All ST1300's are 50 state legal, but....

Bike
2005 ST1300
What Is Considered a New Vehicle?
California law considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer when acquired by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state. If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law. DMV cannot accept an application to register the vehicle, and you cannot register or operate the vehicle in California.

Exceptions
As usual, there are a few exceptions included in the law. As a California resident or business you may be able to register a 49-State vehicle if you:

Obtained it as part of a divorce or inheritance settlement.
Purchased it to replace a vehicle stolen while you were using it out of state.
Purchased it to replace a vehicle which was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state.
Were on active military duty outside California, and you registered the vehicle in the state of your last military service.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

OP
OP
FlexyRacer

FlexyRacer

Be Seeing You
Bike
2007 ST1300
What Is Considered a New Vehicle?
California law considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer when acquired by a California resident or business to be a new vehicle. This holds true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state. If you acquire a new vehicle from another state, you may not subsequently drive it to accumulate over 7,500 miles to circumvent the law. DMV cannot accept an application to register the vehicle, and you cannot register or operate the vehicle in California.

Exceptions
As usual, there are a few exceptions included in the law. As a California resident or business you may be able to register a 49-State vehicle if you:

Obtained it as part of a divorce or inheritance settlement.
Purchased it to replace a vehicle stolen while you were using it out of state.
Purchased it to replace a vehicle which was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state.
Were on active military duty outside California, and you registered the vehicle in the state of your last military service.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm
Quote from the Ca. DMV brochure entitled: "Register a Vehicle From Out of State" which I have in my hand right now: ahem, I read....clearing throat...

"California Law prohibits Ca. residents or businesses from importing and / or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase UNLESS it MEETS or is excempt from Ca. Emission standards". If you acquire a 49 state vehicle (manufactured for all states except California) from another state or country, you may NOT be able to register your vehicle in Ca."

That says it ALL. If it was originally a vehicle built for CA. that left the state and then you buy it in another state and bring it back into Ca., it meets Ca. emissions if it was left in stock condition. If the vehicle you buy out of state is a "50 state" version like our ST1300's, they also meet Ca. emissions. Full context must be applied when reading it.

It took a lot of research and BS debugging to reach the truth. No matter how I framed the questions, the DMV employees seemed to give different "pat" answers without giving it much thought. Anyone who thinks that only the 7,500 miles pertains to registration without considering whether the vehicle is CA. compliant or not is incorrect. I am willing to put my cash where my mouth is and probably will soon. This goes to show you how vital correct interpretation is. Even the DMV personnel, if not correctly experienced and trained, will give false interpretations and make people go through a living hell. But then again, that is our government at work. It's been that way since I was a kid. Maybe some day it will improve, yeah, right, when
:pf1:

Badbad

John McFayden
Bike
2003 GL1800
STOC #
If you received an Owners Manual look at pages 172 and 181. It will provide the information you are loking for.
Should you not have one I can E-mail you the pages in question.

OP
OP
FlexyRacer

FlexyRacer

Be Seeing You
Bike
2007 ST1300
If you received an Owners Manual look at pages 172 and 181. It will provide the information you are loking for.
Should you not have one I can E-mail you the pages in question.
If you are writing to me, I haven't gotten a bike yet. My issues are solved though and as far as I am concerned, my questions have been answered. Thank you very much.

OP
OP
FlexyRacer

FlexyRacer

Be Seeing You
Bike
2007 ST1300
I find that your advice is very true. Some of their off the wall requirements they throw out to unsuspecting citizens may require creative (but legal) solutions. BTW, I passed on the salvage bike, though I am sure it is a good one. Don't want to waste time placating DMV.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Old thread but I have a problem. I'm trying to transfer my reg over to CA. They want a CARB 50 state sticker. When I was rear ended I had to replace the inner fender where the sticker was, so I have no sticker. Any ideas what I can do to get one?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Old thread but I have a problem. I'm trying to transfer my reg over to CA. They want a CARB 50 state sticker. When I was rear ended I had to replace the inner fender where the sticker was, so I have no sticker. Any ideas what I can do to get one?
not sure how much work an inner fender swap is, but SupraSabre has a 1300 sitting around, maybe he'll let you borrow his inner fender for a trip to the DMV. Also, as was mentioned earlier in this post, you go to the DMV 3 different times and get 3 different answers, so sometimes just going back to a different DMV employee solves your problem.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
not sure how much work an inner fender swap is, but SupraSabre has a 1300 sitting around, maybe he'll let you borrow his inner fender for a trip to the DMV. Also, as was mentioned earlier in this post, you go to the DMV 3 different times and get 3 different answers, so sometimes just going back to a different DMV employee solves your problem.

I went to AAA. They looked it up and saw it was supposed to be under the seat. I assume my Honda dealer can get one with a vin #. The vin# is stamped on the sticker I guess.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I went to AAA. They looked it up and saw it was supposed to be under the seat. I assume my Honda dealer can get one with a vin #. The vin# is stamped on the sticker I guess.
I don't see a vin number but is does list model year. Do you have to present the bike? Maybe just a photo of somebody's 06
MCS-910 looks like part of the sticker number.

carb.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I suspect its a generic year of manufacture sticker that has no VIN info, like the picture in the previous post. The part I wonder about though is if that's anything that Honda would have in stock after the production run is finished for the model year. Its not like a replacement part that they'd normally stock, its one of those things you just never give any thought to until something like this happens. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I think for cars the sticker is under the hood somewhere, so they have to get trashed in a front end collision. I wonder if they put a new sticker in when they do the body work, or not? A call to an auto body shop to see what they do in this situation for cars might provide some info. They could probably tell you if its just something that you get from the manufacturer when its needed, and its no big deal, or if its just ignored when the body work is performed.

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
What's really interesting about those stickers is that they clearly have a part number (xxxxx-MCS-910), are shown as parts on the parts fiche diagram but not on the list of parts available to order. Maskes me wonder if that's a dealer-only item.

--Mark

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
What's really interesting about those stickers is that they clearly have a part number (xxxxx-MCS-910), are shown as parts on the parts fiche diagram but not on the list of parts available to order. Maskes me wonder if that's a dealer-only item.

--Mark
Yea, I searched the parts list on Service Honda and saw they showed them but had no item numbers listed. That's why I figured the dealer needed a vin# to get one.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #

--Mark
Found this in a web search:

"When installing a replacement emission control information labels on a vehicle which has a defaced, damaged or missing label, the label intended for that particular vehicle must be installed. Installation of label other than the one which is intended for the vehicle is in violation of federal and state laws, which may result in severe fines and penalties being imposed. It should also be noted that California law states that no person other than the manufacturer, or person authorized by the manufacturer, shall install a vehicle emission control label on any motor vehicle. Persons found in violation of the California law are subject to a fine up to $5,000.00 and/or imprisonment for up to a year."

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Check ebay for a used '06 fender. Check with seller and make sure said sticker is on it.

You could also try checking with the different sealers and see if they have one sitting around.

Big pain to have to swap them, but it would save you some PIA in the long run!

ebay 05-Honda-ST-1300-Rear-Fender

Not sure if a ST1300P would matter?

2006 ST1300P-Rear-Plastic-Inner-Fender

Here's a 2010:

2010-Honda-ST-1300-ST1300A-Inner-Rear-Fender

Another 2006:

2006-HONDA-ST1300-ST-1300-UNDERTAIL-UNDER-TAIL-REAR-FENDER

Another 2006:

2006-ST1300A-ST1300-A-ABS-REAR-RR-UNDER-FENDER-TAIL

Last edited:

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Check ebay for a used '06 fender. Check with seller and make sure said sticker is on it.

You could also try checking with the different sealers and see if they have one sitting around.

Big pain to have to swap them, but it would save you some PIA in the long run!
If I have to swap one out I will but I would rather not. Changing those sucks! I'll wait to hear back from my dealer in CT.

Bike
1997 Honda ST1100
I work for Ford parts and we have the ability to order emissions,a/c and other labels that are not listed in our parts catalog from a Ford authorized third party. We have to fill out a particular form with the VIN and the reason that the label is missing i.e., crash, wear, damage, curling. Takes about a week to get it but we can get it. May be true that only the larger dealers know how to get one (we do a large amount of wholesale to body shops and such). Definitely have to be a Honda dealer though.

Top Bottom