FI panel light

Bike
SV1000S
Just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them on the ST:
Leaving work today I started the bike as usual, only to hear the bike running rough having a hard time holding idle... I gunned it a bit and it ran rough... then I noticed the FI light blinking on instrument cluster. The owners manual says it's the FI thingy dohickie... to ride it to a Honda dealer. I shut the bike off... waited a couple minutes and restarted it... the bike ran fine so I took it out for 50 miles or so,.... (bummer huh?) Possible the FI had a brain fart or something?

STOC #
One thing to check (and it's fairly easy) is that plug that plugs into the airbox, under the tank. Just raise the tank and the plug is right there on top of the airbox. I forgot to hook that plug up one time and the bike did exactly what you describe. FI light blinks and rough idle. Plugged it back in and all was fine.

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth
Pull the stored code(s)

You need to pull the stored PGM-FI code to diagnose this further.

The procedure is on page 5-7 of the service manual, if you have one.

Take the seats off. There's a diagnostic connector/plug just hanging out somewhere back there by the on-board toolkit. With the ingition off, take a bent paperclip (or piece of wire) and short the brown wire to the green/orange wire. Now turn the ignition switch on. Watch the PGM-FI light. Count the number of times it blinks. If the PGM-FI comes on solid (ie. doesn't blink), there are no stored codes.

A long blink (light on for 1.3 seconds) denotes a 10. Short blinks (light on for .5 second) denote a 1. So 1 long, and 2 short, blinks would be a code 12.

If there is more than 1 code stored, the codes will be in order of lowest number to highest number. With a pause between them.

To clear any stored codes;
1) Turn the ignition off
2) Short the brown and green/pink wires of the connector with a paper clip
3) Turn the ignition on
4) Remove the paper clip (while the ignition is still on)
5) The PGM-FI light comes on for about 5 seconds. While the light is on, re-install the paper clip again.
6) The stored codes are erased if the light turns off briefly, and then starts blinking.

Let us know what the stored code(s) are, if any.

BTW. If you pull a code 9, then it's just as george indicated.... the intake air temp (IAT) sensor connection, or the sensor itself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
eddiemack
Bike
SV1000S
Nope,... Having computer experience first thing I ever do when there's a problem is shut it down and reboot. Seems like that did the trick with the ST as well. Shut it off, waited about 2 minutes (enough time to dream about buying that Ducatti ST4) then restarted. Everything was back to normal. Go figure.:tb1:

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth
Good news.
But if you're curious what caused it, there should still be a stored code in ECM. If you use that procedure above, you should be able to pull the code.

I had a similar problem a few months back. After starting, the bike ran very rough and idled around 5-6 rpm before stalling. Up to then it was running great. After trying a few more attempts I rolled it back into the garage. Later it wouldn't start. After the prescribed time the FI light went out. The starter spun it normally, the battery was good, but not even a pop. I checked the fuses on the left side, all good and then went looking for the 30 amp fuse near the battery. Well I disconnected the battery and found the fuse which was fine. After putting everything back together, I tried another start. You guessed right, it started right up and did the warm up idle normal and settled down to 1000 rpm after the warm up. After shutdown, I did the PGM-FI codes as PD mentions in the above but the code that came up had nothing to do with the rough idle and no start. I think that it was just a computer glitch. When I disconnected the battery it shut the computer down and reconnecting rebooted it and any glitch was removed. Later when I had it in at the Honda dealer for the valve check I mentioned it to Service Manager. They put the instrument on the service check connector and found zero faults. He thought that it was a computer glitch. Bike has run normal ever since. :D
Ken

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth
rocky17 said:
He thought that it was a computer glitch. Bike has run normal ever since. :D
Ken
I hate it when stuff like this happens. Always leaves ya with the uneasy feeling that it'll happen again, when you least expect it.

I better not find out that Honda is running Windows in these things.... else we're in big trouble :eek:

Bike
09 ST1300A
Re: Pull the stored code(s)

You need to pull the stored PGM-FI code to diagnose this further.

The procedure is on page 5-7 of the service manual, if you have one.

Take the seats off. There's a diagnostic connector/plug just hanging out somewhere back there by the on-board toolkit. With the ingition off, take a bent paperclip (or piece of wire) and short the brown wire to the green/orange wire. Now turn the ignition switch on. Watch the PGM-FI light. Count the number of times it blinks. If the PGM-FI comes on solid (ie. doesn't blink), there are no stored codes.

I could not find the DLC (data link connector) on my 2009, even though the schematic in the manual for "After 2007 w/ABS" shows it.
In the manual illustrations it shows that the DLC plug is under the rear seat, coming off the main harness that is tie-wrap to the right rear frame near the grab rail.
Has the location of the plug changed for the 2009 ?

Bike
09 ST1300A
STgolpher - good point and I looked for a capped plug but none found. Tonight I'll try to snap a photo of that area to show you guys.
Was my location description correct (where the DLC is suppose to be ?)
Thanks - Ken

Ken - Your bike's plug may have a cap on it, so you're not recognizing it. Some bikes do, some don't. Mine does not.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
You've got the right area Ken. I think that your connector is covered in electrical tape. See below for how mine looks.

Diag. connector.jpg

Now, how did you manage to unearth an almost 8 year old thread? ...

Thread resurrection.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't help myself... ;)

Bike
09 ST1300A
You've got the right area Ken. I think that your connector is covered in electrical tape. See below for how mine looks.

Diag. connector.jpg

Now, how did you manage to unearth an almost 8 year old thread? ...

Thread resurrection.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't help myself... ;)
Scooter, Good view & info I'll check mine deeper tonight - Thanks

Bike
04 ST1300
Going forward:confused: Not been riding my bike for a while or for long rides, on one of my rare rides i noticed the F1 light came on solid, i accelerated rapidly and the bike pick up speed and then seem to loose power as if starved of gas, it recovered and rides normally with f1 on solid. Rode it again after 2 weeks and lights were off for most of the ride, then f1 came on again but bike rides normally. Today i checked the service manual and it says to warm up the bike,put it on the side stand, off the engine, put on the ignition without starting, ensure the run switch is on. After this the F1 light should come on to indicate that they are faults stored in the memory, if F1 lights didn't come on then they are no stored faults or thats my understanding.
In my case the F1 lights just came on and go out as they are meant to do together with fuel pump sound. This means they are no stored faults and i shouldn't bother with trying to retrieve the codes. If so, why then do the lights come on a ride but codes not stored, or maybe i should go ahead and try to retrieve the codes anyway then see what comes up.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I'd check for a stored code might give you a clue where to look for issues.

fault code retrieval
http://stwiki.notonthe.net/twiki/bin/view/ST13/ECMQuickGuide

Top Bottom