 1,000 miles and with a blink of the eye it was gone.

Cost with instalaltion was $125

I used Metzler ME 880 for the past 50,000 miles and they've averaged about 7,000 miles.

Cost with installation $246

Both costs include me removing the wheel and taking it to the tire guy.

I have the time to do this and prefer it so I can clean the wheel, exhaust pipes and amke sure everything get correctly cleaned and greased up etc etc.

I'm waiting for another Shink Raven to be delivered. I have no qualms about using this brand.

I have used the 705 on my KLR and now use the 244.

ps

At nearly 83,000 miles the splines look factory new.

Attachments

Top Bottom