HD Shutting down Buell

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
Just a note from working at one of the HD Dealerships......

Well.....we just got word today about the Buell thing. In fact, we found out just as everybody else did. Harley gave us no early heads up or anything. In fact, the decision regarding the Buell and the MV Agusta stuff was made yesterday. I don?t think there?s any coincidence that they got their third quarter earning report yesterday as well.

To be honest, I think Harley is in trouble big time and isn't saying anything. Controversial or not, Buell just took the Daytona championship and that?s big (advertising) bragging rights. It makes no sense to dump the line up just after winning.

At the beginning of this year, Harley knew it was struggling and put on a strong face and made some definitive, decisive, and admirable cuts and decisions in an attempt to survive. However, when the third quarter report arrived, I think Harley had to accept the reality of their situation. I think they?ve moved to panic and are liquidating anything they possibly can as fast as they can. Whether they admit it or not, Harley is in trouble.

As far as predictions:

The Harley market is overly saturated with Harley bikes. This is killing bike sales and value. (Great if you?re trying to buy) With Harley already reducing production of new bikes, there?s going to be fewer bikes to go to each dealer. It would not surprise me to see Harley step in and start closing dealerships. By reducing the number of dealerships, they can reduce the competition between the dealers and be able to supply each dealership with a fuller inventory of bikes to sell. With fewer dealerships, the customer dollar would be more concentrated towards the remaining dealers allowing them to stay profitable and more importantly?.stay open.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
As far as Eric Buell.........if he chooses to leave Harley, Harley will probably have him sign a non-competition agreement that either will not allow him to create anything that competes with Harley or (more probably) will not allow him the use of "Buell" as a motorcycle name.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
As far as Eric Buell.........if he chooses to leave Harley, Harley will probably have him sign a non-competition agreement that either will not allow him to create anything that competes with Harley or (more probably) will not allow him the use of "Buell" as a motorcycle name.
That last probably relates to how his original contract was written.

Remember JarTran? The guy who started it sold a U-Haul competitor and the sale contract forbade him from starting a like company... But, you can't put a guy out of livelihood so he just moved to a very small market and started JarTran.

I wonder if Eric Buell could open up Eric B's bikes... or LLEUB's (and provide a mirror with the it) bikes! :D

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
The Harley market is very low.

Every time we get a load of "take off parts" we end up with a free Sportster to go with them. We do not need another Sportster.

Fortunately the antique HD market still runs very warm.

Here is SoCal we are losing two Honda dealerships by end of month. It's a bad time in the moto biz.

Bike
2006 St1300
I agree, Buell can't go anywhere, Harley owns them.

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
They made the right move with the Rotax engine, as race success has shown, and I'm sure Harley wasn't happy with that either. Unhappiness plus money trouble, kick Buell down the road.

Sad to see him sticking with Harley after they dumped his bikes. I hope he is secretly working behind the scenes to another situation.

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Bombardier Inc. has helped develop a unique and capable flagship product in the 1125R. I wouldn't be suprised to see a similar model reincarnated as one of their offerings. Only time will tell.

Baysidebob

My actuary says I'm dead
MV was a looser business already going under when bought by Harley with borrowed money. Even if they sell it they'll loose money on the deal. Buell? Even though they were allowed to cheat by putting non production bikes in races it was clear they were desperate when they went to the "we don't wave to lesser creatures" ads. Harley survives on one thing: brand loyalty. An overpriced, overweight, under powered bike by any other name, such as Buell, is bad business. I don't feel sorry for their bad decisions. They should get back to their core business selling cruisers and bling with Harley logos. Need a personality? Buy a Harley. Want a bike? Go metric.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
.......An overpriced, overweight, under powered bike by any other name, such as Buell, is bad business........
Actually, in regards to the Buells (ie: 1125R), the bike was affordably priced, had a good amount of power, and was very lightweight. I had a chance to ride one and it was a great ride. Had HD held on a little longer, I believe the Buell bikes would have become quite a competitor to the metric manufacturers.

Bike
2005 ST1300
MV was a looser business already going under when bought by Harley with borrowed money. Even if they sell it they'll loose money on the deal. Buell? Even though they were allowed to cheat by putting non production bikes in races it was clear they were desperate when they went to the "we don't wave to lesser creatures" ads. Harley survives on one thing: brand loyalty. An overpriced, overweight, under powered bike by any other name, such as Buell, is bad business. I don't feel sorry for their bad decisions. They should get back to their core business selling cruisers and bling with Harley logos. Need a personality? Buy a Harley. Want a bike? Go metric.

Man...
You and CabinPete need to go Bowling...

I bet you that Rotax Buell 1125 would have left you wondering where your throttle was on the ST...A little less sugar in your kool aid please...

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Re: Buell is dead...

That is a shame. This is a tough economy right now, the worst I have ever seen. I hate to see another U.S. company fall. :(

DJDixon

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
The Harley market is very low.

Every time we get a load of "take off parts" we end up with a free Sportster to go with them. We do not need another Sportster.
Hey Gruuvy - you can toss any Sportsters my way. With no bike, I'm not picky... besides, I've had a '89 1200, a '99 1200S and a '02 Buell S3T - so I'm game... :D

why do your posts read so angry all the time???:confused::(
In all honesty, that would be you not me. Without having met me you're assuming.

My comment was just an observation no anger intended or implied.

Different people will read the same post differently. You're adding tone, inflection to the words in your own head. Something I can't control.

I'm blunt and matter of fact but I make no apologies for it.

I usually don't post on basic general threads or personal matters so you can't read that side of me.

I've added words to posts such as respectfully, INMO, YMMV to try and show respect but that I disagree. I guess it's not working.

I was trained my entire life to look for problems and correct them so I don't have time to hold hands but I'm trying.

Hope the above helps, if not go eff yourself:D

I'll also give you a little more information. I read the post on Karen's accident (and many many others, I care I'm just not a word smith like Bones and many others) but as I was reading I was seeing posts on ridding ability blah blah blah. She rides in the snow for the love of me I think she knows her ability. If I posted there it would have been reflecting stupid posts and not the core of the thread, this would have created a riff so I stay away. I am also one to donate to causes but it's done anonymously, for the life of me I don't understand why people need that recognition. Give and shut up, quit making it about you and looking for attaboys
I'm pretty sure this addition helped my cause (insert roll eye's here)

Bike
07 Buell XB12X
Yikes! Why all the hate? Erik Buell started a company out of a barn and built it up to the point where he was building high quality motorcycles with 200 hard working people in Wisconsin. He was successful because he is passionate about motorcycles and the people that ride them, an innovator, and a risk taker. It's a great example of the American Dream. I think it's a sad day when that company, its employees, and his dream were basically tossed in the toilet because f****** HD isn't making enough money. There's 200 folks in East Troy, Wisconsin that are going to have a real sh**** holiday this year. I guess those are good reasons to bash the company. If you need a Harley for personality, maybe you should stop by your local Harley dealer and pick one up.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
+1, if they'd gotten the quality under control Buell would've been on my radar for purchase.
I've been dealing with the Buells for a couple of years and haven't seen anything out of the normal as far as quality. And that's comparing it with my experiences with the metric companies as well.

I have to say that an 1125 powered Ulysses would have been friggin' awesome. :D

Top Bottom