All ST1300's are 50 state legal, but....

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Well, it was AAA but the guy there seemed like a DMV worker. Wonder if I could say it was damaged and was replaced and I still have the original fender...Maybe I could get out of not installing it.:shrug1: Is it possible to call and actually talk to person about this?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, it was AAA but the guy there seemed like a DMV worker. Wonder if I could say it was damaged and was replaced and I still have the original fender...Maybe I could get out of not installing it.:shrug1: Is it possible to call and actually talk to person about this?
Even if you talked to someone, chances are when you go in, it will be someone different and they will have a different opinion how it works! You'll never get the same answer twice from DMV.

I'm surprised AAA even did anything. Anytime I have tried AAA with an out of state bike, they say they can't help and I have to take it to DMV so they can inspect it. If you have the fender, you could take it, along with your paperwork showing the work done. That might get you through...no guaranties though.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Even if you talked to someone, chances are when you go in, it will be someone different and they will have a different opinion how it works! You'll never get the same answer twice from DMV.

I'm surprised AAA even did anything. Anytime I have tried AAA with an out of state bike, they say they can't help and I have to take it to DMV so they can inspect it. If you have the fender, you could take it, along with your paperwork showing the work done. That might get you through...no guaranties though.
Good point about talking to someone and then getting there and receiving a different answer. Probably just easier to install it.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
wait a minute, did I understand you correctly that you haven't actually been to the DMV yet, you only went to AAA? If so, then I'd at least setup a DMV appointment online and go talk to them first. Not saying that I'd expect them to be more lenient than AAA, but as all of us have been saying you never get the same answer twice at the DMV so its worth giving it a try to see if you get lucky the first time. Also, I know logic and DMV don't mix, but given the circumstances maybe someone at the DMV could look up the fact that all ST1300s for that model year met all 50 states emissions standards and waive the sticker requirement. Since motorcycles are exempt from the tailpipe smog inspection process anyway, they may be flexible on the sticker requirement.

Another thing to try, but it will cost you a few bucks, is to find one of the DMV wizards that can somehow get things done when nobody else can. They're around if you look for them.

Last edited:

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
wait a minute, did I understand you correctly that you haven't actually been to the DMV yet, you only went to AAA? If so, then I'd at least setup a DMV appointment online and go talk to them first. Not saying that I'd expect them to be more lenient than AAA, but as all of us have been saying you never get the same answer twice at the DMV so its worth giving it a try to see if you get lucky the first time. Also, I know logic and DMV don't mix, but given the circumstances maybe someone at the DMV could look up the fact that all ST1300s for that model year met all 50 states emissions standards and waive the sticker requirement. Since motorcycles are exempt from the tailpipe smog inspection process anyway, they may be flexible on the sticker requirement.

Another thing to try, but it will cost you a few bucks, is to find one of the DMV wizards that can somehow get things done when nobody else can. They're around if you look for them.
No. I've only been to AAA for the vin, frame check. Already paid the fees. Just need the emissions sticker taken care off. Much easier to walk into a AAA and not wait.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Have you tried getting an appointment with DMV lately? It's nuts!

I had to go to DMV twice over the last few months! What a joke!

First was for my instate salvage titled bike that they still needed to verify the VIN. It took me three to four hours. Last to leave that day... no appointment.

The second was for my DL. I made an appointment, earliest was a month + away. When I went, there was a really long line around the building. They would allow only so many in at a time. I bypassed the line and went to the door, show my appointment to the "guard" and went straight to the appointment window. Got a number and I was out of there in twenty minutes!

Avoid DMV at any cost!

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Have you tried getting an appointment with DMV lately? It's nuts!

I had to go to DMV twice over the last few months! What a joke!

First was for my instate salvage titled bike that they still needed to verify the VIN. It took me three to four hours. Last to leave that day... no appointment.

The second was for my DL. I made an appointment, earliest was a month + away. When I went, there was a really long line around the building. They would allow only so many in at a time. I bypassed the line and went to the door, show my appointment to the "guard" and went straight to the appointment window. Got a number and I was out of there in twenty minutes!

Avoid DMV at any cost!

I just checked online. Earliest appointment is August 18th.:-|

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
If it's any consolation, things are not quite the same here in Florida.

I had to go to DMV to transfer the 1100 I got last week to my name (we get 10 days to do it).
Fortunately there's an office near my work, so went down with no appointment (since if it's too busy, I can come back at another time).
Monday I left at the office 11:00am to try to get in before the lunch rush, got down there, took a number, sat down, number called, transferred the title, got new tag, got new plate, paid the taxes due on the sale, Paid the $225 it cost me, and out.
Was back in my office before 11:25am.

In the immortal words of Hannibal, "I love it when a plan comes together".

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
If it's any consolation, things are not quite the same here in Florida.

I had to go to DMV to transfer the 1100 I got last week to my name (we get 10 days to do it).
Fortunately there's an office near my work, so went down with no appointment (since if it's too busy, I can come back at another time).
Monday I left at the office 11:00am to try to get in before the lunch rush, got down there, took a number, sat down, number called, transferred the title, got new tag, got new plate, paid the taxes due on the sale, Paid the $225 it cost me, and out.
Was back in my office before 11:25am.

In the immortal words of Hannibal, "I love it when a plan comes together".

Just try that in California! :rofl1:

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I just checked online. Earliest appointment is August 18th.:-|
set it up and go in. With an appointment you're usually out of there fairly quick, half hour or so. I've gone to the Poway office a couple times in the last year. Walk-in is a joke, don't even consider that option. They've closed a few offices in the county over the years, so the ones that are still around are way overloaded.

Since you already paid the fees, they're probably not going to give you any trouble about being past some deadline if you wait a few weeks. The payment is usually the only thing that's on the clock, they'll give you time leeway for various paperwork to go through the system. But I'm not 100% sure about that always being the case, so you may want to verify that with the DMV but I don't know how you would do that.

The thing I wonder about though is they will likely ask you why you weren't able to complete the entire process at AAA. And I also wonder if the emissions sticker issue is entered into the DMV database somewhere by AAA. I'd have a story ready if they don't bring up the sticker, and if they do, then I guess you'll just have to explain your problem and ask them how you should proceed if you can't get a replacement sticker.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Ok. So I made an appointment and went in this morning. I explained what happened and they said to get the Vin/engine #'s checked and go back to see her. So I get that checked and go back to see her.

She punches the info in and the saga starts again.....

Now the paperwork has to be sent to Sacramento so they can review it and make a recommendation. She also gave me a # to call, ARB (Air Resource Board). Not sure what good that will do me but I'll give them a call tomorrow. She did give me a temp reg good till November, not that I need it anyway.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ok. So I made an appointment and went in this morning. I explained what happened and they said to get the Vin/engine #'s checked and go back to see her. So I get that checked and go back to see her.

She punches the info in and the saga starts again.....

Now the paperwork has to be sent to Sacramento so they can review it and make a recommendation. She also gave me a # to call, ARB (Air Resource Board). Not sure what good that will do me but I'll give them a call tomorrow. She did give me a temp reg good till November, not that I need it anyway.
Yeah, I'm wondering what fun I'll have with my new 2012 ST1300 when I bring it down from Washington. I know I'll get one of those idiots that will think it has to have 7,500 miles on it before it can be brought into the state! :eek:4:

Bike
2005 st 1300
STOC #
Yeah, I'm wondering what fun I'll have with my new 2012 ST1300 when I bring it down from Washington. I know I'll get one of those idiots that will think it has to have 7,500 miles on it before it can be brought into the state! :eek:4:
if u have any issues ill just do it in oregon and you will have 2 years to get those miles on it and then reg it in cali.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Give it to me and I will put 7500 miles on it in 2 weeks. :D

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
if u have any issues ill just do it in oregon and you will have 2 years to get those miles on it and then reg it in cali.
Give it to me and I will put 7500 miles on it in 2 weeks. :D
Nice try guys! Let's see, I have speedos with 15K (Cop), 19K (UK Cop) 60K, 65K(Cop) & 67K, gee, which one should I use?

:rofl1:

Byron

STOC #
You won't have any problems with it. You'll have paperwork from the dealer so they will treat it as a new vehicle for tax purposes. You'll still need a vin verification but that will be it. Besides, your's has all the stickers. Only the hassle of dealing with DMV lines. :)

Top Bottom